A diverse diet is a good thing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A diverse diet is a good thing!

So, I had to buy snake food online for the first time in over a year the other day; it seamed like the perfect opportunity to add some diversity to my boas' diets. I ordered a few quail to spice things up. I'm a big believer in mixing up the diet for our boas. I'm pretty sure they don't limit their diets to one prey item in the wild. I didn't have any monkeys, so quail will have to suffice.

My kittens were all over the box. It's like they knew what was inside.

My biggest boas have eaten quail before, but it was the first time for Romeo and Juliet.

Romeo, 1.0 2010 hypo:

Juliet. 0.1 2010 salmon inferno. Although, based on size, I'm starting to think that I may need to change "her" name to Julio.

They took the down like champs. It took them a min. to figure out how to get them down, but once they did, gone.

-Sean in NoCal
    “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
    -Teddy Roosevelt.

Re: A diverse diet is a good thing!

Originally posted by Pandorasdad View Post
    My kittens were all over the box
    They are kittens and it is a box. They are preprogrammed to investigate all boxes.

Tim

http://www.facebook.com/BoidsOhio?bookmark_t=page

Comment

I totally agree!! My boa gets mostly rats and then a quail every third or fourth feeding. I have also fed her very small weaned rabbits (less than a pound) in the past, but those are hard to come by and a bit pricey. When she's big enough to take 1-2lb rabbits she will definitely be getting some. My retics are on a diet of rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, quail, and chicken. Eventually I'll probably add piglets into the mix once the snakes are big enough to take meals in the 3-5lb range. I really do believe that variety is best for the long term overall health of the snake. It may not get them as big as possible as quickly as possible, but that is not my goal when it comes to feeding.

Comment

Awesome LOL.... The kittens wants to play with the box LOL... Gave me the information on where you got the quail from.. I have been looking for some in my area but nobody seems to ever have any when i attend the reptile expo`s that i go too.. Thanks
        sigpicJrock23

Comment

You want diversity ? Throw In the kittens

Comment

Originally posted by Morgans Boas View Post
            Yeah, my kids wouldn't appreciate that...

Sent from my HTC One via Tapatalk

-Sean in NoCal
            “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
            -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandorasdad View Post
              quail will have to suffice
              I hear ya and we have had this discussion before. You have at it, I'm still having pigeon poo nightmares.
              http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Originally posted by Morgans Boas View Post
                Hahahaha ROFL this is the best advice ever xD

Comment

Originally posted by zamora View Post
                  You have at it, I'm still having pigeon poo nightmares.
                  [MENTION=7407]zamora[/MENTION] I've never had a single bad poo from quail. Any even my picky eaters attach quail with enthusiasm.

-Sean in NoCal
                  -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Love the pics!

I've been feeding mine quail chicks along with their mice while they're small, they love em!

Comment

Working...
                    X