Possible rat bite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible rat bite?

I just adopted this snake and 1 other last night. I made the trip right after I got off work at 6pm...didnt get home til about 1:30am. **** this ADDICTION!! lol

This morning as I was looking them over a little better I noticed these marks. It looks like rat bites to me.. One looks like its healing pretty well and just about gone (no picture) but this one looks pretty fresh. The owners said they changed scenery in the tanks quite often but i highly doubt that. To make a loooooong story short I have been waiting on them for a little over 2 months to bring them to me but something always came up. FInally I said Ill just go get them, can you meet me half way? They agreed then backed out so I sucked it up and drove all the way. When we got there and took them out of the enclosure they freaked. They said they hadnt been handled that much in over a year and we JUST taken them out of the tank. I realized the reason "something came up" was because they were too scared to take the snakes out. We talked about feeding and they fed live jumbo rats in the tank. So I figure these are rat bites? Looks kinda similar to a mouse bite my ball got last year when my dumb *** room mate fed it while I was gone.

Anyways...heres the pics.

Cell phone pic...sorry. This is a 50 gal tub i transported it in.

Re: Possible rat bite?

Do you think its a bite or something else? Should I do anything to it or just let it heal itself?

Comment

Looks like a rat bite to me. If the wound is still open, you can use polysporin (sp?) on it. Other than that, as long as it doesn't look infected, let it heal.

Nice pick ups. Gongrats on the new additions!

-Sean in NoCal
      “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
      -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Thanks. Thats what I thought too but somebody else told me they thought it was a popped blister?

Here is the other one I picked up. He? looks kind of like a salmon maybe?

You cant really tell from the pictures but this baby is really reddish brown. Im new to the boa world so help a guy out!

Comment

Those probably are Rat bites, they appear to be on the mend. Use the
          Neosporin or polysporin that Sean suggested and they'll be alright
          That 2nd Boas head has that color you see with some
          hypo/Salmon type Boas but in this case that particular Boa
          is normal nicely colored Boa.
          The hypo/Salmon Boas have really reduced black to the point that the
          upper tail saddles have pretty much no black border around them
          in most cases.
          You'll get used to identifying different Boa traits like hypo/Salmon as
          you look at more Boas and realize what you are looking at.

The only other thing I can ad is these Boas have the appearance
          of possibly being dehydrated.
          Make sure they have plenty of clean water and good humidity levels.

Lar M
          Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Boa Amarali View Post
            The only other thing I can ad is these Boas have the appearance
            of possibly being dehydrated.
            Make sure they have plenty of clean water and good humidity levels.
            I'll get on that. Thanks. They were housed in a glass jewelry display case with a metal screen top and 2 five gallon buckets of water. The one with the bites was soaking in a bucket when we got there but theres no way that any humidity could stay in the enclosure. Im getting it taken care of. Thanks.

Comment

Actually its only the first one that gives me that impression, but
              might as well give them some good humidity
              and of course clean water to drink

Lar M
              Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Re: Possible rat bite? UPDATE!

The scab just fell off a minute ago. I soaked him in the tub for a few minutes, pat-dried him with a towel and held him for a few more minutes. Then it just fell off. Its not bleeding or puss looking or moist or anything.

I touched it and it doesnt seem to hurt the snake, he didnt even notice.

Comment

Re: Possible rat bite? UPDATE!

Just ad Neosporin /triple antibiotic now

Lar M
                  Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Thanks. He seems a little pissy now but it was expected. Ill put it on and leave him be for a day or so.

Comment

real nice pick ups dude good luck with them hope the bite heal goes real well

Comment

Congrats on the rescues. Glad to know that they're in good hands now.
                        "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

I say yeah it is probably a rat bite or possibly a burn but I think you're in the clear. It isn't a open wound anymore so it appears to be healing well. Just keep an eye on it and watch for infection or it to get worse. How did he handle after you pulled him out?

Comment

He seems to be doing pretty well. I will try to get him out tomorrow to get some pictures of his wound and keep you guys updated on him. I really think hes going to be just fine.

Comment

Very nice pick up's! I am glad that you went to get them and give them a better life!

Comment

Working...
                              X