Bad times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad times

Over as year ago I purchased an 07 female super motley (Columbian) at the same time as a 07 male moonglow.

These were on a long payment plan and the seller kept me informed as totheir progress with regular pics.

It was after I had purchased them that I found out all the negative news about supers, obviously I was quite worried as I paid alot of money for her ($6k)

She ate at the same rate as the moonglow but didn't grow at the same ratem though she seemed healthy.

Over the year I repeatedly got messages through this forum and one in the UK to ask if she was still alive and how she was.

After paying them off I sent them to a very good friend stateside whilst I organized international shipping, he said the were bot in good health but she was smaller than his 08's (or even some 09's) she was placed into a quarantine area adn was all good,
    The shipping started to drag and they had been with my pal for 6-7 weeks. All this time she had eaten well and whilst small didn't have any problems.

Last week I got the news I had been expecting since I read that 1st thread about super motleys longevity.
    My friend had checked on all boas in the morning,went to work and when he returned she had passed away, I knew there was a high chance she had been living on borrowed time but it still shook me up.
    I hate to hear or witness animals in pain or dying and I always get a little upset (though I know this keeps me human)

I don't have an ounce of blame to proportion here, it is a harsh lesion to me to do my research b4 shelling out big money.

I never got top see her in the flesh and I think in a way thats better.

I feel there needs to be much more openness within the industry, help people make informed decisions.

Peace

Chris

Re: Bad times

$6,000 is a lot to pay for a dead snake. Whats going to happen now? Refund? Credit?

Comment

That is really bad news for any time ecspecially at the holidays....

Comment

Originally posted by Spo0led View Post
        $6,000 is a lot to pay for a dead snake. Whats going to happen now? Refund? Credit?
        In all honesty probably neither. It is no fault to the seller or the buyer, very little were known about the supers and it's just a chance you take with a new morph.

I am sorry to hear about that, even if these supers can't reproduce they still make a great addition to a collection unfortunately like stated the longevity is short lived.

Comment

Originally posted by snake77 View Post
          In all honesty probably neither. It is no fault to the seller or the buyer, very little were known about the supers and it's just a chance you take with a new morph.

Thats what I was afraid of.

Comment

Originally posted by snake77 View Post

I am sorry to hear about that, even if these supers can't reproduce they still make a great addition to a collection unfortunately like stated the longevity is short lived.
            Yes you are spot on, I am a realist and I know that every animal I purchase could pass away (in fact they all are deffo going to at some point)
            I was so happy to finally be seeing her shortly but now I just have to move on , if 1 goofd thing can come from this it is for someone / anyone to learn from this life lesson.

When you spend large amounts on live animals you should never look at them as a sure fire investment.

The more that is know about new morphs and then is relayed to the greater masses can only be beneficial, unfortunately you have to break eggs to get omelet's if you know what I mean.

Chris

Comment

oh man sorry to hear that...who was the breeder...I hope that by now they are not selling these anymore....I actually wanted to start that project. But, recently changed my mind. I really don't want to create an animal that will be suffering...Again I'm sorry to hear that you lost the animal and the money...

Merry Christmas to you and your Family...

Comment

Originally posted by jgonzalez305 View Post
                oh man sorry to hear that...who was the breeder...I hope that by now they are not selling these anymore....I actually wanted to start that project. But, recently changed my mind. I really don't want to create an animal that will be suffering...Again I'm sorry to hear that you lost the animal and the money...

Merry Christmas to you and your Family...

Thank you Joe
                I had wanted to gofor supers too, I would not attempt this now

Chris

Comment

Sorry to hear man... thats gotta suck big time and it really has changed how people look at super motleys. I almost bought one in 07 and it was around the 10K mark. I am sure glad that the deal fell through now.

Steve

Comment

Wow that is sad to hear. Sorry for the loss of your snake, well the investment too but I am sure you were really anxious to get her home. Very sorry.

Comment

Sorry about your loss. I'm not sure what to think about the supers. I believe that with enough outcrossing we might get viable supers. However, part of me thinks that it's a dead morph because of what Jeremy Stone has done with them and the info from VPI. I will be purchasing a motley soon and after a few generations of outcrossing I might attempt to make a super but it depends on what other people find out about them in the next couple years.
                      http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure you anticipated being able to see and hold her, right up to the end.

Is is actually best you didn't get to see her. It's hard to see them go an inch at a time. Just know that she probably wasn't in pain. She "most likely" just "let go".

Super Motleys are really beautiful animals, but they're more delicate. Unforutnately, from the time they're born, they're living on borrowed time. At least, that's the way it's been, "so far".

I think you should try to contact the breeder you got her from. Back when you made your purchase, not as much was known about the "mortality rate" in Supers. The breeder got to "observe" that Super Motley for a year, while you were paying it off. I'm sure, even the breeder, had to have known that.... It was just a matter of time before she passed. I don't think you'll get a refund for your purchase, but you "might" get "something". Maybe a pair of Motleys or something else to go with your male Moonglow.

Give it a try and contact the breeder. I know it won't help for the boa that was lost, but something is better than nothing.

Comment

so sorry to hear man! i h ope it all comes out in the end.

Comment

Very sorry to hear about that bro... I to wanted a super for a while before hearing about these guys... they look AWESOME.... Again, sorry to hear such crumby news.

What are you're plans with the moon glow? do you have any mates ready to pair up with? hope all goes well with that little one.

Mike

Comment

Sorry to hear about this, thank you for taking the time to provide some open insight on the Super Motleys.

I still plan to try and produce some, CA, or Colombian, unsure which yet. But would of course keep all the Supers. Eventually one has got to live, and when it can reproduce and pass on it's genes, then others will be able to enjoy this unique boa as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X