Playing with my camera taking a couple pics of my favorite hog,

what the dates are wrong in my little camera taken today 08/08/03
    jeeze ..doug
    one more for luck

Re:Close up Hog Island

Thats a beauty of a Hogg.. Those are really sweet boas! ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Great looking Boa Doug, I have been thinking of getting one of those for awhile now. Hmmm...

Comment

Wow she is looking great Doug!!

I also think that I want to get a hogg as my next snake

TAT 8)

Comment

Ver Pretty!!!!!

**Beth**

Comment

Ooh, nice Hog there Doug. *thumbs up*

Comment

awesome looking hogg!!! hows the temperment on him???

LEE

Comment

Nice shot Doug.. I still like you blue Hogg..

Steve

Comment

HI,
                  I have only raised one female hog in my short time as a boa keeper, my experience with her is they are very attentive snakes and are always watching your hands and movements in the cage. I never take my eyes off her head when cleaning the cage and changing her water they seem to want to protect their hide. If I must work with her I always remove the hide form the cage and then pick her up as gently as I can.
                  When feeding she will not pick the rat off the floor she requires to stare at it for a bout 10-30 mins and I must tap her side near the neck to make her grab the rat and thats it down the hatch.
                  She is always trying to get me when I feed her, thats ok she dosen't want to share.
                  If it isn't feeding day ( you must make that clear to her) she's a very sweet snake relaxed .
                  My experience with baby hogs they are extremly nervous snakes take a lot of time to feed
                  and require a quiet time no handing before feeding day, I believe they are wired in nature for long fast and can go a little longer between feeding even as babies. I have a new male that is doing that now I usally feed him on the tenth day and usally have to work with him to stimulate a feeding.
                  I think hog island boa's are probably one of the gems in the boa family for a med experienced boa keeper, they are a bit more fussy than common BCI but are worth the effort..
                  Doug
                  here's me stimulating a feeding response with a thawed rat that was in the cage about an hour no feeding response until I tapped her with the rat a couple times and wham.. you can see her future mate in his box peeking at her feeding, she has moved up to the 2/6 cage and the male is getting her old cage that 2/4 ft..

and after they mouth it nothing on earth is going to get that rat back easily...hehe

I guess its a little more trouble than my guyana's she could possibly learn to eat off the floor, I tried it once and she went over a month and that can be a little unerving many animals if they fast to long can loose that feeding response ..
                  doug

Comment

Hey Doug again nice pics.. Just for new boa keepers looking at this thread, I wanted to point out two things..

One you should use a feeding tank or box to feed the snake. It cuts the chance down that your boa will think food when you open up its cage to just hold them..

Also when feeding, use feeding tongs ir real long tweezers.. It lessens the chance of getting tagged by mistake when offering prey..

Doug hope you understand why I added this..
                    Steve

Comment

I have 6 of those hoggs that I have kept. 4 are siblings to this one. The high orange runs in the Sears bloodline, as well as the noticable "blue" highlights that these hoggs seem to all show at different times..

Truly spectacular boas.
                      To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
                      -Clay English
                      Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

HI,
                        No problem Clay I should be using a snake hook or at least forceps with her.. doug
                        have you had any breeding activity with her siblings or do you want to wait another year???

Comment

WOW thats a cool boa. Very niice shots. A very beautiful snake. 8)

Comment

Great looking snake Doug!
                            I am amazed that you can actually put your hand near your Hogs when they are in "feeding mode"! Mine will strike at anything that puts off heat!
                            If I didn't use forceps my hand would be full of holes

Comment

Working...
                            X