Genetic Aberrant patterns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genetic Aberrant patterns?

I'm just wondering about aberrant patterns in boas, i've read that it's often from temp fluctuation in incubation. Do aberrant patterns ever pass on in offspring?

I bought a pair of 09 aberrant salmons and informed they could pass on the patterns though its unpredictable. They share the same aberrant super salmon father who came from Rich Ihle and produced various degrees of aberrant offspring in each litter.

I've also read that its more common to see aberrant patterns in salmons, though it seems reduction in pattern is more common. Either way i'm still more then happy with them. Just curious about learning more on the subject.

These are some photos when I first got them.
    Female: Aberrant Salmon

Male: Abberant Salmon poss super, 50% het anery

A better shot of the eyes.

Re: Genetic Aberrant patterns?

Everything you said is true. So abberancies are due to temp and not reproducable, but reputable breeders know when that happens and you will usually not see a whole litter otherwise it might be something. In the case of the aby line it is a genetic abberancy that can be passed on. There are other morphs and lines that do this as well. The hypo gene in general will produce abberencies that will be unpredictable so that part is correct as well.

Nice snakes you have here. The eyes remind me of Sabogae hypos.

Comment

Abberent patterns can be a cause of temps during gestation. but some are coming into light from genetics aswell. take the inferno pastel that originated from tony hawk
      well this years litters from different breeders but still same line I think we are at f3 maybe f4 are starting to show abberent patterns from different breeders. boahandler had a good 1/3 of his litter aswell as tony had a few himself. So unless it's coincidence that they both had close to the same temps (out of the ordinary temps) to cause this would be a real coincidence.
      The hypo change patterns in other morphs when added any way so say hypo to motley. So I'm not sure what exactly is going on with the hypo pattern anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by snake77 View Post
        Abberent patterns can be a cause of temps during gestation.
        AND what would those temps be?
        Ernest

www.magikboas2011.wix.com/home Where you will find Available Boas to my Magik BBQ Sauce!

Comment

This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. If it isn't worth anything then so be it.

I believe the issue of gestation temps and pattern aberrancies is an urban myth. Even IF it IS true, it is a very, very dangerous thing to try to do on purpose. Even IF you are successful with it, lets be honest in what you got. It won't be a genetic mutation but instead a form of retardation of the development of the boa inside the mother. To what degree that retardation effects other characteristics is anybodies guess. It's just a bad idea.

Like I said, this is just my opinion. I could very well be wrong.

Comment

Those are Salmon Boas ? Man they are beautiful but show more
            Hypo Characteristics than Salmon IMO

That male is wicked , looks like a Hypo or Salmon Jungle.

There are some threads discussing this exact topic of aberrant patterned Boas

Here is a good thread about the subject

How about a little controversy? - Click here

Lar M
            Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BigPaPaErnest View Post
              AND what would those temps be?
              Man I don't know I just keep hearing that aswell. I thought but don't quote me on it but didn't Jeff mention that once. I would like to know as well.
              I thought it was if the temps dropped around to the 70's for a period don't know what period that this could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by DIRTY SHOOTER View Post
                This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. If it isn't worth anything then so be it.

I believe the issue of gestation temps and pattern aberrancies is an urban myth. Even IF it IS true, it is a very, very dangerous thing to try to do on purpose. Even IF you are successful with it, lets be honest in what you got. It won't be a genetic mutation but instead a form of retardation of the development of the boa inside the mother. To what degree that retardation effects other characteristics is anybodies guess. It's just a bad idea.

Like I said, this is just my opinion. I could very well be wrong.
                My thing is how could people prove that it was because of a temp change I'm just wondering where this idea/myth come from.
                And I deffinately don't think people should ever try it as practice like stated
                it wouldn't be genetic so it would be worthless other then just one neat looking snake possibly.

Comment

Originally posted by Boa Amarali View Post
                  Those are Salmon Boas ? Man they are beautiful but show more
                  Hypo Characteristics than Salmon IMO

That male is wicked , looks like a Hypo or Salmon Jungle.

There are some threads discussing this exact topic of aberrant patterned Boas

Here is a good thread about the subject

How about a little controversy? - Click here

How did I know that would be posted by Jeff...!!!

Comment

I suppose I won’t know much myself until I grow these guys up and breed them myself. I don’t know a ton of info on the parents here. The litter that gave off my jungle like female was an aberrant super salmon male bred to a high red normal female. The litter consisted of high red salmons with various degrees of aberrancy on the salmons and the normal babies (from what I can tell from photos anyway). The litter that produced the male was the same aberrant super salmon male bred to a striped salmon female het anery. The litter also had various degrees of aberrant pattern with striping. Also, there aren’t any abnormal behaviors in either one of these two.

So yes, these are salmons. I know the sire male was a top graded import from Riche Ihle (I’m in Canada). I'm thinking they will get some more typical coloration with the next sheds, and I believe the male is het anery resulting in the washed out coloration.

Thanks for all the info, it's quite the interesting read. I've only heard a little bit on proven genetic lines, looks like ill be searching the forums some more, i'm quite glad I joined. Seems like quite the debated subject! I didn’t know much about it when I got them, just loved how they looked and really liked what the breeder was producing that year.

Comment

I'm glad the info is helpful. Your pair beautiful red coloration that's for certain

While the fem is aberrant and has some "Jungle type traits"

The male is the one that looks more like a Jungle to me

I've seen several Salmon Jungles with that same "X" type pattern

Here's a Salmon 25% Guyanan Jungle (P.Rothenbach) that's kind of similar

That's some cool stuff you have , they look like they
                      come from Bigg Mike's Abbey Line

Mike @ Basicallyboas
                      Last edited by Boa Amarali; 01-02-2010, 09:31 PM.

Lar M
                      Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

so... not to get of track... but is it true that the temp can have a say in the out come of male versus female???

Sorry to get off track, just being curious cuz I have heard this with Leopord Geckos

Comment

Working...
                        X