Albino Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albino Question...

OK, so there are at least two lines of albino boas, right? Kahl and Sharp. I've read that they are not compatible, but what's the difference? I've seen a couple of different looks. For instance, those that Clay has availible have a lot of orange in them. Then I've seen some that are just a muted yellow throughout. I am so confused....

-Sean in NoCal
    “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
    -Teddy Roosevelt.

Re: Albino Question...

Well normally Sharp strain are...well...sharper than Kahl. LOL! They tend to keep their color through adulthood while Kahl strains tend to wash out as they age. Sharp strains are more rare and also command a higher price than Kahl. I actually prefer the Kahl over the Sharp but I may be the minority in this.

Comment

i prefer kahl as well they have a much brighter color and are just more eye catching... jmo though

Comment

The genes that case the albinoism is on differrent gene loci.
        So if you breed a Kaln to Sharp line you get a normal het for both forms of albino.
        Part of the color difference has to do with color from the contributing gene pool.

Comment

Here is a few Sharp from Doug Matuszaks website
          Albino-more yellow than most

Same

Baby Paradox Sharp Albino fem

Sunglow

Sunglow

Sunglow

Sunglow

Here is probably the best Sharp Strain Albino to date. Actually Sharp Strain Pastel Dream Albino .First thought to be a Sunglow in '05 now its obvious its just an extreme Pastel Dream Sharp Albino

What's not to like,LOL
          . . . . . Lar M

Lar M
          Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

So Doug's actually admiting some of them "sunglows" are actually bino's now?

Better late then never!

I have a friend with a sharp BCC cross (25% Suri/Guyana and 75% Colombian, I think) that is incredible. Here's a photo that does it really no justice:

Comment

I like the extra red that it brings, but not the yellow. I'm a big fan of the Lipstick contrast look myself. I do like what they do to those sunglows for sure though, smokin.

Do they make a more yellow snow boa?
              Last edited by Sidviciouser; 11-13-2008, 12:56 PM. Reason: added snow Q

Comment

Originally posted by TopNotchBoas View Post
                So Doug's actually admiting some of them "sunglows" are actually bino's now?

Better late then never!

I have a friend with a sharp BCC cross (25% Suri/Guyana and 75% Colombian, I think) that is incredible. Here's a photo that does it really no justice:

Right Ryan,LOL Doug is a somewhat stubborn fellow,LOL. He has finally recognized the truth though,LOL.
                The Sharp BCC(Suri Guynan or combo of both) really do make spectacular Sharp Albino and Sunglow Boas. I think there is more retention of saddle color when BCC is in the mix. That Sunglow your friend has is outstanding.
                . . . . . Lar M

Lar M
                Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sidviciouser View Post
                  I like the extra red that it brings, but not the yellow. I'm a big fan of the Lipstick contrast look myself. I do like what they do to those sunglows for sure though, smokin.

Do they make a more , yellow snow boa?
                  In my opinion the Sharp Snow is about the same maybe slightly less yellow.
                  I have to agree with you Sid yellow is pretty on some Boas and in some Morph combos. Although I would prefer to develop and see Boas lacking yellow altogether. Keeping red in the picture. Yellow just ruins so many Boas in my opinion,Snow Boas would look better pure white. Hypo Boas that don't yellow most of the time would be nicer Hypo.All the way down line yellow would be nice to eliminate.
                  . . . . . Lar M

Lar M
                  Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

I wanted to touch on what minguss said so you can understand why they aren't compatible. You can actually think of the Sharp and Kahl strains like comparing albinism and anerythrism; they are completely separate. There are different types of albinism in people affecting all affecting some of the many pigments and this is much the same.

Comment

OK, hypothetical question....
                      If I buy (or win) an albino from Clay, can I buy a 100% (sorry Jeff, don't know how else to put it...)het albino from my buddy and will they make some albie babies?

-Sean in NoCal
                      “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
                      -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Yes assuming that both albinos are Kahl strain, which, unless otherwise specified usually are as Sharps are still not as common and fetch a considerably higher price.

albino x het albino = half albinos and half hets

Remember that all you have to say is "het albino." It either is or isn't, the only time the percents come in is for probability.

Comment

Originally posted by Boa Amarali View Post
                          Yellow just ruins so many Boas in my opinion,Snow Boas would look better pure white. . . . . . Lar M
                          I live in Utah and we all know to stay away from yellow snow.

Comment

Working...
                          X