Anyone here have a Pewter Boa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here have a Pewter Boa?

Hi, i'm new to this site. I just picked up a pewter boa neonate (Ragnar) and was wondering if anyone around here had some full grown ones to show off, just wondering to see how he will age. I've got a 2014 female nicaraguan anery type 2 (Reva) for him when he gets bigger. What other boa female morphs would you recommend for me to pick up to get the most potential out of this little guy? I look forward to some pictures Both mine are in shed right now so I am trying to keep my hands off them....

Re: Anyone here have a Pewter Boa?

Well, since no one seems to have any!!!! My little pewter just finished shedding last night. I will try to get some decent pictures of them tomorrow or tonight. I still want to see an adult though if anyone out there has one.

Comment

Looking online and I can't find adults either. Is it a new morph? It looks like a morph with faded side patterns, is that correct?

Comment

I don't believe it is "new" its a double recessive, anery type 2 and blood. The anery is a lack of red, but you add the blood gene in and mine has a red/purplish (for lack of better description) sides with a silver back. I just got mine in the mail from Vin Russo on Tuesday, so I haven't messed with him too much yet. Giving him time to settle in. But he just shed and pooped, so Im gonna try to feed him tomorrow and see how it goes.

Comment

You may want to wait until tuesday before feeding. Give him the full 7-10 days hands off period to settle down. Sounds like you've had boas for a while so you probably know it can go for a little while without food. Are you going to try F/T, FK, or live?

Comment

Yeah, I figured I would try a little early just to get him on schedule with everyone else if he would, if he wont eat then ill try again next week. Yeah, I know they can go a good long while without food. The longest one went on me was of course, a ball python, it went 6 months without eating, but shes been steady eating and gaining weight for a good year now. I try and feed F/T when at all possible, if they refuse I pick up live from local pet stores, but they are so much more expensive here than florida!

Comment

Live here is expensive too. lol F/T or FK is always best because it isn't as stressful for the mouse/rat who has to give up its life for our pets and they also cannot hurt our pets that way. I think it is $6-10 for a live adult mouse here. I haven't looked around for cheaper because I don't have to.

Do what you think is best. What you could do to get him on schedule is feed him tuesday and wait 11 days for your next feeding which would put him on the same schedule as the others. The first feeding is the most crucial.

Comment

Originally posted by acephantom903 View Post
                Live here is expensive too. lol F/T or FK is always best because it isn't as stressful for the mouse/rat who has to give up its life for our pets and they also cannot hurt our pets that way. I think it is $6-10 for a live adult mouse here. I haven't looked around for cheaper because I don't have to.

Do what you think is best. What you could do to get him on schedule is feed him tuesday and wait 11 days for your next feeding which would put him on the same schedule as the others. The first feeding is the most crucial.
                Yeah live prices are ridiculous here. When I lived in florida I would pick up a medium rat for $1! Anyways, I should have listened to you! He did not want to eat at all and was having no part of F/T this weekend. I may try again in the middle of the week and get a it a little hotter this time. Im trying to switch from live mouse hoppers to F/T rat pups. I may have to order some F/T if he doesn't eat it again this week. He's just so tiny!!!!!

Comment

Wait until the next feeding period for everyone else or wait 7-8 days. You don't want to assault him with food as that will put him off of food. How hard would it be for you to grab a box of Frozen mouse hoppers? I can buy a box of 4 for $12.95. If you feed every 7 days, that will last you a month and he should be comfortable by that point to switch. I'm still feeding adult mice because Butter hasn't gotten big enough to need weaned rats yet.

How warm do you warm up the food to? I do 94-98 degrees as 98.1 degrees is the body temp of a mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by acephantom903 View Post
                    Wait until the next feeding period for everyone else or wait 7-8 days. You don't want to assault him with food as that will put him off of food. How hard would it be for you to grab a box of Frozen mouse hoppers? I can buy a box of 4 for $12.95. If you feed every 7 days, that will last you a month and he should be comfortable by that point to switch. I'm still feeding adult mice because Butter hasn't gotten big enough to need weaned rats yet.

How warm do you warm up the food to? I do 94-98 degrees as 98.1 degrees is the body temp of a mouse.
                    Hmm, good point, I don't want to scare him off food/rats completely! I guess I should go to a petsmart or something to pick up some frozen hoppers, I just don't like to support them, they are so overpriced and ethically questionable! Big Cheese/rodentpro they are like .3/ea. I just ordered a big shipment of medium/small/weaned a couple weeks ago, so petsmart it is I guess.

Also, I will definitely check what temps I am heating them up to, I normally just leave them to defrost then heat them with a heater or blow dryer for a couple minutes to get them warm enough, never actually shot a temp gun at them. Great idea, thanks for the tips, Ill give it another go this weekend. Hopefully after that I can get him in the light tent and take a couple decent pictures!

Comment

I have a pet supply store near me. They don't keep any live animals in there for sale so I don't have negative feelings for them. They have 3 cats they are trying to adopt out but that is a different story. I wouldn't do one of the big rodent providers for a baby unless you plan on having a bunch of babies because you have to guess how many you're going to need which is hard to do.

I warm up my feeders using hot water. I have a big plastic jar about 1 liter in volume with a lid that I fill up halfway with water which is about 100 degrees Fahrenheit and I drop the feeder into it for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes it has cooled to between 94-98 degrees depending on how cool my room is and I dab it on a paper towel to dry it off a little and I put it in. If he isn't interested in taking it from your tongs, you can put it on a paper plate or something that you don't have to worry about him ingesting and leave it there over/under the heat and he will most likely go for it in the middle of the night. You could also put up a towel to limit visual distractions.

Don't feed on paper towels as it isn't unheard of for a snake's tooth to snag on it and force them to eat it. Paper/plastic plates are good. It just depends on what you have laying around and your substrate. My substrate is essentially cardboard paper and has no risk of ingestion. Newspaper is also no risk as well.
                      Last edited by acephantom903; 03-14-2016, 02:04 PM. Reason: extra thought

Comment

Working...
                      X