Opinions on what to breed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on what to breed

Just looking for opinions on what to breed a Male Snow to. Looking for ideas on what kind of female to get in an effort to produce some extremely nice looking boas and even possibly some new kind of morph. I'm going to try and locate a female in the next few weeks so I'm trying to decide exactly what I want.

Re: Opinions on what to breed

That is a wide open question. It all depends on what you want. Do you like Motleys, Jungles, Moonglows. It all depends upon you. These are tough questions to answer because we all have our own personal opinions on likes and dislikes. Ultimately, it is your decision.

Tim

http://www.facebook.com/BoidsOhio?bookmark_t=page

Comment

I understand it's my decision. I'd just like to hear other people's opinions as well. Quite frankly I like motleys, jungles, moonglows, sunglows, etc... I like them all. That's part of the problem I like most every morph so I can't really decide which I like best. The snow morph is by far my favorite which is why I'm trying to find something to breed with it. Out of the other morphs I don't exactly have a favorite I just like them all for their own reasons. And also I can't afford a Marron or especially that crazy awesome Scoria boa I saw lol.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonboas View Post
        And also I can't afford a Marron or especially that crazy awesome Scoria boa I saw lol.
        Not many of us can. I try for a moonglow personally.

Tim

http://www.facebook.com/BoidsOhio?bookmark_t=page

Comment

I am no where near advanced enough in my genetics to be of much help but I am interested to see what other have to share AND to see what your final choice ends up being =)

Comment

Me too lol. I was thinking about maybe getting a motley and trying to breed snow motleys but that was just one idea so i wanted more ideas to toss around before i make my final decision. Also once I get him in I'll post pictures of him. Wont be till I'm home for spring break though.

Comment

If you want snow motley's you would have to get a motley het albino, het anery because a snow is a anery albino. Both traits are recessive so if only one parent is offering the genes, you won't get any visual offspring. If you want to get sunglows and moonglows out of the mix, you'd need a hypo motley het albino het anery, which I'm not sure exist yet. I've see hypo motley's but they are few and far between.

Comment

since a snow is both albino and anery I would want to pass on those genes, not sure on you price range, and the availability of certain combos... but I would probably do a dble het anery and albino, then maybe hypo and a pattern morph such as motley, jungle, aztech or arabesque, they would be labeled as such.
                Motley triple her moonglow
                jungle triple het moonglow
                aztech triple het moonglow and
                Arabesque tripple het moonglow
                Good luck and let us know what you decide, and maybe post some picks of your snow!

Comment

Originally posted by AmayaSerafina View Post
                  If you want snow motley's you would have to get a motley het albino, het anery because a snow is a anery albino. Both traits are recessive so if only one parent is offering the genes, you won't get any visual offspring. If you want to get sunglows and moonglows out of the mix, you'd need a hypo motley het albino het anery, which I'm not sure exist yet. I've see hypo motley's but they are few and far between.
                  honestly there are plenty of hypo motleys on the market... but to find them het for albino is another story...
                  sorry I'm on kingsnake and fauna like everyday just browsing

Comment

I'd go with moonglow but, that just me because there's nothing better then a white boa! LOVE them!

Comment

If you get a Motley that is het for both Anery and Albino this gives you 1 chance in 8 of producing a Snow Motley.

Motley DH Snow - FaunaClassifieds

Homozygous Albino, Homozygous Anery,
                      x
                      Het. Motley, Het. Albino, Het. Anery,

12.5% Het. Albino, Het. Anery,
                      12.5% Het. Albino, Homozygous Anery,
                      12.5% Homozygous Albino, Het. Anery,
                      12.5% Homozygous Albino, Homozygous Anery,
                      12.5% Het. Motley, Het. Albino, Het. Anery,
                      12.5% Het. Motley, Het. Albino, Homozygous Anery,
                      12.5% Het. Motley, Homozygous Albino, Het. Anery,
                      12.5% Het. Motley, Homozygous Albino, Homozygous Anery,

Comment

I think a big thing you really need to think about is how long do you want it to take to get where you finally want to be.
                        Take motley snow. As stated you need a motley to go with your snow which will be 50% motley het snow which then could be bread back to your male which being you need a female from the litter so you are looking at 3 years minimum after your first litter. Where as if you spend a lot more and get a motley het for snow you are already there. Price plays a huge roll in where you want to be and how long it takes you to get there. If you have the money you can skip many steps.
                        This question is really impossible to answer. because the snow can take you in terrific directions but it is a direction of a 360 you name it, then it can help you get there.
                        Another thing you will find is that no matter where you want to go then most likely unless you set your mind on it then you will probably change your mind. I have a notebook of future breedings that take me to 15 years to get where I want with just what I have and already and beginning to detour from that just becuase of what I see producing around me and absolutely love.
                        So what you are looking at right now in your situation is what I like to call your base project, pretty much what everything else will base off of. So What I did in mine was make my first litters as wide open to variety as I could and put some tripple hets to dbl hets and ghost het alb. to het albinos and you will see with just two breedings you have covered a mass majority of color morphs to build from and your snow is a great step for a base breeding.
                        If you are not sure on that absolute I have to have boa then start wide and work your way to what you want.
                        Becuase do remember if no one were to buy these boas you will have to live with them so make it something special that you wouldn't mind taking care of for the rest of there lives.

Comment

Originally posted by snake77 View Post
                          I think a big thing you really need to think about is how long do you want it to take to get where you finally want to be.
                          Right now I'm not really concerned about the time frame. I'm in college right now with about another 2 1/2 years in undergrad and then another 4 years of med school when I'm done with that. I picked up a ball python last September from a lady here on campus that took absolutely ****ty care of him and said he hadn't eaten in about 11 months so I nursed him back to health. Then over christmas I got a baby red tail and fell in love with them. So more or less I'm just wanting something that i truly enjoy to occupy my time and if I happen to make some decent money while I'm in school than of course I wont be upset about it lol. I really fell in love with the snow's so I knew I wanted to start somewhere around that. After reading some of the posts above I'm beginning to realize that I didn't fully understand how much of a role the het genes were playing in the breeding. I'm not a genetics major lol. Which brings me to another question though. Would breeding the snow male to a blood female be possible? I've read that the bloods are all dwarf boas so I wasn't sure about pairing it with a normal sized one.

Originally posted by snake77 View Post
                          If you have the money you can skip many steps.
                          I don't really have a set budget. In my head I'm kinda trying to keep this beginning project under maybe 1000-1200 give or take a few hundred of course depending on the deal.

Comment

I was thinking along the same line as Josh @judgment .

Hypo Motley het Albino het anery

HYPO MOTLEY QUAD HET - FaunaClassifieds

Snow X Hypo motley het albino het anery=

12.5% Hypo, Het. Albino, Het. Anery,
                            12.5% Ghost Het. Albino
                            12.5% Sunglow, Het. Anery,
                            12.5% Moonglow
                            12.5% Motley, Het. Albino, Het. Anery,
                            12.5% Motley Anery, Het. Albino,
                            12.5% Motley Albino, Het. Anery,
                            12.5% Motley Snow

That will give a a great investment if you wish to produce a verity of morphs in one litter.
                            all offsping will show either Hypo or Motley, they will eithger express the the other traits or be het for it

Comment

After reading this thread and doing about 7 hours of genetics research making my brain hurt last night. I've decided I want to try and get a hypo motley het albino het anery. Although If I can't find specifically that or the ones I find are just too bloody expensive I would instead get a hypo het albino het anery. Would just lose the awesome motley pattern with that one. Or even a hypo jungle het albino het anery, but I like the motley pattern better so that will be my first choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X