To trade or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To trade or not?

Ok, well I've been debating this for a while now and figured I could always just come on here and get some opinions to help me decide.
    I've got an 07 male albino that I've had since he was a neo. I got him because 1. I've always loved the look of albinos and 2. with the intention of breeding him to my 07 hog island.
    Thing is, as per usual he has really yellowed up and lost nearly all of his orange and white and that yellow that's left over just doesn't seem as appealing to mix with the beautiful colors of my hog now that they've both grown and changed. So I've been considering other possible morphs, and as of right now the sunglow is near the top of my list.
    I absolutely loved the bright orange on my albino before he lost it, and hogs have some beautiful orange in their light phase, so I can see mixing in some of that bright orange and high contrast color of the sunglow down the line making something pretty awesome.
    So here's the dilemma, would it even be likely that I could find someone that would trade an 08 or older sunglow male for an 07 albino male? Or would I be more likely to be able to just sell my male and use that money towards the purchase of a sunglow? And I also don't want to get stuck with a new 09 male that won't be able to breed for another 2 years considering my hog should be ready to go any time now.
    I'd rather do a straight up trade, but there are always drawbacks of trustworthiness and the fact that there are a lot more people out there looking for money instead of more snakes.
    So what do you think? Comments, opinions, advice on absolutely anything I've said would be appreciated.

Re: To trade or not?

No way somebody is going to trade you a sunglow for an albino unless they have no clue what they're doing. Albinos are everywhere and easy to produce, a sunglow is a double homozygous animal, meaning they're more difficult to produce, you get less in each litter, etc. You can either sell your albino and use the money toward a sunglow or trade your albino plus cash for a sunglow. Also, the likelihood of finding a breeding age sunglow for sale is much less. An 08 or younger will be easy to find, but most people want to hang on to their breeding age sunglows. Hope this helps.
    http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

From the description of your male, he may be harder to sell. Most people are looking for those "high color" Albinos these days. I doubt that somebody with a Sunglow would want to trade it for a faded Albino, even if you added cash to it as well.

Have you thought about keeping your Albino??

Then you could still get a nice Sunglow for your Hog..... BTW why are you wanting to breed a Sunglow to your Hog??

You know, it might be easier/better if you simply got a nicely colored "female" Sunglow and bred that to your Albino male. Then you could produce some nice Sunglows and Albinos. Depending on the quailty of the Sunglow you get, you could get some INCREDIBLE Albinos out of that breeding as well.

Anway, if you got a Sunglow and bred to your Hog...you'd end up with Hets and DH for Sunglow. You wouldn't get a single Albino or Sunglow. You'd have to wait 2/3 years for the babies to mature, then outcross to keep the bloodlines strong. Then, you'd only get half a litter of Albinos/Sunglows. That's if the genetics odds are in your favor. Then you'd have half a litter of Hets/DH for Sunglows.

However, if you got a female Sunglow for your Albino male. You'd get an entire litter of Sunglows and Albinos.

Then you could get a male Hog to go with your females Hog and make cute little Hoggies.

BTW I have nothing against crossing the Sunglow with the Hog. I was just thinking you'd have better... more market friendly babies if you did the Albino/Sunglow, rather than Sunglow/Hog breeding.

Comment

That's kind of the whole point though, I'm not looking to make sunglows or albinos in particular just because everyone else wants them. I'm looking at working on a breeding project specifically using my hog because I like the specific coloration and pattern. And at this point I've yet to find anyone that has taken the time to breed something like an albino to a hog and then outcross afterwards to see the results. Putting together popular morphs that will please the market isn't really what interests me when it comes to breeding, it's the experimentation.

Comment

Originally posted by aleria View Post
          That's kind of the whole point though, I'm not looking to make sunglows or albinos in particular just because everyone else wants them. I'm looking at working on a breeding project specifically using my hog because I like the specific coloration and pattern. And at this point I've yet to find anyone that has taken the time to breed something like an albino to a hog and then outcross afterwards to see the results. Putting together popular morphs that will please the market isn't really what interests me when it comes to breeding, it's the experimentation.
          That breeding has been done.

There were some DH Sunglows/Hogs on kingsnake.com classifieds earlier this year. I don't remember what they went for, but they were sort of average looking. So, I don't think they went for that much. At least, I thought they were average looking.

Comment

The outcrossing from the hog het sunglow to sunglow or hog het albino to albino has already been produced? I've searched high and low and have yet to find anyone that took it beyond the initial hog to albino or hog to whatever breeding.
            Or at least anyone that has posted the results where they could be found by people searching.

Comment

The outcrossing from the hog het sunglow to sunglow or hog het albino to albino has already been produced? I've searched high and low and have yet to find anyone that took it beyond the initial hog to albino or hog to whatever breeding.
              Or at least anyone that has posted the results where they could be found by people searching.
              The Sunglow from that breeding hasn't been produced yet, as far as I know. The DH for Sunglow/Hog was what I saw in the classifieds earlier this year.

Comment

if that's what you like, then do it.

but if you're just looking to make the most money you can, i'd steer clear of that route. there market for hogg crosses is not very big compared to the columbian market, so they'll be harder to sell.

and yes, it has been done. if i'm not mistaken, they're called sunsets when the hogg gene is present, not sunglows.

Comment

Originally posted by dangles View Post

but if you're just looking to make the most money you can, i'd steer clear of that route. there market for hogg crosses is not very big compared to the columbian market, so they'll be harder to sell.

and yes, it has been done. if i'm not mistaken, they're called sunsets when the hogg gene is present, not sunglows.
                  That is why I mentioned previously that I was considering this not based on what will please the market and rake in the cash, but based on my own personal want to experiment with the genetics and see just what would come out of it.
                  If it were about what would make me money then a hog cross would have been the furthest thing from my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by dangles View Post

I thought Sunsets were Hypo/Hogs crosses??

Comment

Yeah, exactly. Sunsets are completely different genes there so I don't believe that anything you throw the hog gene into would instantly be called a sunset.

Comment

That is why I mentioned previously that I was considering this not based on what will please the market and rake in the cash, but based on my own personal want to experiment with the genetics and see just what would come out of it.
                        If it were about what would make me money then a hog cross would have been the furthest thing from my mind.
                        ok, i'm just making sure... we get people on here every now and again trying to find the fastest way to make the most money. they are not generally received well...

anyway, i may have been wrong about the sunset... that may just be a hypo hogg... not really familiar with them.

Comment

It's great to want to "experiment" to see what you get. Just remember that all of the babies might not have that "desirable" look to them. You want to produce what you want, but you also have to produce boas that someone else will want. Unless you plan on keeping them all.

Comment

I'd have to say that it's really sad that the instant assumption at this point is that anyone looking to breed anything is in it for the money, although I can sometimes see where a lot of people can come across sounding like that.
                            I just thought I made it pretty clear from the beginning that I was not looking into this to try to increase my chances of making more money.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda View Post
                              It's great to want to "experiment" to see what you get. Just remember that all of the babies might not have that "desirable" look to them. You want to produce what you want, but you also have to produce boas that someone else will want. Unless you plan on keeping them all.
                              Well considering there is even still a market out there for normals I'm sure they can be sold. They might not sell the second they hit the market like other morphs, but that's the result of nearly all mixed morph breeding. You get your hets, your pos hets, and your visuals, everyone will prefer something different.

Comment

Working...
                              X