What defines a NICE hypo (Salmon) - PICS ATTACHED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What defines a NICE hypo (Salmon) - PICS ATTACHED

I am wondering what traits are used to classify a Salmon as high quality and what one looks for in a salmon when thinking of combining for sunglows.

Looking at salmon boa for instance, I see a lot of variety in salmons and wonder what is considering high quality breeding material and what is not. I have a few samples below to illustrate my point.

Some are some that are brown backgroun with a brownish red tail and plenty of black specs.

Some are cream background with lighter cream on tail and pinkish/orange patters and few spots

Others have less salmon color in the core body and are lighter in color generally. But hae more intense tails and a tail that is close in color to the main body.

Finally some are an intense salmon color througout the entire body with little specking and intese tails.

There is obviously quite a bit of difference between the various pictures and one would never mix the samples up like you might do with twins. So what makes one better than the other?

What traits are sought in a salmon and why? Does one go for salmons for the intese colors, for the specking, for the cream...etc.

Secondly, Sunglows are my favorite looking snakes now adays. What features of the salmon are kepts with the combination of the albino gene ( is it the pattern on the back), the tail colors, the salmon background color, or something else.

Sorry that my questions are probably Newbish, but we all started out as noobs at one time in our lives.

Re: What defines a NICE hypo (Salmon) - PICS ATTACHED

You are talking about salmons right... not hypos.. I thought they were diffrent. Here is a pic of my hypo.

I don't know what makes a salmon but I know a hypo means they have no black/brown pigment.. melenane (SP) which is what causes freckles in humans.

So I believe what would make a high end salmon or hypo would be lack of melanin.

Kristin.

Comment

Thanks Kristin

From what I have read about boa morphs a salmon is a hypo. Super salmons are produced from 2 hypos breed to each other. The Super Salmon is dominate and the salmon is co-dominant.

But what makes a good salmon/hypo and what makes a VERY good one?

Comment

salmon and hypo are two different bloodlines of basically the same trait. Rich Ihle and Jeff Gee both have a distinct line of hypos that are named after them. There is the Gee line or "orange tail" hypo, and the Ihle line of "salmon hypos". I'm under the impression that the best hypo's are very clean and have as little melanin as possible. . .

Comment

Well from what I understand a Hypo and Salmon are the same genetic trait and work the same, it's just that Rich Ihle calls his hypo's salmons. The hypo trait is a reduction of melanin not a lack of(that is an albino). I would say that a good hypo depends on what you are looking for. I personally like the darker more red hypos that are as clean as possible. If you wanted to make ghosts a lighter hypo might be better. Also, I've noticed some hypos are more orange and some are more red, I like the red ones better. Does that help any? I'm sure someone more knowledgeable then me will explain more.

Comment

"I have a few samples below to illustrate my point."

Confused you might want to at least say those are not your boas or your pictures when you post them, those are all boas currently for sale at Salmonboa.com Please give credit to some ones animals when you are using thier pictures.

As for the traits that make for a good salmon, it is all up to you, but normally the ones with less brown and more red or orange are better quality and less black is never a bad thing!

Good luck.

Comment

What I look for in hypos / salmons:

1. Color - Undertone color is of the highest importance to me. Why? Because thats whats left when you plug it into an albino. Also the base tone darkness. Too dark will lead to excessive "muddying up". Unusual eye coloration can also play a role.

2. Contrast - Sometimes a "Soft" look is nice (low contrast) and sometimes a "Crisp" look is nice (high contrast). Extreme variations of both are desirable. I also like to see solid tails and bright colorful saddles.

3. Pattern - Abberancies in the saddles/tail are always a plus. We are seeing more and more pattern abberancies come out of salmonboa lately. I have a few abberant salmons myself and they are awesome!

4. Speckling - The less .. the better. But if any of the above points are at desirable levels... speckling can defenitly be overlooked. A clean look is what we want for the most part though.

Thats about it I think ... Extreme levels of any of the points dictate a very desirable hypo/salmon.

Last edited by TopNotchBoas; 05-03-2005, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by free4unwanted
                You are talking about salmons right... not hypos.. I thought they were diffrent.

I don't know what makes a salmon but I know a hypo means they have no black/brown pigment.. melenane (SP) which is what causes freckles in humans.

So I believe what would make a high end salmon or hypo would be lack of melanin.

