Is hypo the same as salmon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is hypo the same as salmon

I need to know the difference between Salmon and Hypo if there are any differences at all. i have been seeing pictures and reading about the hypo and salmon. can someone clarify that or me please

Re: Is hypo the same as salmon

Yes they are the same just different lines. Seeing as I'm at work I'll let Larry give u the specifics.lol Or do a simpe search using the "search tab at the top and you will find a few threads on the same topic.

Comment

like steve said just different lines dude here are pics of my hypo and my salmon

HYPO

SALMON

Comment

Yes they are all Hypomelanistic which is a Dominant trait, the Salmon Boa is a specific line of Hypo Boas
        started and named by Rich Ihle of salmonboa.com. Named for the often apparent Salmon base color ,
        especially laterally. Some have more of that color some less.

These days it is becoming much more difficult to differentiate
        between the two main lines of Hypo Boas

That being Salmon Boas and Orangetail Hypo Boas

Lar M
        Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Short answer, yes. Lar covered the details quite well. I like the salmon line better, I think overall they're better looking than the orangetail hypos you see everywhere. Salmons tend to be cleaner with a lighter base color. Just personal preference.
          http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

I tend to be a bigger fan of the Orangetail Hypo Lines

Scarlet Hypo's Orangetail Line

ScarShry_1M

PD8F & ScarShry2F

PD8F & ScarShry2F

ScarShry4F

ScarShry4F

Lar M
            Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

I was told that one tends to muddy up or BLEND colors around saddles to the saddles themselves...Which would that be? or was someone just talking smack?
              Ernest

www.magikboas2011.wix.com/home Where you will find Available Boas to my Magik BBQ Sauce!

Comment

those are some smokin hypos! how come i cant find any with that kinda color that dont cost me over 1K??? lol

Comment

Originally posted by BigPaPaErnest View Post
                  I was told that one tends to muddy up or BLEND colors around saddles to the saddles themselves...Which would that be? or was someone just talking smack?
                  Actually "E" all Hypo's can do that Muddy up thing. In the very beginning
                  most hypo's would muddy up

The Salmons were some of the first to be largely selectively bred into
                  colorful and/or Pastel type lines. Stopping that Muddy up issue

Then Jeff Ronne bred Orangetail Hypo's Selectively in about 2000 and then
                  2002 then the most beautiful Hypos to that date were produced

Originally posted by satyra View Post
                  those are some smokin hypos! how come i cant find any with that kinda color that dont cost me over 1K??? lol

Hey satyra I'm repeating the breeding that produced those colorful Hypo's
                  Mine should be alot more competitively priced (probably $450 - $650 range)
                  That's if I have any success with that pair this season

Lar M
                  Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

I have seen both hypos and salmons with -extreme- oranges... hypo and salmon also sit on the same locus so... I think it will slowly become a technical term to suggest the origin...
                    But really, from what I see, it's all about selective breeding which can yield amazing results- The beautiful Orangetails below are an example for hypos, the cherry line is a wonderful example for salmons.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder Child View Post
                      ... hypo and salmon also sit on the same locus so... I think it will slowly become a technical term to suggest the origin...
                      But really, from what I see, it's all about selective breeding...
                      The following is my understanding of the issue...

They don't simply sit on the same locus, they are the same mutant gene.

Rich Ihle got a couple of the original orange-tail hypos before the trait was formally identified. When he produced some from those originals, he named his own trait (salmon)- which was, in fact, the same mutant gene as the later identified 'orange-tail hypomelanistic boa' (same genetics/lineage).

Since then of course, Rich Ihle has developed the line into what it is today. But they were initially one and the same (although people have been crossing them all so much that they are hard to distinguish anymore).

Is that about right, Larry?

Comment

That's hard to say... it is -likely- the same mutation but... it can also mean that they are just very similar... you can't say for sure.

Scratch that, we can't even know for a fact that this mutation originates from a single gene... as genes pass on in chromosomes, which are a whole bunch of genes(millions of them). It is quite possible that the chromosomes responsible for the mutation are similar enough to have added effect... but there's no real way of comparing them... only assumptions.

That's why you get Paradoxes I believe- because of a slightly different structure in the chromosome responsible for albinism for instance.

Comment

All salmons are hypos
                          but only certain hypos bred by salmonboa or from that line are salmons

Comment

Originally posted by dangles View Post
                            The following is my understanding of the issue...

They don't simply sit on the same locus, they are the same mutant gene.

Rich Ihle got a couple of the original orange-tail hypos before the trait was formally identified. When he produced some from those originals, he named his own trait (salmon)- which was, in fact, the same mutant gene as the later identified 'orange-tail hypomelanistic boa' (same genetics/lineage).

Since then of course, Rich Ihle has developed the line into what it is today. But they were initially one and the same (although people have been crossing them all so much that they are hard to distinguish anymore).

Is that about right, Larry?

That's the proposed theory , we'll never know for certain because the Ihle origin story changed a few times back in the day. From my understanding of it anyway. Many speculate that Rich bought an Orangetail from a pet store before the Orangetail had been identified as the Hypo trait. Then through breeding proved the Boa he had was a genetic trait and named them Salmon. Also because he wrote the scientific paper first the way it was explained to me the trait Scientifically is actually called the Salmon trait because that was the first identified and named trait of its type. Even though the Orangetails actually were first the Salmon trait was the first to be documented scientifically,I believe the paper was peer reviewed as well but don't quote me on that.
                            The thing I find strange is that there was always a difference between
                            Salmon Boas Appearance wise and Hypo Boas.
                            That's the only thing that makes me question the origins of the Salmon being from an actual Orangetail.
                            It doesn't fit that their appearances were identifiably different.
                            That's the only thing that makes me question the first Salmon were
                            actually a pet store Orangetail because the appearance was very
                            different from Salmon to "OT" Hypo.

We'll never know for certain only speculation

Lar M
                            Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

hey Larry - all the pics are broken links for me - which sucks because I wanna see em!

Comment

Working...
                              X