Pastel?? I'm confused. Picture heavy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pastel?? I'm confused. Picture heavy.

I really do not know much about morphs in boas, but I'm curious about our newest little guy Valentino. My wife picked him up from a fella who said he was a Pastel 100 percent het Anrey 66 percent possible het Snow.

He's tiny. Super soft, super sweet. Great eater, we love him. In the long run that is all that matters, he didn't break the bank and seeing my wife happy with him is payment enough.

However I'm curious. I was sharing a photo of him on a FB group and someone told me there was no such thing as "Pastel" boas and he was a normal "BCI" which honestly I don't have a clue what BCI means.

We've dubbed him Valentino because he is so pink, and down toward his tail he has a tiny heart pattern in his markings.

Is this just a "normal" then, that's pretty? Did the guy who sold him to us lie? Can someone just explain it to me, I'm merely curious. Photos are less than great. Cell phone snaps in the sun, tried to get natural lighting but he was pretty slithery so not the easiest of tasks.

Attached Files

Re: Pastel?? I'm confused. Picture heavy.

BCI or BCC is what type of boa it is. Boa Constrictor Imperator(Smaller) and Boa Constrictor Constrictor(Larger,True Red Tail).

That does look like a BCI to me. Don't know much about pastels though so I can't help you if it is one or not.

He's very pretty though!!

Comment

Pastel is a polygenic trait, which means that it's hard to pinpoint how these traits will pass on. Height would be an example of a polygenic trait in a person. If two tall people have babies you would assume the kids would be tall, but there are so many different little genes and alleles that actually dictate that. It's not really so cut and dry to say "This is a pastel!" or "That boa is not a pastel." A lot of it is call it as you see it. If you breed some pastels together you will get some babies that look pastel and some that don't. You can't pick them out like you can jungles or albinos, and there are no het pastels. It's really just up to the breeder to say "this one I would call a pastel... that one, eh, I dunno. We'll see how it looks after a shed."

The pastel "morph" reduces the amount of black a snake has and makes it look cleaner, more pinks and reds shine through. Some pastels look nicer than other pastels. IMO your snake looks like it has a decent amount of black from your photos, but without comparing it to the litter mates and parents it would be hard to agree or disagree with the breeders decision to call it a pastel.
      Last edited by Jessica; 06-12-2016, 10:52 AM.
      Previously jjurczyk

facebook.com/k1ssy

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica View Post
        .... IMO your snake looks like it has a decent amount of black from your photos, but without comparing it to the litter mates and parents it would be hard to agree or disagree with the breeders decision to call it a pastel.
        I was thinking the same thing...even though you see a lot of pink, there's also a fair amount of black to be called a pastel at this point? Anyway, I'd call it a pretty snake!

Comment

Pretty snake!

The Boaphile | Pastel Explanation

Quoting from the link: "A Pastel is this: A Boa that has an odd overall wash lacking the normal amount of black and a reduction in black pigmentation in particular throughout the pattern. This is particularly apparent in babies, which have the same kind of washed out pattern as Hypos. The saddles as well as the side blotches have less black than "normal". In fact, often the side blotches have no black whatsoever. That's it, no more no less. Now it is unfortunate that this leaves a lot to interpretation. Identifying Pastels can be and is subjective. It is very much a matter of opinion. There are definitely degrees of "Pastelism". How much Pastelism is required to label an animal "Pastel"? I don't know what measure others may use, but I know what I look for in babies. I look for nearly no black in the side pattern. A very small amount of black can be found but nearly none normally. Sorry this can't be more definitive but it just can't."

BCI stands for Boa constrictor imperator. This is the subspecies of boa constrictor that is found from northern Mexico to northern and western Colombia. It is also the most common subspecies in the pet trade.

Comment

Thank you @paulh that was exactly what I would have written! Beautiful boy you have there, no matter what he is and I would venture to say he's a gorgeous 'normal' or as I prefer to call them, 'classic' BCI.

Hey, if you are happy and the wife is happy, that's all that matters! Personally, I have several 'classics'!
            http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but are all pastels hypo? I thought so, but reading this thread has me wondering...

Comment

No, pastels are not hypo. Hypo is a dominant trait (or incomplete dominant, depending on who is speaking).

Comment

^ What Michelle said. A lot of people mix pastel and hypo together just because it makes snakes super clean and red, as hypo shares a lot of the same traits as a pastel, which is why you see a ton of hypo pastels. But you can have a pastel that's not hypo.
                  Previously jjurczyk

facebook.com/k1ssy

Comment

I'm actually trying to get into some Pastel breeding this year. I have a RC Pastel Jungle Male that I will be breeding to a RC Pastel Motley female that I got from Richard this year. I've done a lot of reading on the pastel "morph" and it is definitely more of a line breeding thing. Taking the best and brightest and breeding them together and keep doing it over and over. I feel it will be more of a long drawn out process but hopefully will pay off in the long run with some amazing animals. From what I've noticed, the Pastels seem to get better looking as they age, almost like the colors start to come out more. My male is much brighter and more pink this year then he was the previous year

Comment

his pinks are gorgeous!

Comment

Working...
                      X