Is this possible on a boa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this possible on a boa?

I'm curious if there is a similar boa to the 'pied' ball python and if not is it possible to make? even if it took 5 years??

Thanks

Re: Is this possible on a boa?

we just kinda talked about this lol on the favorite boa post no this is nothing around like that that would be awesome though

i wish i could make something like a snow with a bright suri red tail

Comment

Darn that sucks.. if there was a snake I'd pay decent 4 digits for it'd be one of these.. lol

Ever since I saw Atrayu's I've fallen in love.

Comment

never been a huge pied fan but the new stuff (at least new to me lol) they are doing with them are really sweet like spider pieds and bumblebee pieds

Comment

A pied boa would be amazing!!!

If one cropped up in the wild, or from a breeding, think you would be looking at a bit more than 4 figures for a good few years though LOL

Comment

There have been a few boas with coloration similar to a pied....they look more like "ringers." They all had one small spot on them that is white, with the orange outline, but every one of them has had birth defects associated with them, so I don't believe that anyone has tried to breed them. Frank Martin produced a hypo and a snow "pied" a while back in '07.

Here are a few that have been produced over the years....

Amie

Comment

wow great info, hadn't heard of this before. These are likely not genetic traits though its would seem? Would be amazing if one was produced healthy enough for breeding trials.

Comment

As bciaddict pointed out there have been boas that have shown a "leaning" towards being pied.

Calico BRBs are probably the closest morph I've seen on a boa that resembles piebald.

Here's a photo of "Fluffy" a male Calico BRB from Dave Colling's collection.

I would think that if this is possible in BRBs it could be cultivated in BCI as well. It's just a matter of finding the right set of variables.

Comment

I remember hearing about those ringers or whatever they were called. If I remember right they were an individual anomaly and have no genetic basis.

How did pieds come about in the BP world? I don't know anything on the history of BPs.

Comment

That "Fluffy" snake is pretty interesting but I guess I might need to get a ball python sometime. I really just can't get over the look of this morph/whatever it is.

Alright, thanks guys for shattering my dreams

Comment

Well we do have calico boas also but i have never seen one (doesnt mean there isnt one) with that much white they are mostly just small white spots

Comment

I wrote to Dave about Fluffy (the Calico BRB) because I was curious as to what kind of pairing would create the morph, and if it were possible with BCI - this is what he had to say:

All good questions on Fluffy and the answer is dunno... ;-) Still working on making more. Backstory I have on Fluffy is he was originally sold as a normal little BRB at some show in California. After reaching sexual maturity, the white Calico areas showed up fairly rapidly. I've heard a similar story on two other BRB's showing similar but not as extreme Calico trait. I believe it to be genetic but with the ontogenetic expression of the trait it does add a level of difficulty to the project. To date I have produced three litters of offspring and have held back over a dozen babies for my collection. I fully expect I will have to breed them back together and raise babies to find more visual specimens. Once I have enough visuals to do visual to visual breeding, then I am hoping to be able to produce entire litters of normal looking babies that will turn Calico as they mature.

In BCI, would be cool!!! Like other morphs, someone will have to find it and produce some and then we all will want some.

Comment

Don't think its possible...yet

It would need to be brought in from the wild and proved out

Comment

Working...
                          X