No announcement yet.

An interesting litter, lots of pics....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting litter, lots of pics....

I don’t think I have ever posted any pics of this litter anywhere, so it makes its debut here at Redtailboas. I have been working on this post for a few days now, wasn’t quite sure what to say or how to present it, but I just wanted to share with everyone. So here goes…..

This is my RAJO Litter (Raven x Jordi) born June of this year. Both parents have lots of striping going on and are very dark and almost anery looking. The sire (Jordi) is a littermate of Kohler who is a Salmon Double Het Blood/Anery. Kohler is the one that produced a Pewter for me in 2008. So with Jordi being Kohler’s brother, Jordi could be het anery and/or het blood. Both Raven and Jordi were purchased as Normals 66% het blood. There were no Blood Boas produced in this litter, you would think that out of 10 babies I would have at least hit one Blood Boa if both parents were Het Blood. So at this point, I feel at best, that one parent could still be a het blood making these babies Possible 50% Het Bloods.

Anyway, out of this litter of only 10 babies, one was a still born, and oh what a still!! This was a very slow starting litter, very picky eaters, so I never even had thought of offering them for sale while they were being so picky, last thing I want is baby I sold dying with the new owner, not my style.

So now I have this dilemma; they are now all eating great and would be ready for sale but I have grown fond of this litter, after being able to appreciate what great stripes they have and seeing how clean most of them are as well. Some have gotten more contrasty. That 10th baby that did not make it was very strange indeed. It did not look hypo, which it could not have been, but it had a much lighter look than any of its siblings and had very little black speckling. Maybe it could be like some form of T-Pos or something similar?? I don’t know. So there might be something interesting going on with their genetics.

So without further delay, here are the pics. The 10th baby that was so very different is at the end.

Here is a pic of the Dam, Raven. She is in shed in this pic but you get the idea, she is dark and striped. She was like 3.5 years old and just under 4ft long when she gave birth to her litter in June of this year.

Here is a pick of the Sire, Jordi, again dark and striped.

Here are couple of pics of the litter, I thought I had taken more litter pics, but I can’t find them.

And here are shots of the individual babies that I took the other day.

This one is my favorite. I find it fascinating, super contrasty and clean, and has small areas of pink coloration around the side medallions.

Here are the picks of that strange littermate that did not make it.

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed the pics and the post and hope everyone had and is having a great Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend.

Alex Tower
    Serpentine Selections

P.S. – After putting this post together, I can really appreciate the time and effort a lot of you put into taking pics and creating posts, it takes some time!! Good thing for Holiday Weekends!! LOL
    Last edited by Serpsel; 11-28-2009, 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: An interesting litter, lots of pics....

Those are some pretty babies. If you decided you want to get rid of some let me know!

Comment

Amazing looking babies! I would say you have something special going on with them genetically. Were all the babies born with abberences and stripes? I'm sure a few members would be very happy to take a few off your hands.

Comment

Those are awesome babies!

Comment

very nice looking kiddos!

as for the 'mystery baby,' it may have died before all the color came in. color is the last thing to develop for them (or close to it) so i've read, and if it died in-utero (sp?) it may just not have developed the color it was supposed to.

jeff ronne made a post about that issue not too long ago (can't find it right now). he may have a solid answer for you.

Comment

sweet sorry bout the loss it was a looker really nice litter though how many babies did you produce?

Comment

Originally posted by Serpsel View Post

THESE are my FAVORITES!...the first one i love his striping...the second i love his CircleBack look...and the third one i like his tail striping thickness!

AWESOME litter and i wouldn't blame you for wanting to keep them all!

ONE QUESTION...do these by any chance carry a bit of CA in them?
              Ernest

www.magikboas2011.wix.com/home Where you will find Available Boas to my Magik BBQ Sauce!

Comment

Originally posted by JLTerry View Post
                Amazing looking babies! I would say you have something special going on with them genetically. Were all the babies born with abberences and stripes? I'm sure a few members would be very happy to take a few off your hands.
                I would say only one does not show at least some tail striping and I would say that at least half show some abberancies.

Comment

Originally posted by dangles View Post
                  very nice looking kiddos!

as for the 'mystery baby,' it may have died before all the color came in. color is the last thing to develop for them (or close to it) so i've read, and if it died in-utero (sp?) it may just not have developed the color it was supposed to.

jeff ronne made a post about that issue not too long ago (can't find it right now). he may have a solid answer for you.
                  Thats a very interesting theory, and it is possible that it applies here, except that the baby in question displays more color on its tail than any of its siblings, so I don't think it is a matter of it having died before all the color came in, unless somehow, the tail color developed before the background color had a chance to fully develop?? I don't know, I guess only breeding trials might provide an answer. But thanks for the heads up on Jeff's theory, if you do find the link, I would love to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by MSwift View Post
                    sweet sorry bout the loss it was a looker really nice litter though how many babies did you produce?
                    If you are asking about this litter, there were 10 babies total, including the one that didn't make it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPaPaErnest View Post
                      THESE are my FAVORITES!...the first one i love his striping...the second i love his CircleBack look...and the third one i like his tail striping thickness!

AWESOME litter and i wouldn't blame you for wanting to keep them all!

ONE QUESTION...do these by any chance carry a bit of CA in them?
                      Thanks Ernest. You got good taste, those are some of my favorites as well. As far as the CA goes, they could have CA Blood in them. Their grandparents were Salmons Het Blood. Blood Boas originated in El Salvador which is in Central America. So if one of the parents of this litter is Het Blood, then some of the babies could be Het Blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Serpsel View Post
                        I would say only one does not show at least some tail striping and I would say that at least half show some abberancies.
                        So these parents were not known to be genetic stripes before this breeding but produced these beautiful offspring. You may have a new line of genetic stripes that need to be proved out. That alone would probably make me keep them for myself if I was you. Again, great looking litter!

Comment

Great post Alex , beautiful babies. I just don't understand why so often its the
                          best babies that don't make it !?!

That little one was clean colorful contrasty great pattern unique
                          ( some form of Hypomelanism - like Super Pastel, or T-Pos , or something )

Alex you are certainly right some posts take me literally hours to put together just on the post .

That's after spending hours taking pictures then narrowing down the best
                          then editing and uploading them , WOW exhausting

Lar M
                          Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

wow nice litter definately genetic in that striping, I heard somewhere that striping happens with a lower temp during the gestation period. but mama and papa gave those kids theirs no doubt. thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Boa Amarali View Post
                              Great post Alex , beautiful babies. I just don't understand why so often its the
                              best babies that don't make it !?!

That little one was clean colorful contrasty great pattern unique
                              ( some form of Hypomelanism - like Super Pastel, or T-Pos , or something )

Alex you are certainly right some posts take me literally hours to put together just on the post .

That's after spending hours taking pictures then narrowing down the best
                              then editing and uploading them , WOW exhausting
                              Thanks Larry. I think the best most unusual babies in a litter sometimes are genetically weaker for some reason, maybe it is the mix of all the stuff that makes them unique also makes them weaker??

And that one that didn't make it, I think I still have it in my rat freezer. If I can dig it out, I might take some additional photos, with better lighting so we can get a better look, but yes there is something different about that one me thinks!!

And regarding the posting, its not just the original posts that take so much time, but it is following up with answers to questions also. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, just pointing out the dedication that a lot of active forum members have, especially if they are active in multiple forums. So to you and others that are so giving of their time and knowledge and make the forums a fun and informational destination. I for one, tend to be OC(obsessive compulsive), I tend to post for awhile and then it seems like I will disappear and take a break for awhile, or wait, maybe its just A.D.D., what was I saying?

Comment

Working...
                              X