X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vettestngry
    Newbie!
    • Jan 2016

Sought after genetics

I am new to breeding but not to owning red tail boas. I am looking into sought after genetics. I currently have a 2015 female ghost het for albino. I’m looking to go the moon glow direction. I would also like to experiment with some motley but have heard super motleys rarely live to adulthood. Is this an issue with 50% motley. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Richyboa72
    Snake Lover
    • Jul 2016

Sought after genetics

Most Super motleys are doomed and very rarely reach adulthood,
    As the Motley gene is a co dominant one , your snake can’t be het or (50% )for it ,it is a full motley,
    only recessive genes can be het for meaning you need both parents to be carying the recessive gene, ie albino to produce a visual
    Hope this helps
    Cheers Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Vettestngry
      Newbie!
      • Jan 2016

Re: Sought after genetics

So if I get a Motley male, none of the offspring will be visual motley if the famale is not Motley?

Comment

• Richyboa72
        Snake Lover
        • Jul 2016

Sought after genetics

No motley is co dominant gene .
        so No matter what you breed it with you will get some visual motley babies

If it’s a jungle (co Dom)female you should get motley’s,jungle motleys as well as normals and jungle babies and if you bred with a hypo (co Dom)boa you will get some hypo, hypo motleys, motleys and some normals ,
        If your motley male is carrying the albino gene and so is the female , then you should get motleys, normals , albino and albino motleys and all the non albino babies will be 66% het for albino but if the female is visual albino then the babies will 100% het for albino

there is a good morph calculator on line , that will give you a rough percentage of what you should expect from a paring
        , when I bred my motley last to a normal female, she had two motleys out the 5 babies she had, there was possibly more but 7 was slugs,
        hope this isn’t too confusing it takes some getting used too

Comment

• Vettestngry
          Newbie!
          • Jan 2016

Thank you Richyboa72. I appreciate the input. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to make a litter that had negative effects from the motley genes.

Comment

• Richyboa72
            Snake Lover
            • Jul 2016

That’s fine, it is really confusing till you get your head round it,
            Good luck with your project and don’t forget to post some pics on here

Comment

Working...