Fits Of Rage!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fits Of Rage!!!!!

I went to take a few pics of Whoodini my Ivory Anery today because he was looking extremely light. After getting him out of his cage and in the living room he went crazy for lack of a better word, he started lunging at me mouth wide open. He had never struck at me untill today, he has bitten me but never struck. Today he struck at me at least 10 times in less than a few minutes while I was trying to get him off the floor and put back up. I have recently switched his feeding schedule from every seven to ten days to every fourteen days could this have anything to do with him being in a pissy mood. If I cant find some way to calm this guy down I may be forced to get rid of him and I do not want to have to do that. Please any advice on what might could have caused this fit of rage or any ways to try and calm him down would be appreciated.

P.S. I know its not really a fit of rage but a defensive reaction but I cant figure out what caused him to get so defensive, I wasnt handling him any differently than in the past.
    Last edited by FreakOfNature; 10-30-2005, 02:08 PM.

Re: Fits Of Rage!!!!!

I had one of my boas do the same thing. Turned out that he had a RI (respitory infection). Often boas will get that way when they are sick or have something wrong with them. It also might be because he is close to going in to a ahed cycle. That is about all the info that I have to offer. Mabey someone else will jump in and have something more to offer.

TAT

Comment

He has no symptoms of a R.I. and he just shed last week.

Comment

it could be something as subtle as some movement you made that he didnt like...

something threw him on the defensive..I wouldnt worry unless it persists

Comment

I figure I will give him a couple of days to calm down and then I will try to handle him again and see how he reacts. I guess It could have been some kind of movement or something I did that he took as a threat.

Comment

Some boas just have bad days. I've had some do the samething this is no reason to get rid of your boa. Just give him a day or two to himself. I have male boas get crazy doing breeding season completely docile for months to years and than one day BAM!! Last season one male after breeding the female turn residential evil for a week. I'm not saying that breedable male turn violent during breeding season, these example are from my animals but they do allow me to hold them after there issue has been resolved.
            Last edited by HAWK; 10-30-2005, 06:19 PM.
            2nd Alarm Reptiles
            Pastels "R" Us
            http://2ndalarmreptiles.com

Viiper (Virginians Interested In Protecting Every Reptile)

Comment

I wouldn't read too much into the behavior just yet. Sometimes they simply do not want to be bothered. One of our normally docile females did something like that when I touched her head one day. A three year old female that had never struck or bitten once in her life got all bowed up and hissy after I touched her head. In fact, after I put her back into her enclosure she coiled up and laid on her head for 2-3 hours. All I can figure is that she was in a mood that particular day because I had touched her head in the past and it didn't bother her at all.

If your boa does not appear ill, I would just give her a day or two to chill and check on her then.

Denny

Comment

I know this is no reason to get rid of him but my wife wont feel comfortable with me having him around if I cant get him to calm down some. This is by far the worst reaction Ive ever had from him but he has been getting very moody latley. Could it have something to do with it being breeding season?I have found some sperm plugs in his water bowl the last few times Ive cleaned out his enclosure. Maybe he's just sexually frustrated lol.

Comment

was he on the floor? my boa seems to feel more vulnerable, maybe thinks shes gonna be steped on...

Comment

Originally posted by jad83
                    was he on the floor? my boa seems to feel more vulnerable, maybe thinks shes gonna be steped on...
                    Yea he was on the floor so I think it might have had something to do with it. He might have took it as a threat when I stood over him to try and get a overhead pic. I dont blame him at all Im sure he must have felt I was a threat and he was more than ready to protect himself. The only reason I said anything about maybe having to get rid of him is my wife saw this temper tantrum and it really freaked her out.

Comment

Working...
                    X