Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody know what this is? (split in ventral scales)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody know what this is? (split in ventral scales)

just bought this hog boa even though i saw something unusual on its belly. her belly has a split in the middle. i know boas usualy dont have a line down their belly like that. this one has given birth before so i was thinking maybe it has something to do with that. the previous owner says he does not know what it is and bought it like that. anyhow, if anybody has any imput on this i thank you in advance.

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/...psrpwd6qde.jpg

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/...psfkaljhmi.jpg

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/...psinftawnm.jpg

Last edited by bebowebb; 07-01-2015, 08:24 PM.

Re: anybody know what this is? (split in ventral scales)

Nothing to worry about...for some reason some snakes (usually heavy bodied ones) just get creases in their ventral scales. Most don't, but some do... just like some ppl get wrinkles easier than others.
    You mentioned her history of giving birth...that would be a good explanation, IMO. The stretching out, then shrinking down afterwards, PLUS possibly some nutritional deficiencies as a result of reproduction too.
    Let's face it, carrying offspring takes a toll on the body, whether snake or human or otherwise, and if any nutrients are in short supply, that might have weakened the mom's scales, making them bend easier.

Comment

My boa has a tiiiny split in her ventral scales as well, but it's only an inch long and it's barely visible.. I'm curious as well. In for answers.

Comment

I answered on the other thread...looks like there's 3? Maybe the mods can merge them...

Comment

[MENTION=23442]badzogram[/MENTION] - I modified your original thread to display the pictures underneath their individual links.

I also moved the response from one of the other threads to this thread and I removed the other two threads since they were carbon copies of this thread just posted in the different sub-forums.

Here at RTB there is really no need to post the exact same thread in multiple sub-forums, as we get a good amount of trafic but nowhere near enough that your post will not get seen by being posted in one sub-forum alone. HOWEVER - one day I would love to see RTB grow to the size of forum that does get that much activity! We would all love that to see RTB progress like that!

Anyway, I do not think I can be of much help as to your original question; however, there are a ton of knowledgable keepers here and I'm sure someone will have experience with the issue at hand. Hopefully they will be able to provide the answers you are looking for and put your mind at ease.
          "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X