Kristin.
                They (orange tail "Gee - line" hypos and salmons) are different and unique bloodlines that may have the same founding parents.

Hypo is a reduction of melanin. If you take it all away you got an "albino" boa (which is actually not an albino, just an amelanistic boa.. or lacking all melanin). Melanin is brown/black pigmentation. It causes all coloration in humans (we dont have etherin (red) or xanthin (yellow) like boas and many reptiles do).

Comment

Ok.. I spoke wrong.. technically it is a lack of melanin... but if you take melanin away it isn't an albino.. an albino lacks color of all kinds, not just melanin.

Kristin

BTW.. I did say lack...

Comment

Originally posted by LocoLizard
                    Confused you might want to at least say those are not your boas or your pictures when you post them, those are all boas currently for sale at Salmonboa.com Please give credit to some ones animals when you are using thier pictures.

As for the traits that make for a good salmon, it is all up to you, but normally the ones with less brown and more red or orange are better quality and less black is never a bad thing!

Good luck.
                    Loco you are absolutely right. Those are not my boas! I hope it did not come across as being my boas. In fact that is why I wrote
                    Looking at salmon boa for instance
                    Thank you for bringing that to light and allowing me to further clarify it for ther other readers who might not have understood it as intended.
                    Again, the samples are from www.salmonboa.com and are just various illustrations - from that website - to find what is considered highly desireable in salmon boas.

Comment

Ok.. I spoke wrong.. technically it is a lack of melanin... but if you take melanin away it isn't an albino.. an albino lacks color of all kinds, not just melanin.

Kristin

BTW.. I did say lack...
                      Right, thats what I said:

"If you take it all away you got an "albino" boa (which is actually not an albino, just an amelanistic boa.. or lacking all melanin)"

What we call "albino boas" arent actually albino boas at all, they are amelanistic boas. A true albino boa would lack all pigment.

And, you didnt say lack, you said " don't know what makes a salmon but I know a hypo means they have no black/brown pigment.."

Comment

And my last sentence was....
                        I know what hypo means... I know what melanin is.. please don't try to make my look wrong... I said it was a poor choice of words to begin with. And some hypos don't have black or brown.. They only have the red and yellow. So my wording was off but not incorrect.

I suppose I should have said the less melanin they had they higher end they would be..

Kristin

Comment

LOL Kristin.. It can get confusing, can't it?

While I believe Salmon bloodlines and Orange Tail bloodlines are completely different overall they are still both hypomelanistic.

Hypomelanistic, simply means low melanin. Low black.

Amelanistic (albino) means NO melanin. No black.

The main differences in Salmon and Hypos (other than price ) is visual. That is the most obvious of differences to me. Hypomelanistic boas in general really muddy up with age. Some to the point they don't even look hypomelanistic anymore.

Salmons on the other hand are well known for an incredible ability to retain their awesome coloring and wash throughout life. Rich has done a spectacular job with the Salmon line and is producing some of the most stunning boas on the planet (See his sunglows for example)

Here is a picture of 2 3 year old boas. A Possible SuperSalmon and a "Normal" hypomelanistic boa.

I do point out here that this hypo is in a dark phase about to shed, but still you can see the incredible difference.

And I believe those pics you posted can all be found at Salmonboas.com, where I might add, you cannot go wrong with a purchase.
                          Last edited by ClayEnglish; 05-03-2005, 04:43 PM.
                          To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
                          -Clay English
                          Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

And my last sentence was....

I know what hypo means... I know what melanin is.. please don't try to make my look wrong... I said it was a poor choice of words to begin with. And some hypos don't have black or brown.. They only have the red and yellow. So my wording was off but not incorrect.

I suppose I should have said the less melanin they had they higher end they would be..

Kristin
                            Hypomelanism is a reduction of melanin. There are absolutely no hypos lacking all melanin and left with only red or yellow (that would make it an "albino" boa). Melanin is also tan coloration and any degree of it (think people). All hypos have a typical range of reduced melanin (tans, browns, blacks) that sets them apart from normals. I would also disagree that the less melanin the higher end the hypo is. I outlined above the key points to a desirable hypo.

Comment

Thanks Clay and Ryan... I'll be looking for a hypo or a salmon fairly soon here. It's great that we can get clarifications on what makes a nice hypo or salmon.

Comment

Working...
                              X