Albino female x motley het albino?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albino female x motley het albino?

what will i get? Does the albino have to be het for motley for me to produce albino motleys or am i all wrong? Thanks everyone.

Re: Albino female x motley het albino?

I'm far from the resident genetics expert, but I think you will get....

25% Het Albino
    25% Albino
    25% Motley Het Albino
    25% Albino Motley

Of course these numbers aren't set in stone, but they should be close.

Gurus please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Is the albino a normal and not Motley in your scenario? I don't think you would get 25% Albino Motley. You should get 25% albino, but I don't think they will all be motley.

Motley is codom right?

This is an interesting question; I hope a few experienced folks will chime in.

I think if it's codom then the albinos will be het for motley, but not look it. If it's dominant then they should be albino motleys right?

Comment

She is a kahl strain albino. Not het for motley. I think i will get albinos het for motley then I can breed those back to the motley to get albino motleys.. I might be wrong, but it sounds right.

Comment

i think you get 50% motley het albino and 50% regular het albino.

Comment

anyone thought about trying the genetics wizard?

Melissa

Comment

You're right. The Motley is a co-dominant trait. Although that term is the subject of debate. When breeding Motley X Normal you will end up with approximately 50% Motley, and 50% completely Normal babies. When breeding Motley X Motley you will get 50% Super, and 50% Motley. A Super X Normal yields all Motley. The Super form is very obvious to even the untrained eye.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeCharmer View Post

25% Het Albino
                25% Albino
                25% Motley Het Albino
                25% Albino Motley

Of course these numbers aren't set in stone, but they should be close.

Gurus please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope this helps.
                This is for the most part correct. Each neonate will be one of those listed above (a 25% chance for each one). Motley is a co-dominant trait so the albino does not need to be "het" for motley.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeCharmer View Post

25% Het Albino
                  25% Albino
                  25% Motley Het Albino
                  25% Albino Motley
                  Thats right. There is no such thing as het for motley, hypo, salmon, arab or jungle. (I think that covers them all) You can get het albino, het anery, het blood and a few other ones. Some actually mean the same thing and you can use 2 names for it. Like an albino het anery is the same as an albino het snow.

Steve

Comment

I did use the wizard on my example. Just forgot to mention.

So what will the phenotype be on the albinos?

Comment

so snake charmer? is motley x motley def super and motley only? i would have thought it was like other co-doms and that even mot x mot you will get some normals as you do with ara's, hypos etc?

hope I am wrong as I hoep to breed motleys this coming season!!!

Comment

Your right Peter. Motley X motley is 25% supers, 50% motleys and 25% normals. Just like hypos.

Steve

Comment

I just wanted to add that there certainly are het motleys. The term heterozygous does not apply solely to recessive mutations. A "non-super" motley is a heterozygous motley. A "super" motley is a homozygous motley.

Because motleys are not a recessive mutation, they will always be visually distinguishable. You either have a motley or you dont. There are no "silent carriers" as with albinos.

The following is indeed the correct ratio of babies from an albino to a motley het albino:

25% Het Albino
                          25% Albino
                          25% Motley Het Albino
                          25% Albino Motley

Comment

Working...
                          X