Black-Eyed Boas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black-Eyed Boas

MSwift has a pastel with black eyes... Black eyes are pretty rare on a RT. So I'm curious - what has to occur (genetically) to make this happen. Usually if black eyes are going to occur it's on really dark boas... I seem to remember Jeff posting a pic of a black/near black boa a while back - that I can understand. ...But how does one get black eyes on a pastel... or even a Type II Anery?

Re: Black-Eyed Boas

here is a picture for ref her eyes are pitch black

Comment

It might be a genetic marker of some type.

There was a similar thread somewhere a while about this subject

Super Motley Boas have black eyes

Leopard Boas have black eyes

Super Marron Boas have black eyes

Super Aztec Boas have black eyes I think

Black eyed Anery Boas have black eyes

Blood Boas have black eyes

There are others too

Lar M
      Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Boa Amarali View Post
        It might be a genetic marker of some type.

There was a similar thread somewhere a while about this subject

Super Motley Boas have black eyes

Leopard Boas have black eyes

Super Marron Boas have black eyes

Super Aztec Boas have black eyes I think

Black eyed Anery Boas have black eyes

Blood Boas have black eyes

There are others too
        so where does the "eye gene" do come into play with these morphs? if i breed my pastel to another boa would any of the babies have black eyes?

Comment

OK...now I have to leave work and go home and check my Boa's...lol

I know I have at least one with pure black eyes. When I first noticed it, when I got the boa, I thought nothing of it. Actually, was kinda bumed it did not have the stripe in the eyes like my other boas.

Comment

I have seen one normal Central American boa with pitch black eyes....I'm am waiting anxiously to see what happens when THAT one is bred. It's not known to be het for anything so far.

Amie

Comment

Originally posted by davenkelly View Post
              OK...now I have to leave work and go home and check my Boa's...lol

I know I have at least one with pure black eyes. When I first noticed it, when I got the boa, I thought nothing of it. Actually, was kinda bumed it did not have the stripe in the eyes like my other boas.
              ya i noticed it but thought nothing of it until Big E and Mike said something about it so i got a little excited now i really cant to breed her i just dont have an adult male all my other boas are still babies so once i pay my jungles off ill have to look for a male for her

Comment

Originally posted by MSwift View Post
                so where does the "eye gene" do come into play with these morphs? if i breed my pastel to another boa would any of the babies have black eyes?
                Honestly I have no idea ,its a common thread among those Morphs metioned.

I have a male Boa with those really dark eyes too.

Plus he has unusual color , kind of like a Blood Boa

I'm just as curious as you. I'm sure there are many Boas with black eyes
                that will not prove to be special in any way.

Then there are those that obviously are special

Lar M
                Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Boa Amarali View Post
                  Honestly I have no idea ,its a common thread among those Morphs metioned.

I have a male Boa with those really dark eyes too.

Plus he has unusual color , kind of like a Blood Boa

I'm just as curious as you. I'm sure there are many Boas with black eyes
                  that will not prove to be special in any way.

Then there are those that obviously are special
                  cool thanks larry always love your input i am very very curious now

Comment

Ok I know this thread is kinda old but I have just been wondering about the same thing. Here is my girl, 10 years old, 7 foot, just had a litter of babies 2 months ago and not one of the 18 she had have solid black eyes...I bred her to a normal male I have who has the pattern going through his eyes...so any thoughts on whether one or so of the babies will develop solid black eyes or would they have to have been born with them?
                    My big girl:

One of the babies for fun:

Comment

According to John Berry's Designer Morphs Volume I pg.260, it was believed at the time of publication of his book that the black eye trait was a simple recessive gene. Whether or not this holds true today I have no idea. I just figured this would at least be a step in the right direction for debunking this mystery. I have a leopard boa who is almost solid black and four het leopards (three of which are his offspring and one who is unrelated to my line) and they all have black eyes. All of my hets are breeder size and I have been pairing them to other gene anomolies so hopefully I can give you more imput on this when I produce... if I produce I should say.

Comment

I hope i get response on this I have been quite curious on the matter. My snakes eyes go from pitch black to scale covered. Why does my 7month old RTB's eyes change?

Comment

Just wanted to note that Blood Boas actually have very deep brown eyes, rather than black.... my Leopard's eyes are darker and can be considered black though.

Comment

I have several dark eyed Boas

Boas By Klevitz- Designer Boa Morphs

Available Ronne Pastel Fem Boas | FacebookAvailable Ronne Pastel Fem Boas

RPF3 Head Shot

Ronne Pastel Fem 2
                            - RPF2
                            Available Ronne Pastel Fem Boas | Facebook
                            Available Ronne Pastel Fem Boas

Boas By Klevitz- Designer Boa Morphs

http://www.boasbyklevitz.com/images/RPF1 007 (3).JPGhttp://www.boasbyklevitz.com/images/RPF1 007 (3).JPG
                            www.boasbyklevitz.com

Click on the below picture of RPF1 to see it full size, this Boa is going to live at a new house with Jesse next week.

Lar M
                            Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

K I have emailed a few keepers of boas with black eyes, I have been told that it may be a recessive gene and plan on doing some breeding with one of my hold back males in the future. I'd like to cross him to a Black eyed type two anery to see if I get half litter to come out with solid black eyes. Keep me updated on how your project goes Unnatural Selects!

Comment

Working...
                              X