Hogg Island Boa question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hogg Island Boa question

Freshly shed, and with no color alterations done on any of the photos. He was pretty cranky, and didn't really want to be taken out.

Now my question is this. He was sold to me as a pure Hogg Island, but I have my doubts, and think he's a Hogg x Colombian cross. Any opinions?

Thanks for looking!

Re: Hogg Island Boa question

Haha, your user name is awesome (I just use the same one on all the snake sites I'm on)

I'll say it again, he's such a pretty boa! I hope he grows up and gives you lots of attitude, like all the funnest snakes do XD

Comment

That might very well be a Hog X. The problem is without knowing the lineage you may never know for sure. Thats why (especially locales) it's extremely important to buy from a reputable breeder. The breeder should be very willing to set your mind at ease so ask him this question yourself. Ask him for photos of the litter with your boa in them. If he won't do this then the best thing to do is keep this lil male out of any pure Hog breeding you may have planned and chalk this one up to a lesson learned. You now have a very nice "pet" Boa.

Comment

Originally posted by DIRTY SHOOTER View Post
        That might very well be a Hog X. The problem is without knowing the lineage you may never know for sure. Thats why (especially locales) it's extremely important to buy from a reputable breeder. The breeder should be very willing to set your mind at ease so ask him this question yourself. Ask him for photos of the litter with your boa in them. If he won't do this then the best thing to do is keep this lil male out of any pure Hog breeding you may have planned and chalk this one up to a lesson learned. You now have a very nice "pet" Boa.
        Well, I saw 8 of his siblings on the table with him, and they were labeled as "Hypo Hoggs", and looked more like the typical Hogg Islands I see. This one was labeled as a "Common Hogg". Either way, he was only $35 (marked down from $75), so I'm not complaining too much. Haha.

Thanks for your input!

Comment

I would bet money that is not a pure Cayos Los Cochinos / Hog Isle Boa

Looks like a cross to me ,probably came out of somebodies

Hypo hogg project

Lar M
          Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SerpentineSeduction View Post
            Well, I saw 8 of his siblings on the table with him, and they were labeled as "Hypo Hoggs", and looked more like the typical Hogg Islands I see. This one was labeled as a "Common Hogg". Either way, he was only $35 (marked down from $75), so I'm not complaining too much. Haha.

Thanks for your input!
            Yeah that pretty much explains it. It's a product of a Hypo Hog project so no it isn't pure. You definitely didn't pay a pure hog price like you said so there ya go.

Congrats though...he is a looker!

Comment

still a beauty...really nice looking hog...Mike

Comment

Yeah I'd say it's more than likely not a pure hogg. It has to much RTB influence in it. Here are a few pics of my pure baby Hogg, you will be able to tell the difference.

Comment

Yeah I am going to agree with him being a cross. I compared him to the colors of my hogs and there are obvious differences. Also the price you paid is not what you would pay for a pure hog. He is pretty though. To me he almost looks like a hog/ nic. He probably isn't but just the little cross on his head reminds me of most nics I've seen.

Comment

Very pretty snake, but definitely a cross. Buyer beware, but for the price you can't go wrong.
                    http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

The first thing I thought when I saw the picture was.. hm.. I think he isn't pure Hog. Then I saw your question...
                      So in my opinion, he's a hog looking sibling of a hypo-hog-cross to get DH sunsets.
                      Half of the litter will be normal looking, but still has the influence of hog. Therefor he looks like a hog, but isn't really one.

Still it is a very nice boa and indeed when you payed only that small amount on him, you had a good deal, because it's really a nice one, just not pure, but still very nice!

Nicole

Comment

Working...
                      X