Eddy, DH Sunglow has Arrived! (DUW)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddy, DH Sunglow has Arrived! (DUW)

Eddy arrived this morning via UPS Over Night Air. He actually got here 2 hours ago... and he's still cruising around his cage! I don't think I've ever seen such an active or inquisitive boa.

Eddy is a beautiful '09 Male DH Sunglow BCI from Fermin at Spidey's Reptiles. He's approx 23 inches (I haven't done an exact measurement). He shed yesterday, and it looks like there's a small spot on his back that didn't shed, so I'll have to help him with that.

...and he just peed as I was typing this. LOL! 2 hours and I already have to spot clean.

He was a little cold when I took him out but warmed up fast. No post transport aggression - as gentle as a lamb. He's in very good spirits.

I do have two concerns: one was with UPS... They rang the door bell and left the box on the front porch! It's November 17th! Thankfully I was home and expecting the package so I had it in the house before the driver was in his truck.

The second is that there is a sore of some sort on Eddy's belly towards his tail. Not sure what it is - possibly a burn. I've contacted the breeder and sent photos, but haven't heard back yet.

First up - pics of Eddys arrival.

The below pics show the sore. The scales are slightly raised and yellowed. I've never seen a burn on a snake first hand so I'm not sure if that's what this is or not. Hopefully the breeder will shed some light on this. I'm a little peeved it wasn't mentioned in our communications prior to shipping.

Thanks for looking.

Re: Eddy, DH Sunglow has Arrived! (DUW)

Thats a nice looking DH Sunglow. Not sure what that lil "sore" is but it doesn't look too serious at all. Just keep an eye on it and it should get better as he sheds.

Steve

Comment

he awesome man so clean to congrats does the wife know yet?

and ya im not sure what that is either possibly just irritation but i have no clue dude sorry

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'm really excited about this guy! If the colors in and around his tail are any indication he could have some serious color as he gets older.

Originally posted by MSwift View Post
        does the wife know yet?
        Yeah... I called her at work. I didn't want to tell her on the phone, but I need to take our oldest son to his swim class tonight, so she'll be getting home after we head out. I didn't want her to walk in the house to a new snake without some warning.

Let's just say she was less than thrilled. The conversation went better than I had had hoped, but I have a feeling she's saving the heated portion of the discussion until she gets home.

Comment

Originally posted by MLynch View Post
          Yeah... I called her at work. I didn't want to tell her on the phone, but I need to take our oldest son to his swim class tonight, so she'll be getting home after we head out. I didn't want her to walk in the house to a new snake without some warning.

Let's just say she was less than thrilled. The conversation went better than I had had hoped, but I have a feeling she's saving the heated portion of the discussion until she gets home.
          if you would have just let her come home the phone call would have been funnier lol and i'm sure your right it will be a nice family dinner i hope we see you again ..... well it doesnt sound like she will kill you just maybe a little lol again man congrats i hope your right about her color i cant wait to watch it grow up

Comment

Congratulations ! Eddy looks great. It must have been delivery day for many of
            us RTB.com people. You , Joe , me all got Boas shipped to us today.

I can't tell what that is on eddy's tummy but it does irritated and red
            Put a little Neosporin or triple Antibiotic ointment on there
            that'll help him out !

P.S. By the way its normal for the delivery guy to set the package on the porch.
            The deliverty guy most likely has no idea there is a live reptile in that package
            even if it says so on the box . He just follows procedure
            That's why you are supposed to be home on the day of a Boa delivery
            any time of the year summer heat is even worse on a Boa or Reptile

Lar M
            Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

It is delivery day on RTB forum for sure. Congrats on the delivery and I bet you are real excited. I know I can't wait to get my little worm home.

The sore looks weird to me. I can't see a good breeder using a heat rock or something like that. Can you see anything under the scale? Looks like a bite in a way. It maybe nothing but something worth watching.

Congrats again and enjoy him or her. lol

Comment

what a cutie!! i have no idea what those weird little scales could be either

Comment

Congrats Mike! Eddy is a looker that's for sure. Keep us posted on those "funny" scales. I think a few sheds will take it away.

Comment

Brother, that is fine! Thanks for naming him after me too!

Comment

Very nice double het! Hopefully the breeder did not know about the wound because I would hate it if he shipped a wonded snake as a perfect one and makes things right with you! But either way he is an awesome boa!

Comment

Thanks guys.

He's been active all day! When he finally sleeps he's going to crash! Somthing tells me that all this activity is related to stress. Hopefully in a week or so he'll have calmed down.

Originally posted by jvarner View Post
                        Keep us posted on those "funny" scales. I think a few sheds will take it away.
                        I'm thinking that too.

Originally posted by Boa Amarali View Post
                        I can't tell what that is on eddy's tummy but it does irritated and red
                        Put a little Neosporin or triple Antibiotic ointment on there
                        that'll help him out !
                        We're on the same page. I've already put ointment on it in hopes that it will help.

I don't think it's a bite - I've seen bites before and this doesn't look like that to me. And I don't see anything under the scales except skin.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

...No word from the breeder yet.

Comment

Congrats on the beautiful new addition Mike!
                          "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Bebo!

OK, I heard from the breeder. He apologized for not noticing the irritation before shipping. He admitted to not giving him a once over before packing him up.

His guess is that it might be from prolonged exposure to moisture. He uses only ambient heat with his reptiles, so that eliminates a possible burn. He said that Eddy had spilled his water bowl a few days before shipping so it looks like that's what it is.

I'm continuing treatment with ointment, and I'll be raising the ambient temp in his cage. I don't see any blisters, but will keep an eye on it. Any other thoughts? Should I lower his humidity a bit until he heals?

Comment

Beautiful! I like him. I think I'm loosing it because every new snake I see with their different colors and patterns I fall in love. Since I'm a newbie I have to be patient and take it slow. I was reading the post about telling your wife LOL. I may run into that problem if I don't get over my new sickness because I don't think my husband will be happy with a house full of snakes. At the reptile show he had to have the breeder double check to see if they were both same sex so we won't have babies. It's like getting a tattoo you can get hooked easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X