This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pics please

Can someone please show me a pic of a 4-6 month old columbian red tail? Please!! After seeing all these pics, I'm kinda wondering if my baby is a runt!! She is just now getting thicker...thanks

Re: pics please

Sorry Angelina... I don't have any pics of my lil' girl at that age, but maybe someone will post some for you.

My girl is almost 6 years old and she is starting to fill out more once again. I have a friend with a female Colombian and she is 8' and not quite 40 lbs...almost twice as heavy as mine. Mine was a slow grower when she was a baby...then she packed on the weight and length...then she slowed down again.

I wouldn't worry. They each have there own growing cycles.

I'm 6'4'' and 195 lbs...while my son is 6' and 290 lbs. gonna have to have a talk with that boy...

Comment

HI,
      here's a 5 mos old BCI

same guy at 8 mos,

the BCI are smaller than the true BCC, but my bci seem to grow really fast the first year where the BCC really grow huge the second.
          I am not sure if you mean true columbian or BCI
        doug

Are you feeding rats?? I start my babies on Thawed rat pups slightly larger than the widest part of the snake.
      the snake above is slurping two

I started him on

review that care sheet on food size and types
      cwm15.gif
      [ftp]http://www.redtailboas.com/frozen_thawed/frozen_thawed.html[/ftp]

ordered that boaphile cage yet... hehehe

Comment

wow, your baby is alot bigger and thicker than mine  she is now starting to get thicker.  I am feeding her two pinkies every week.  I thought that the rats would be too big for her...Also I am wondering if she is a columbian red tail because I was looking at Clays site and saw a pic full of hogg island babies and they all resemble cloe!!  She is not as bright (in color )as some babies that I've seen.  Here are some pics of her

Comment

and another one.... ;D Is she too small??

Comment

BTW I didn't get her a boaphile cage because I could never get a hold of anyone to order...we were playing major phone tag. But I will get one later when she gets bigger, I think. I got her a 20gal for now, she really needed something ASAP anyway. It is working out much better than the 10gal, her temp stays 84-88 and humidity is usually 70-80. She loves her new hide!!

Comment

Sounds like you have the enclosure problems fixed.

How long is your Boa and what is your Boas girth?

Comment

She is 19 inches long and 2.5 around. Can I start feeding her a small rat??

Comment

Hmm......maybe you could feed it Pinkie Rats, but I am not sure.

Comment

Nice looking snake. I just got my new snake yesterday. I got it from clay and boy is he nice! He was born on 05/15/02 Clay started feeding him f/t pinke rats from the start. He only was feeding one at at time untill yesterday, I feed him to live pinke rats. The reason I fead live is because the little things don't even have teeth. I will be ordering some frozen rats soon.

Your snake looks as if it might be able to start on rat pups. Good luck

Joshuas32.gif
                    USMC Semper Fi

Comment

Mouse pinkies hold nothing for a baby boa imo. I start mine off on rat pinkies or pups and go from there. Was the snake just recently fed in the pic ? If not then you should be able to feed that snake a tiny rat bigger than just a newborn rat from what I can see. Looks like either there is adequate girth for it or the snake recently ate in the pic. Just go by the girth rule and feed prey by the snake's largest girth point is all. Once you change to rats instead of mice you will see a definative change in your snake's growth also.
                      On your temps... Is that just the warm side or is that your gradient ?

Comment

I agree Lori ;D

Mice should not be fed to boa constrictors unless you are facing a problem of immediate supply, or if we have a very very stubborn eater. It the boa is a very picky eater or shows no interest in the pinkie rats, sometimes the mouse is an alternative. But I would do so ONLY when all else fails. Even then if a mouse is offered for whatever reason, follow next time with the rat again.
                        To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
                        -Clay English
                        Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Thanks for all your help, I will try feeding her a small rat on Sunday. Lori the temps are on the warm side. Sometimes I turn the light on if I feel like I need more humidity, but the cage has been holding good humidity on its own. She shedded a few days ago, and she shed her whole skin, a first for her. I was so excited!! ;D

Comment

Rat fuzzies or crawlers would be the way to go.....should leave a nice lump in her belly and get her growing good....And I have quite a few BCI around 6 months...and there sizes vary greatly...I have one feamle she is about 36 inches and FAT!!!! that is eating small rats with NO problems could handle close to a medium rat....While I have another about teh same size as yours....she is has just recently started growing like she should....But she was strictly a mouse eater and she still isnt too keen on rats of any sort....Just doing the mouse followed by a rat fuzzy to get her to eat them....Good luck with her...and Im sure once you get eating a little larger food items you should see some dramatic changes in her Growth!

Comment

She eats on Sunday, and I am sure that she will take to the rats because she is a very good eater and has never turned down a meal. I started her on mice b/c thats what they told me to do at the pet store, I feel bad now now that I realize that she hasn't been getting the right nutrients that she needs. I would like to start feeding her on frozen/thawed rats because rats are MEAN! I feel like that might be a problem cause my lil girl likes to "hunt" them. I think what I should do is get a live one and frozen ones that way if she won't eat the frozen one then I have a backup. Anyway thanks for all the info

Comment

Working...
                              X