New boa identification help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New boa identification help

Picked this boa up at a reptile show for my kids. The guy said it was a Peruvian x Suriname, does that look right? I am new to Boa's and want to learn as much as I can. Does that make it a BCC or BCI? Any guess on growth rate or max size? I think it is a male. Thanks!

Re: New boa identification help

Why anyone would want to cross a Peruvian with a Suriname is beyond me. Most of us that keep and raise BCC's do it for there natural beauty and strive to keep there bloodlines pure. So typically when you say BCC you would think the boa to be of a specific locale. I would call it a BCC x BCC cross, but for your question I guess technically it is a BCC. As far as size that's going to depend on it's genetics (parents) and how you feed it. Ultimately it is a BCC and it should be fed conservatively and slowly. BCC take longer to mature than BCI but tend to be a little bigger in the end. Being a male I would expect somewhere from 5-8 ft. Enjoy your new boa and please post some pictures and he grows, I'd like to see how he turns out.

Comment

I totally get the cross breeding being frowned upon. However I picked him up as just a pet for my kids who really wanted "their own" snake and really liked the tail (pics don't do it justice). With this being the first boa in the house I needed some education from the boa experts lol.

Comment

If you have any more questions we can surely help. Again, congrats on your new boa.

Comment

Not sure if you have already seen this, but this is good to reference often. http://www.redtailboas.com/f110/down...ion-3-a-31312/

Comment

I would highly doubt that it's truly a Peruvian x Suri cross .. To me , it looks more like either a Colombian x Suri, or a Colombian x Peruvian . Their looks to be some amount of BCI blood in that Boa, to me . But I could be completely wrong too.
            I am new to Boa's and want to learn as much as I can.
            There is a ton of knowledge to learn about Boas , but your's will remain a Boa of unknown origin ,without seeing/knowing exactly what the parents are . It could be a BCI, or BCC, or BCI/BCC cross

Comment

Originally posted by Morgans Boas View Post
              I would highly doubt that it's truly a Peruvian x Suri cross .. To me , it looks more like either a Colombian x Suri, or a Colombian x Peruvian . Their looks to be some amount of BCI blood in that Boa, to me . But I could be completely wrong too.

There is a ton of knowledge to learn about Boas , but your's will remain a Boa of unknown origin ,without seeing/knowing exactly what the parents are . It could be a BCI, or BCC, or BCI/BCC cross
              Thanks for the advice. Here are a few more pics...image.jpg
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Morgans Boas View Post
                I would highly doubt that it's truly a Peruvian x Suri cross
                I was thinking the same thing but was going strictly on what the breeder said. It looks a lot like a BCI x BCC cross by the saddle count and shape and also the facial markings.

Comment

Working...
                X