X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Het for albino!

Hi!
    I was wondering if anyone knows alot about het for albino boas.
    If so could you write me what you know and if possible send me some pics?
    Thanks

Re: Het or albino!

There is only a one peson that I know of that can look at a boa and tell if it is a het or not and thats the Boaphile. Hets look just like normal boas but they carry the recessive albino gene.

Comment

Well basically there is no way to tell if a boa is Het for Albino just by looking at them. At least for the 99.9999% of us out here.

Although I have noticed that hets by and large are very common looking, and tend to have a lot of spotting.

Jeff Ronne, however, seems to have developed a way to do just this. And don't wait for him to just announce it to the world.

The only person he has told about this paid $3000 for the secret, and never asked for his money back.

Out of 8 parings using this method, 7 pairs did have albino babies. Those are trememdous odds and completely rule out any type of guess. He is on to something for sure.

Basically the only common way to know a boa is 100% het for sure is to know that an albino is bred to a common boa. That gives us 100% het for albino boas.

In situations where a Het is bred to a Het, then the possibilities change and then you either need the MAGIC SECRET or you would have to pair them up and hope for possible matches.h
      To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
      -Clay English
      Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

The only person he has told about this paid $3000 for the secret, and never asked for his money back.
        Hehe.. I believe that there are now two people that know of Jeff's "secret" method to determine the het factoring of a snake by looking at it. Least that's what I have knowledge of in relation to this "issue"

Comment

Re:Het for albino!

If you have a het for albino, as my female is supposed to be, what would you have to breed her with to get some albino babies? I really want an albino but not at the price they go for. Also, when is the right time to breed her? She is about 4 months now so i still have a while to go but it would be nice to know when the time comes.

Comment

You would have to breed her to another het albino or an actual albino in order to have a chance at producing an albino. I say a chance at producing an albino because it is not guaranteed and it is luck of the genetics draw. :P

Here is a good description of simple recessive genes such as albino:

http://www.newenglandreptile.com/gen...recessive.html

Comment

there is a cool genetic calculator here http://www.supersnakes.com/default.htm
              You might find it helpfull.

Comment

Working...
              X