What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think?

Ok so I just got a surinam female and an anatheristic male, when i breed them what will i get, and how good will they look?

PS: im sure i spelt surinam and anatheristic wrong lol.

Re: What do you think?

Anerythristic is a recessive trait, so breeding it with anything that does not itself carry the anery gene will result in no visual anerys, although all of the resulting offspring will be carriers for said gene.

As for the Suriname, what you have there is a beautiful locality boa with its own unique characteristics which is actually from a different subspecies (Boa Constrictor Constrictor vs Boa Constrictor Imperator). Much debate abounds about mixing localities, and indeed the BCC has potential to impart a bit of their pattern and color into whatever you mix them with.

So your pairing would produce 50% BCC 50% BCI normally colored het anery boa. If those offspring were bred together (or back to the father), you would potentially have anerythristic boas with some Suri influence. Personally, I think it would be a shame to produce a Suriname with no red because it's their intense red tails that earned them the title "true red tails".

This is all personal speculation, but I would think it more prudent to get a nice looking male Suri for the female and something that jives with the anery for the anery. If you had a hypo het anery or a ghost, you could produce ghost boas. You could get a jungle het anery and make some anery jungles. There are a lot of possibilities, but the combination you proposed wouldn't really bring out the best in both snakes.
    sigpic

Comment

i am ok with bcc x bci breed BUT there is no reason to breed a suri into an anery the only reason anyone breeds BCC boas into projects is to increase tail coloration and seeing as how anery reduces all *RED* i dont think there would be ANY market for a bcc anery

does that makes sense ?

**my bad lol

Comment

Ok thanks guys, so I would be better off breeding her to my normal, or my salmon double het sunglow? what would a surinam and my salmon (double het sunglow) make?

Comment

yeah for sure dont put an anery on a suri! their tails are the best feature, but their super clean saddles are also very nice. It would be a shame to remove that lovely red.

Comment

Your question was " What do you think? "

Well honestly what I think is this.

If you don't know what you get when you breed this with that or that with something else

I don't believe you've done enough research to understand enough to start breeding Boas !

Breeding Boas is a big responisiblity ! We already have markets flooded with
            average Boas and people producing /selling Boas that
            they don't hardly know what they are

How are you going to explain what you produced to a customer ,
            when you don't even understand yourself ?

Slow down, learn some stuff then maybe think about breeding Boas

Hopefully the Boas you acquired are young still

This will give you time to learn

That's what I think !!!!!

Congratulations on your new Boas ,

share some pictures when you can

Lar M
            Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Opazo View Post
              Ok thanks guys, so I would be better off breeding her to my normal, or my salmon double het sunglow? what would a surinam and my salmon (double het sunglow) make?
              you would get 1/2 hypos 50% suri 50% het albino and 1/2 normals 50% suri 50% het albino

but read larrys post and really think about it because he is very right

Comment

Originally posted by MSwift
                and seeing as how anery reduces all black i dont think there would be ANY market for a bcc anery

does that makes sense ?
                Mike u meant reduces RED right. Hypos reduce black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Between Larry and Linda I think they pretty much covered all the bases - or at least pointed you in the right direction. IMHO, boa breeding questions like these are kinda like an accountant asking a General Contractor if he can build a house out of toothpicks. It seems like a good idea, but only because the accountant lacks a LOT of the knowledge necessary to even understand his own question. Not that an accountant can't become a GC, but it takes time and effort.

Lacking knowledge is not a bad thing - everyone lacks knowledge about something. Making uninformed decisions based on that lack of knowledge can be a bad thing depending on the consequences of your decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Atrayu View Post
                    Mike u meant reduces RED right. Hypos reduce black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    i edited it it was late my fault lol good looking out steveo

Comment

ive breed boas before, but mostly retics and burms. I do understand the difficulties of breeding i was just wondering what my outcome would be. But thanks for the info guys i appreciate it =)

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Opazo View Post
                        ive breed boas before, but mostly retics and burms. I do understand the difficulties of breeding i was just wondering what my outcome would be. But thanks for the info guys i appreciate it =)
                        Then you are aware of my point.

Plus if you've bred Retics you probably understand Dominant , CoDom and Recessive traits

Here is a good thread to help guide you , and you might find it helpful

What do you get when you breed what with what... - Click here

The only problem with that thread is that it does not list

Dominant , CoDom and Recessive for each of the Traits listed

Lar M
                        Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

cool thanks

Comment

I'd have to agree with Larry. If people are on here asking about breeding their boas but don't have the genetics figured out yet then I think they really aren't prepared to be breeders just yet.

I'm not just directing this response to the original poster, but we get a lot of questions from would be breeders asking what they should pair up and they don't understand the genetics of boas. Take time to learn more about boas and general care for your snakes first. Make sure you are providing the snakes you have with proper care and housing before starting any breeding projects and make sure you can house and care for any future babies. If you have to ask others what you have produced then you are not ready to inform a customer on what they are purchasing, you don't want to sell a boa to a customer and it not be what you have told them it was (example would be het for a trait or specific strain). You could ruin your reputation very early on if you aren't ready to breed and sell your boas.

This forum is full of good advise and great people so don't be afraid to ask questions, no one will flame you on here. I know you say you have kept and bred other snakes and that is good and you may be looking into the distant future, just make sure you are ready to take care of what you produce.

Comment

Working...
                            X