My first boa. Need help identifying.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first boa. Need help identifying.

Got my first boa at the reptile show last sunday. Not sure what kind he is. He was sold as a Hog Island x Longicauda but I'm not sure if that's exactly what he is. He's got lots of salmon shades on his sides and few speckles. Any ideas?

Re: My first boa. Need help identifying.

Welcome to RedTailBoas forum

I don't know anybody in there right mind that would attempt to cross those two
    Sub species or advertise a Boa as it was those two sub species crossed

I believe your Boa is a normal Colombian type Boa

I see no Hog Island influence and

definitely see no Longicauda influence,

Did this person you purchased this Boa from say who produced it ?

It never ceases to amaze me of some of the people selling Boas that have
    absolutely no idea what they are doing or what they are talking about.

Please Understand I'm not in anyway making a judgment about you

I find it appalling that people who are entirely uneducated about Boas are
    actually selling Boas to people and misleading them with bad information.

They do the community a disservice and you as a new comer are definitely
    being offered a complete disservice.

Looks like a nice pretty little normal Colombian Boa ,

congratulations on your new pretty Boa !!
    Last edited by Boa Amarali; 01-20-2010, 01:33 AM.

Lar M
    Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

welcome to the forum check out the ultimate care guides on the left side of the home page. and I agree that your boa indeed looks to be a common rtb aka normal.

Comment

Ditto what Lar said,

and Welcome!

Amie

Comment

Welcome to the forum and be sure to check out the Ultimate Care Guide. This is a good place to come ask questions about your new family member and get straight answers. Like Lar said, I believe you have a nice normal or "common" boa.

Comment

to me he doesnt look like either a hog or a BCL lol....but hey what do i know? he is beautiful though, i bet he will make a gorgeous adult, congrats

Comment

I am still new to this Morph thing, but he looks like a "Normal" (Poss het Anery)...Looks like this one kingsnake.com Classifieds: Normals het Anery

Either way you have a nice looking Boa. Congrats on your 1st one.

Comment

Very nice boa! I love its face (i'm into faces) I absolutely loved the close up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildman09 View Post
                  I am still new to this Morph thing, but he looks like a "Normal" (Poss het Anery)...Looks like this one kingsnake.com Classifieds: Normals het Anery

Either way you have a nice looking Boa. Congrats on your 1st one.
                  You can't tell this from appearance. A het for anery has no outward display of the anery trait. You'd have to know the genetics behind the animal to know this.

I agree with everyone else, it looks like a lovely normal.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your new baby boa too!

Just give him a year or so and you will see those peachy colors on his sides pop! He will get even better looking with time.

Comment

Oop! Sorry I just realized my thread replies don't notify me via email like my other threads do. Lol.

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the lovely comments. I feel right at home!

I had a feeling that he wasn't what he was sold as. He was also sold to me with a slight RI but after raising his temps up he is almost completely recovered. The seller did not give me a name or number or anything when I purchased him. He just took the money and ran off only telling me that he eats every Tuesday. That's the last time I ever buy from a reptile show and especially with someone I don't clearly know yet. I have learned my lesson. I really wanted a Hog Island but I still love him none the less.

Now I'm off to research Colombians! Thanks again for all your help peoples and I will definitely keep you posted.

Comment

nice snake either way. and welcome to rtb!

Comment

Originally posted by RayneFyre View Post

That's the last time I ever buy from a reptile show and especially with someone I don't clearly know yet. I have learned my lesson. I really wanted a Hog Island but I still love him none the less.
                          i woudlnt say that you would never buy from a reptile show again... IMO, i think that could be the best way to go. alot of breeders WHO KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE, go to shows and sell there.... its up to you as the buyer to know what your looking at and if the seller is giving you the correct info.... you being a first timer, i cant blame you for not know, but the seller shoud be ashamed of himself because he told you one thing and it was completely wrong as far as subspecies and everything.... so again, do your research, KNOW WHAT YOU WANT..... and know what your looking at before you buy..... but yes i agree with everyone, very nice normal..... AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM....

have you heard of the S373/HR2811...... if not do your homework and take action.......

Comment

So, I went to the local reptile show today to pick up a RodentPro order and while I was there I went and talked to the guy that sold me Gauge. I asked him about Gauge's parents and he insisted that his mom was a pure Hog Island and his dad was a pure Longicauda. He even showed me Hogs and Longs that he had for sale. He stated that he experimented with combining the two in order to produce boas that had the black highlights of the Longicauda as well as the chameleon like color changing characteristics of a Hog Island. He said the outcome was gray and black babies with intense hints of pink and salmon. I double checked his story and questioned him more and more, and he seemed very insistent on the fact that he knew what he was doing and remembered the breeding exactly. He had one of Gauge's supposed siblings in the container (the one of the two I saw but didn't buy) that showed more the colorings of a Hog but still had the Longicauda darkness also. I don't know if his story is true or not but he seemed so sure, almost to the point of being offended, about the fact that Gauge is half pure Hog and half pure Longicauda. Any thoughts on the matter?

Comment

Working...
                            X