Hey There!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey There!

Hey Everyone! My name is Andy Gabbard, Active Duty US Navy, and just made a profile here! I own a 5.5 foot red tail boa, but I know he is not a normal red tail, however I have no idea what he is! If someone could help me out by identifying him I would greatly appreciate it. [IMG][/IMG]

Re: Hey There!

He looks like central american BCI to me. The speckling and darker saddles is my reasoning, but his head is lighter than I've seen on many. Anyone else's opinion?

Thank you for your service.

Comment

Originally posted by acephantom903 View Post
      He looks like central american BCI to me. The speckling and darker saddles is my reasoning, but his head is lighter than I've seen on many. Anyone else's opinion?

Thank you for your service.
      So not to sound too dumb here....what does BCI mean...I love snakes and I have been obsessed with them my whole life...but mainly venomous, never got in to Boa's, as my parents would never let me have a snake...but now that im an adult and what not I picked this guy up! So im still in the learning curve.

Comment

and to mention you cant really tell in this picture but he has no red..at all, just brown, black and that really, really light brown

Comment

Originally posted by Andygab View Post
          Hey Everyone! My name is Andy Gabbard, Active Duty US Navy, and just made a profile here! I own a 5.5 foot red tail boa, but I know he is not a normal red tail, however I have no idea what he is! If someone could help me out by identifying him I would greatly appreciate it. [IMG][/IMG]
          good lookin boa!

Comment

We say BCI to distinguish red tail boas. Most people think they have true red tail boas which are Boa Constrictor Constrictor (BCC) subspecies. They are slightly less well tempered and get a little larger, but they grow slower and they keep their red tails.
            Most "red tail" Boas out there are the Common Boa Constrictor which is the Boa Constrictor Imperator (BCI) subspecies. They are usually very well tempered and are slightly smaller. They grow to their "full" length much faster in about 5 years and if they ever had a red tail as a baby, it will be coppery or brown as adults. The reason I said "full" length is because most --if not all-- reptiles grow their entire life, but they slow down length wise after a certain point and grow out more quickly.

When I say "central american BCI" I am referring to the different localities. The "Columbian" BCI boas are from northern South America. Each area has slightly different patterns, but they are mostly tan with light brown saddles and get slightly larger than Central America and are a little more lazy because of the extra size. Central America BCI boas I believe are found all the way up to central Mexico. They also have pattern variation getting darker the more north they go. Northern Central America boas are mostly grey with black saddles and lots of speckling. They stay a little smaller but can have more energy. The size difference isn't significant. A male columbian can get 6-7' average where a male central american can get 5-6' average. Average doesn't mean they will only get those sizes. I think I've seen a picture of a 9' male boa before.

Also, not all Boas have red tails. Lots of places online and in pet stores will call them Red tail Boa because that sounds more appealing than "Boa constrictor".

I don't have any experience with HOTs (Venomous).

Comment

Usually when there is no information regarding lineage of a boa we'll say it's a Bcu (Boa constrictor "unknown"). It's a very nice looking boa, though, definitely Bci but I wouldn't say Central American, could be a dark Colombian or maybe even it's Anerytheristic (no red pigment). Won't say for sure so don't quote me on that

Comment

Your Active Duty Navy with a Boa Constrictor? How does that work? I want to join the Navy but I don't want to give up my snakes, lol.

Comment

Thank for the info! And yes im Active Duty with a Boa, I did my time over seas, and while I was there I didn't have anything. When I got back home and my wife and I got a new place, I got a boa! Ill be medically retired within the next few months, so im good! But if you joined, which you should, you would probably have to foster your snakes...but all depending on where your stationed, if your married, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by ldydrgn View Post
                    Usually when there is no information regarding lineage of a boa we'll say it's a Bcu (Boa constrictor "unknown"). It's a very nice looking boa, though, definitely Bci but I wouldn't say Central American, could be a dark Colombian or maybe even it's Anerytheristic (no red pigment). Won't say for sure so don't quote me on that
                    I also believe that your snake is a BCI and I was thinking possibly anerytheristic (anery) as well although it is difficult to tell from that picture. Lighting makes a difference in determining anery boas as well.

Welcome to RTB, I think you will like it here, it's a fun and informative place to hang out. If you haven't already, download and read the ultimate Care Guide on here, it is the best go-to manual on boa care around and best of all it's FREE!

If you want to learn more about Boas and don't mind paying, The Complete Boa Constrictor by Vin Russo is the best.
                    http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Thank you! and I definitely will! Ill throw some more pictures up when I get home. Just out of curiosity...I just picked him up about a month ago...what would a "good price" be for this snake? just looking to see if I got a good deal or got ripped off etc...

Comment

I have no clue. I picked up my guy Buddy as a baby (cheaper than adult) and he is a Motley morph Colombian BCI. I payed $125.00+tax.

Comment

Originally posted by Andygab View Post
                          Thank for the info! And yes im Active Duty with a Boa, I did my time over seas, and while I was there I didn't have anything. When I got back home and my wife and I got a new place, I got a boa! Ill be medically retired within the next few months, so im good! But if you joined, which you should, you would probably have to foster your snakes...but all depending on where your stationed, if your married, etc...
                          I was actually due to go to MEPS last Tuesday. Put it off. Just don't think I'm ready. And it seems like every time I have some new species of animal I always come upon something like the Military and end up having to re-home them. It's such a pattern to me and I don't want to do it anymore. I don't believe in getting a pet and giving them up. Their like family.

Comment

Originally posted by acephantom903 View Post
                            I have no clue. I picked up my guy Buddy as a baby (cheaper than adult) and he is a Motley morph Colombian BCI. I payed $125.00+tax.
                            What a great deal! My Albino-Motley was $400

Comment

I only paid 60$ lol

Comment

Working...
                              X