Is my boa really a Hypo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my boa really a Hypo?

Hello, I'm fairly new to the whole snake scene. I started with a Ball Python and now I have 6 of them, a Kenyan Sand Boa, and a Red Tail Boa.
    I got the Red Tail from the local breeders where I get my Ball Pythons and their food/supplies. Someone left her there because they could no longer take care of her. I don't typically buy on impulse but I immediately fell in love with her. She's so beautiful and extremely sweet.
    They sexed her before I left the store but no one was really sure of what morph she is since they focus on BPs. I was told she might be a Hypo, a Jungle, a Paradigm... but I've looked up pictures and she doesn't look like any of those to me. I know for sure she's not a Normal though.
    She's kind of pale but also dark orange. She has black speckles throughout her back and a bright yellow belly. Her tail is darker orange but the markings aren't red. There are also faint green spots around her regular markings.
    I don't know if she has ever been bred and I don't plan on breeding anytime soon, not only because I don't have a male for her but also because I'd like to get more experienced at that with my Ball Pythons before I try to get into Red Tails. But I do want to know her morph so that I can correctly label her tub on the snake track.

She's not as light as she looks in those pictures but I didn't wanna mess around with the effects settings on my camera. Hopefully those are good enough for someone to help me out. Thanks in advance!

Re: Is my boa really a Hypo?

Yep, that's a hypo.
    sigpic

Comment

Really? Cool, thanks! If I may ask, is there something specifically that makes it easy to tell? Like, is it the markings or the color or both? I'm guessing the color but as I said, my knowledge of this species and its morphs is very limited.
      Also, is there a certain morph I should focus on getting whenever I'm in the market for a male? If Red Tail genetics are anything like BP breeding, mating her with a Normal would just give me a bunch of Normal babies, which I don't mind but given her beautiful coloring, I'd prefer something more like it.
      Thanks again for clearing it up though!

Comment

Originally posted by natieb View Post
        Yep, that's a hypo.
        Second that! I have one that is on the lighter side as well.

Comment

Beautiful snake. Nice pick up!

Comment

Definitely a Hypo Boa . The term " Red Tail Boa " is for those of the Amazon Basin - BCC . Yours is not a Red Tail Boa. Most morphs, and 99% of Colombians aren't Red Tail Boas. Just wanted to clear that up,since you have said that you were new to the snake scene.

Comment

Great looking boa, nice pick up
              sigpicJrock23

Comment

Oh, that is good to know. Thanks for informing me about that! One of the many reasons I really got into snakes is how there is always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                X