Colombian or Central American?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colombian or Central American?

So, I just got my boa today from the pet store that I work at. She came from one of our sister stores and was labeled as a Central American Boa. I was just wondering if this was correct or if she is a Colombian. I'm not new to reptiles as I have a few others but I am new to boas and have always had a difficult time differentiating between a red tail and a central american. Any help would be great appreciated and thank you all very much!

Re: Colombian or Central American?

A pic would help But in the large box pet stores, there really is no way to tell if it is Colombian or CA. Though, being labeled as CA and not "boa constrictor" (as most are), I would lean toward it being CA.

Tim

http://www.facebook.com/BoidsOhio?bookmark_t=page

Comment

Post a pic, but from most of the pet store i visit, they always only have Colombian red tail boas. Just a normal BCI so Chances are that what you have but i could be wrong..
      sigpicJrock23

Comment

Originally posted by Jrock23 View Post
        Colombian red tail boas

Nope. Colombian BCI (Boa Constrictor Imperator) OR "red tail boa" BCC (Boa Constrictor Constrictor). If we don't stop perpetuating the misnomer, no one else will.

See the difference? Top one is a common (normal) wild type BCI. The second one is a common (normal) wild type BCC. (Suriname specifically)
        Last edited by zamora; 01-26-2015, 06:46 AM. Reason: sse
        http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Thank you Zamora . . . It has become on of my bigger pet peeves to see so many people calling all of these BCI' (primarily Colombian Boas) RTB's . "Red Tail Boas" are only for the Boas from the Amazon Basin . Most popularly are Surinam, Guyanan, Peruvians, Brazilians, Venezuelan's , etc . . . . Some are from Colombia, but they are very rare in the pet trade because they are from one small corner of Colombia. They are hard to find/obtain , more spendy, and would never be found in a pet store.

Comment

My repressed desire to purchase a Surinam BCC was instantly ignited by the fire red tail so recently posted in this thread. Upon viewing, I found myself causally taking room measurements and surfing caging websites. Thanks Zamora! LOL!

Comment

Sorry ya'll! I didn't know that the picture didn't show... o_O

The bottom picture is when she first came into the store. Our pet store actually isn't a big chain pet store, it's a small privately owned store located only in South Carolina. But I'm sure we get our reptiles from the same place the big chains do...(Sun Pet...ew...) Her name is Neytiri AKA Tiri.

Comment

Working...
              X