This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about lighting

what can i use for lighting at night.... a black light ? red light ?
    wasnt sure what i could use not to stress him

tia,
    Bill

Re:question about lighting

They sell two different types of bulbs. The sell a night light wich puts off like a purple color like a black light.(It doesnt illuminate things like a black light though.) and theres another one that is a red light bulb wich puts off red light. These can both be purchased for anywere from $6.00 to $18.00 depending on the size of the bulb. I use the The Night-Glo purple which you can buy at petco or almost anywhere for about $7.00. My boa mitch does fine with it at night.

Comment

Red, green, or blue bulbs will work great and not disturb the photo period.

Comment

ESU Reptile Heat Basking Lamp is the best 1 to use. i use the red 1.looks cool at nite. plus petco has them on sale for 7.19 reg. price is 7.99
        http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?familyid=6176&sku=9631600404& amp;tab=5&dept_id=2548&c1=2541&c2=2548 &c3=&ct1=Heating%2C+Lighting+%26+Accessori es&ct2=Incandescent+Light+Bulbs+%26+Fixtures&a mp;ct3=

Provides a constant ambient heat source. Made from glass containing rare earth red phosphors which emit high heat at low light levels. Does not disturb animal's day/night cycles. Also allows you to enjoy nocturnal viewing without additional lighting.

Comment

Hi simplesid242002

You can use either Red light, Black or purple light or just a CHE that gives heat but no light..

hope that helps.
          Steve

Comment

I like to use the ESU nightlite , they are available from most internet suppliers and pet stores . they aren't very bright but they put off plenty of heat.

Comment

in the 11 years i have been keeping snakes i have used just about every type of light for night use. i have found with most of my snakes that they are aware of the light given off by blue and red night lights. in fact when i was using these night lights most of my snakes refused to come out of their hides at night. once i switched to heat emitters , which gives off no light, my snakes all became active at night without hesitation. so i began to experiment with night lights and heat emitters in all my cages and found that everytime i used a night light most of my snakes would remain in their hides for the night. everytime i used the heat emitter all my snakes were active at night. thus it is my conclusion that our snakes are aware of these night lights and they can interfere with our snakes much needed over night period of darkness. so i recommend and will never use anything other than a heat emitter in all my cages. the bottom line is that you should use what works for you and your snake.

Comment

thanx for all the input... i currently use a CHE... ill try some different lights out and see what happens.
                again thanx
                Bill

Comment

If you are currently using a CHE I would not ever switch back to the bulb products.. I have always stated that boa constrictors need a "night" time.. They need dark. Several years ago, I tried every light source known to man, to see which ones would be the best for a night time heat source. But I, like Damian, found my boas still hiding out in their hideaways, especially at night. But since I started using products like CHE's and heat tape, I have noticed that the boas are extremely active at night, coming out of their hideaways and exploring. Since then I have not used any type of heat light (bulb). Also I have not ever provided any kind of artificial light source for my boas. I believe one of the 2 big reasons captive boas are under too much stress is because too many of our boas are exposed to light sources 24X7.. Whether natural, or white, red, blue etc etc. boas can definately "see" these light sources regardless of color. The other major stress related issue would be incorrect temperature gradients.

You want a light source to show off that beautiful boa, then use the best light source you can find for your enclosure and let it shine... BUT please make sure that at night you are able to turn OFF that light source, and if you need to provide a heat source that can stay on 24X7 then stick with the CHE.. or heat tape products.

That's what I have seen and that's why I don't own or use a single heat bulb type product in any of my enclosures. Yet I do still use CHE's in certain situations where I have yet to replace them with flex watt heat tape.
                  To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
                  -Clay English
                  Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Light at Nite??

Hey, my question pertains to this thread. I use a CHE and a big strip light during the day, but at night I just turn off the strip light and keep the CHE going. Do Boas need absolute dark during the night? Can they see where they are going? I dont get home from work until 2AM so sometimes I leave the TV on from when I get home till the sun comes up...Is this effecting them? Thanks for the help!

Comment

Again,

The light source is for us humans only;D

The boas certainly do not need it. Turn off the TV as well at night. The boas are extremely well prepared for nighttime. Don't worry about them.
                      To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
                      -Clay English
                      Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

HI,
                        Most of my boa's are stressed by light so I leave them pretty much alone in a dimly lit room, if I turn a light on they may hide. I think a window with a shade for that light stimulation for breeding purposes is more than adequate. Lights are just a fire hazard/ possibly burn the reptile owner, and I once set a hot light on a PC printer and it melted. if you need a light I would use that esu floresent.cool light no heat spikes in the cage..
                        I use uth, che's enclosed in a cage , and some over head heat mats. all tied into thermostat all contained in the cage.
                        I have very little ventilation in my cage or I lose that humidity. They get plenty air thru small vents provided and the sliding glass doors..

ps be sure your window has shades I once had a tank jump 10deg up in mins when I opened the shades and the light shined into the cage this was in the fall so I was surprised by the heat , it took only mins.. Be sure sunlight dosen't shin in the cage or it may fry your snakes brain. them daily temp spikes are not good. sunrise sunset,, :P Doug

psps I have read post about bulbs poping and glass falling in the cage.. not good, maybe the snake was playing in the water dish or fell inand spalshed the bulb .. I caught my young hog today playing in the water dish water on the floor... messsy messy hehe

Comment

My boa and ball are kept in my bedroom (my wife is very understanding). The only light they get is the same light we are getting, windows during the day and TV and lights at night until we turn in. They both get very active every evening, long before we turn off the lights and TV. THey have adapted quite nicely to our habits (now if only we can get our kids to do the same thing ???

Larry
                          Waynesboro, VA

Comment

Working...
                          X