Say hello to my little friend...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say hello to my little friend...

Picked this little guy up from Brian Barczyk at BHB Reptiles. We've been wanting a Western Hognose for a while, so I decided to pick him up during BHB's Black Friday sale. He just came in this morning.

Introducing our new little normal Western Hognose.... Homer.

I love these packages!

A big ol' box for a little bitty snake... lol.

The weather got a lot colder over the past two days here. Homer was packaged great and had two little heat packs in the box with him, but he was still a little cold at first.

But, we got him out and he started warming up pretty quick. I thought Shalena was going to be a little apprehensive about holding him, but she warmed up to him immediately. I believe her exact words were "Look at that cute little face... let me have him!"

Gotta' love that little snout.

Now he's happy and warm in his new little home.
    "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Re: Say hello to my little friend...

It is definitly very cute. Looks like it will be a lot of fun to play with that.

Comment

they are so cute small never been a fan of hognoses but i like that color is it just a normal? i dont know much about hognoses how big do they get

Comment

Originally posted by MSwift View Post
        they are so cute small never been a fan of hognoses but i like that color is it just a normal? i dont know much about hognoses how big do they get
        Yep yep, he's just a normal. The pics make him look a little like a red phase, but he's actually a deep brown. (Doesn't mean that he doesn't have red phase blood, but I wouldn't call him that.)

They only get to about 2 to 2 1/2 feet as an adult. They are wonderful little snakes and awesome little 'actors' as they put on quite a display with their defense mechanisms. Puffing up and hissing, spreading their neck to immitate a Cobra, closed mouth strikes, and eventually playing dead.

Some people are a little apprehensive about them due to their saliva having minimal cytotoxic effects. They are rear fanged, but rarely if ever bite in defense. Usually the bites are from a feeding response. Their saliva is practically harmless to humans and at most causes some mild to moderate swelling. The worst results I have seen caused moderate swelling that went up to the guys elbow and lasted a three day period from the time of the bite to the time the swelling was basically gone.

Most people who have been bitten show very minimal swelling at the bite site, if any effects at all.

He's not one that I'll let the kids handle at will, but I'm not going to shelter them from him either. Education is key!
        "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

Yeah I like the way they look.....he also sells the anaconda Hognose(morph)..But there kinda expensive....

Im waiting for them to get some black mexican milk snakes...Ive always wanted to document the change in color

Comment

Nice looking Hognose! They are cute in their own little way. Congrats on that pick up!

Comment

I love how cute baby hognoses are. That little domed head and up-tunrned snout adorable. The kind of remind me of my pug when he was a puppy. Even as adults they are a uniquely cute animals.

I've always been a fan of hognoses: small, cute, and natural thespians.

Congrats, Bebo! A really nice addition.

So what's he eat a this size?

Comment

very cool looking, gotta love the hog noses

Comment

Cute little bugger Ben , he's a little squirt

Lar M
                  Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Thanks B

Comment

OMG he is so cute!! I love the name you chose for him, it fits him well. Awww!! I can see myself getting one of those someday. Congrats!

Comment

Awe what a cutie. I'm having a a brain fart but that hoggie reminds of the girl in a movie that was just recently in theaters with the stuck up pig nose.lmao

Comment

Cute little Hoggy. Those guys are neat.

How was BHB to deal with? They have an Albino Kenyan I'm kind of interested in...

Comment

Nice hognose! I have been interested in them for a while and brian sure does have some nice ones!

Comment

I remember know, "Penelope".lmao

Comment

Working...
                              X