X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosy Boa

Hey everyone,

Well, I have rescued yet another snake, this time it is a Rosy Boa. My question is this: What is the best substrate I should use for this little guy? The previous owner had it on Calci Sand, but I looked up a care sheet on the web and they suggest Aspen Mulch. They also say to stay away from indoor/outdoor carpet. I just want the best substrate for the guy. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, especially if anyone has one of these beauty's!!

I rescued him because the last guy that owned it just dropped it off at a pet store that I frequent and they didn't want it. It apparently won't eat on it's own and was being force fed for the past 2 months. It looks to be in great shape, active, no scars/wounds, and it is only about 14 inches long. Not sure on the sex. I will get some pics of it up as soon as I can get my hands on a digi cam again.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Re:Rosy Boa

Hey Jeff,

Cool another snake..

Rosy's are pretty fun snakes, they don't get big, but their skin is like silk. Every one I have dealt with I kept on either Cyprus mutch or reptile litter (wood chips). Never a problem.. I do know the last one I took in was a problem feeder for the pet shop, but once he was setup with a place to hide, he was fine, never refused food..

Good luck with him.
    Steve

Comment

Thanks for the info Steve, I hope this guy will enjoy his new home and start to eat on his own!! :-\ We'll see how it goes.

Jeff

Comment

They really are neat little boas. The first one I dealt with, I was told they are very nippy, never had one nip at me yet. And I really love that skin they have. it is like regular soft skin, can't even feel the scales.. The ones I have dealt with were mexican rosy boas..

Great Luck with him.
        Steve

Comment

They are very pretty!!! I saw one the other day I thought about picking up, but decided against it. Congrats on the new addition. They are very pretty boas.

Comment

I have one it is the only mean snake I have.. Very uncommon in rosy;s.. Well you want to have a basic heat of 87-90 for a hot spot and a range of 75-82 for the cool side...
            They need a lil' smaller prey then a boa of equil size and mine likes to be fed often.. other wise he bites all the time... I feed pinkys two to three times a week and fuzzys every five days... My snake is eating fuzzys right now so I don't know about anything bigger...
            Give them some substrate that they can dig into.. I would not use cypress inless it is real dryed out... don't give these boas alot of humidity... 65% durning shed and 45% or lower the rest of the time... If you give this snake alot of hides it will use them.. It also reduces stress....
            The poop comes a lil' runnyer then other boas... and it comes just about as often...
            Well tell me if you need more info...
            Eric aka....red

Comment

Red,

Hey man, appreciate your help and the information. I just found a site/forum specific to Rosy's. Some pretty good info, same as what you gave. I pick up the boa later today, so he will have a good home from now on and will hopefully start eating on his own after he adjusts.

Jeff

Comment

Rosy boas .com I presume...
                Ya' that is where I got the info...
                Eric aka....Red

Comment

Yeah that's it. The site if very helpful, but their forum is a skeleton in the grave. The last post was over 2 months old!! How are you supposed to get help that way? Post a question and hope someone answers before the end of the year? ;D We'll see how things go.

Jeff

Comment

Ya' I don't go to the forum... The care sheets and stuff are nice.. I think I was the last person to post... hehe...
                    The guy that runs the forum will answer your post I think.... ???
                    Eric aka....Red

Comment

I just went to the pet store and noticed they still had their Rosy boa.. They have had it for 6 months, and he really is a cool little bugger.. Healthy, skin is great, he just shed. The owner notied I took him out and was playing with him. Told me if I wanted him, he would sell him for 70 to me.. Got too much going on, so I passed. If any ones does want him for 70, let me know. Please don't think this guy needs to be rescued. He is in a 20 gallon tank and is well cared for. Its a Mexican Rpsy, light brown with choclate brown stripes.. Super nice little guy..

Steve

Comment

They are cool little snakes, the one I just rescued is a Mexican Rosy. It has dark brown stripes that are fairly wide, still working on the digi cam for pics to post.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                        X