I am so confused!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am so confused!!!!!!!

Okay I am getting so confused. Whenever I post pix of my female RTB I get people giving different feedback and I don't know who is right.

I was sold this RTB and was told she was a pastel. Then I posted a pic and told, no, she is just a clean normal, and now someone else says she's actually a pastel. WHAT IS SHE ?!?!?!?! I am so lost! Someone PLEASE HELP!

Re: I am so confused!!!!!!!

I think she looks like a normal..

Comment

She can be classed as both. People up here in Canada seem to call any "clean" boa a pastel. I've seen many normals being called pastel. It is really up to you what you wanna call her. She can pass as a pastel or as a nice clean normal.

Steve

Comment

thx deathADDER ..... when she sheds out she looks like really pale chocolate milk and then gets a bit darker like coffee but ya. It's all so confusing.

Nixx

Comment

in the boa world, the term pastel is a very vague, general term lol, everyone has their own idea of what a pastel really is. i have seen pastel boas darker and way muddier than some of mine sold as pastels for steep prices. and yet other breeders sell real pastels for the same prices or less. anywho, IMO yours is just a nice very clean normal, doesnt have the peachyness or lack of black that i would consider a pastel. for example, when i first got this boa, i thought he was a pastel cause he has alot of nice color, brick red saddles and a big bright red tail. the only real prob wtih that is that he has both white and black speckles, so to some, he wasnt a pastel.

but, when i bought this girl (inferno pastel produced by tony) this is the real deal, lol, she blew me away and made me realize that the previous boa is just a really really nice normal lol. she is by far the cleanest boa i have ever seen in person, and has pretty much NO black except the outlining on her tail saddles, and color to rival any salmon:

Comment

im with steve on this one looks sort of pastel to me

Comment

The Term " Pastel " is very subjective different people have different
              opinions of exactly what falls into that category

Here is pretty much the original description of Pastel in Boas

Pastel Boa,Term "Pastel" coined by Jeff Ronne As well as the
              appearance of Pastel in Boa Constrictors was identified by Jeff Ronne.
              Below is Mr. Ronne's Definition of Pastel

A Pastel is this: A Boa that has an odd overall wash lacking the normal
              amount of black and a reduction in black pigmentation in particular
              throughout the pattern. This is particularly apparent in babies, which have
              the same kind of washed out pattern as Hypos. The saddles as well as the
              side blotches have less black than " normal ". In fact, often the side
              blotches have no black whatsoever. That's it, no more no less.

Pastel is a selectively bred polygenic trait.
              Some People believe the Pastel trait has something to do with color. It really
              does not. The Pastel trait removes black pigment allowing the color
              underneath to be seen.

__________________________________________________ ____________

This is my addition and opinion below

Plus in my opinion there are varying degrees of Pastel in Boas.
              Although when you see a really nice Pastel Boa you know it is Pastel.

Lar M
              Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Either way Nixxi, you've got a beautiful girl.

Comment

Originally posted by satyra View Post
                  in the boa world, the term pastel is a very vague, general term lol, everyone has their own idea of what a pastel really is. i have seen pastel boas darker and way muddier than some of mine sold as pastels for steep prices. and yet other breeders sell real pastels for the same prices or less. anywho, IMO yours is just a nice very clean normal, doesnt have the peachyness or lack of black that i would consider a pastel. for example, when i first got this boa, i thought he was a pastel cause he has alot of nice color, brick red saddles and a big bright red tail. the only real prob wtih that is that he has both white and black speckles, so to some, he wasnt a pastel.

but, when i bought this girl (inferno pastel produced by tony) this is the real deal, lol, she blew me away and made me realize that the previous boa is just a really really nice normal lol. she is by far the cleanest boa i have ever seen in person, and has pretty much NO black except the outlining on her tail saddles, and color to rival any salmon:

In my opinion both of these above are easily clasified as Pastel Boas
                  The one on the bottom pic a cleaner high quality Pastel
                  but the top one is a very quality Pastel Boa as well

Originally posted by Nixxi_Dee View Post

I believe Nixxi's Boa fits into the definition of Pastel Boa just not as extreme of
                  an example as many but still fits the definition.

Still a very nice clean Boa that fits the "Pastel" definition

Like I said before its very subjective ,some people will only accept the
                  most extreme best examples as fitting into their own definition

That's fine for those people when acquiring Boas for themselves they can be super picky if they want to be
                  . . . . . . but

they cannot change the definition as set forth by Jeff Ronne

Many Boas fit into that definition

Lar M
                  Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

My opinion is , not a Pastel -- but almost on the borderline. BTW , normals, and Pastels are both considered to be "normals" - The term "Pastel" just defines those normals that lack a good portion of the black that is usually found on normals . Either way , its a nice looking Boa.

Comment

Satyra where did you get this Boa from ??

That is such an excellent example of a Pastel Boa !!

There is barely even a fleck of black in the lateral medallions

Plus the dark rings around the tail blotches are extremely reduced
                      its just beautiful !!

Lar M
                      Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=Boa Amarali;403328]Satyra where did you get this Boa from ??

That is such an excellent example of a Pastel Boa !!

QUOTE]

My guess is that it's an Inferno line Pastel -- they have a unique look from the other Pastel lines.

Comment

In my opinion it is a clean normal. The saddles have a lot of black in them, and there is not really much color showing through on the sides.
                          http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

yep that pastel is an inferno, she was produced by tony hawkins

Comment

Thank you everyone for replying, this has been very helpful as I was getting really steamed and frustrated as to what was the real true! ... oh and Niobe does have a lot of 'peachyness' in places, looks like more salmon freckles. I should look for a better view of these as it's quite interesting.

Nixx

Comment

Working...
                              X