Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albino Boa Quality?

Hey all,

I haven't posted this week because it was a tad difficult for me. I'm afraid that Spiritus, the male Sunset with the hemipene prolapse died a week after his surgery in my hands. The stress and anesthetics were too much for him.

His death however did an unexpected twist... my father who -hates- snakes took me with him to bury him. And not only that, he bought me a new Boa of my choosing.

I found this wee male available for sale(albinos aren't commonly sold here) and I got him.

So this is Koko, short for Kokopelli.

He is a Khal and I really love the way he looks. However, I am not that experienced with Albinos so I was wondering if there are "grades" for albinos and what should one look for in a baby that could serve as an indication that he/she will be good looking adults.

Without flash:

With flash:

Thanks for peeking,

Oren

Re: Albino Boa Quality?

Looks like a pretty darn nice Albino Oren. I have seen some Lipstick line Albino's
    that look very much like him. Usually there are two main qualities people look
    for High contrast meaning colorful tail and saddles which may help the
    saddles and tail color to continue to be visible into adulthood. Because
    most Kahl Albino loose there saddles and tail color as they mature.Along
    with contrast sometimes comes whiter base color with less tendency to
    turn yellow.
    The other characteristic many people look for is colorful Albino Boas.
    Meaning the base color develops alot of color, red ,orange, pink, peach
    type coloration.
    Coral Albino's and Pastel Albino's will develop this type of color.

Here is a thread that talks about Albino Boas and shows some pictures
    Click on this title below to go there

albino selling question

Lar M
    Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Lars as always you're a fountain of Boa-lore. Thank you very much!

Well I guess mine isn't a coral, but I didn't think he was... I actually don't like corals much.
      I think he has a decent contrast... the first pic does him the most justice color-wise.
      The female with him barely had any contrast, only somewhere down the tail.

I hope vestiges of color will remain but I am not counting on it... luckily I will be able to produce Sunglows.

Either way I like him alot because he has quite the cool 'tude about him

Comment

I'm very sorry to hear about Spiritus. May he RIP.

About your new 'bino...well, he looks GREAT! He should keep some of his color as he matures.

Comment

Thank you!

Israel is very low on Albino Boas... I would say that 25 in total would be a very optimistic estimate as to their numbers here at this point.

Sunglows I'd have to say 10-15. Possibly less.

So it's not like I had a lot to choose from, nor did I really expect to get a very top notch animal. Honestly I am positively surprised.
          He -could- be from the Lipstick line, I should ask the breeder who got him... he has a good taste and is quite keen on the lipstick line... it is possible that he brought them from there... I don't know if it really matters though.

He is a cool dude, very docile, until you put him back down and close his cage... -then- he remembers to hiss and be feisty.
          Aside from that, he loves to spend his time staring at me.

I love the little dude. He can't replace Spiritus... no one ever will... but he does fill some of the huge gape that was caused by his death.

I guess I now know better than to breed a male at 16 months of age... if everything goes well than no harm done- but if something does go wrong, they are possibly not strong enough to cope with it

Comment

Sorry for your loss Oren. Your Albino will be great looking as he ages. Very nice contrast in color. RIP Spiritus.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Comment

sorry for your loss this guy is very pretty, whether or not he will coral up for you, well, you wont know for sure until he gets older IMO the higher quality boas will at least hold their color into adulthood, if not gain more color as they age

Comment

Aww I am very sorry for your loss. That was very sweet of your father to buy you a new boa, and it's a gorgeous little thing too.

Comment

Sorry to hear about spiritus. That has to be a very tough thing to go through. On a better note. Koko is a very beautiful albino!!!

Comment

sorry for your loss dude and WOW 25 albinos in the country i think there is 25 albinos within 25 miles of me lol so if you dont mind with those being that rare out there what did you pay and what do sunglows run in israel

Comment

Well you need to take into account the fact that though they may be rare, there are also far fewer people who are interested in them. The field consists of far less people.
                      I paid the equivalent of 700$ roughly. Sunglows... none was ever sold, so it will probably be twice that or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder Child View Post
                        Well you need to take into account the fact that though they may be rare, there are also far fewer people who are interested in them. The field consists of far less people.
                        I paid the equivalent of 700$ roughly. Sunglows... none was ever sold, so it will probably be twice that or more.
                        wow $700 for an albino thats crazy i wonder what it would cost to import a from the US into Israel so how many breeders are there in your area?

Comment

Very nice looking Boa you have. Sorry to hear about your loss.
                          sigpic

Jeffrey Ryan Roecker
                          Gresham,OR
                          Save our Reptiles!!
                          I Brake for Snakes!!::

Comment

Originally posted by MSwift View Post
                            wow $700 for an albino thats crazy i wonder what it would cost to import a from the US into Israel so how many breeders are there in your area?
                            Very few who are serious enough to buy them I believe.
                            Maybe in a few years' time

Comment

Sorry to hear about your loss. Mazel tov on the new Albino, it is beautiful and it was very touching to hear of a father who would put his own feelings about snakes aside for a moment to help his child feel better. The quality seems very good indeed and the price would be a good deal here in Canada so it seems to me that it is a bargain as far away as Israel. My friends paid more than they are willing to admit to import a Golden Retriever recently so I know how tough it can be to find what you want. Good luck with Koko.

Comment

Working...
                              X