This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions upon questions

ok, now that i have my boa (halo is it's name) all set up in it's enclosure, i have a few questions. right now he's in an old ten gallon i had fish in when i was much younger. in a few months i'll be buying a much much larger one but for now it's all i got.right now i'm useing paper towel as the substrate. there is a under tank heater under half the tank and above that is a blue 50 watt bulb in a dome lamp that sits on the screen above the warm side. the warm side is at about 86 degrees, and the cool side is at about 78. there is a small hide box on both sides, a water dish for it to soak in on the cool side, and a smaller dish on the warm side to add humidity. i'm buying humidity gauges today so i'll know what that is soon. i also bought a bleached peice of driftwood with a few small protruding branches on it from the exotic pet shop that he likes to hide under and clime around on. he seems to be spending most of his time on the cool side of the cage. so, now the questions. is the temp ok? if not, how can a raise or lower it? and do i have the tank set up ok? if not, what do i add or take out? is the substrate ok? if not, what do i change it to? i'm just worried too much i guess, i just hope i'm doing something wrong and i want my boa to be happy and healthy. thx for any help, it's much appreciated. peace

Re:questions upon questions

HI
    we love your question on the forum, here's something you can use at your leisure you could print it, or you can down load it to your home pc to review off line.
    This care sheet is better than any book or video..
    Here's a hyper link be sure and thank Clay he put some hours in it. Best care sheets>>>>>>>>
    http://www.redtailboas.com/general_c...eral_care.html

if you are having trouble downloading or printing go to the care sheets and add it to your favorites. 99 % of all post are answered in the care sheets.
    psps after you review the care sheets you can visit my photo's
    hehe doug's Kids
    http://www.redtailboas.com/gallery/doug01?&page=1

Comment

The 10 gal tank is to small for even a babu boa. The reason is you can't keep the temp's right.
      The reason your boa is staying on the cool side is because it is to hot most likely. Also have you checke dthe temp at the floor on the side with the UTH. Do you have your UTH hooked up to a thermostat? If not I will bet that you floor temp is over 100 witch is really bad.
      If I were you I would go and get a bigger cage. You can get a 20 gal long for around 30 to 45 this should last youo a year depending on how you feed. I personaly have the boaphlie's a little pricey but it is the last cage you will ever have to buy. Here is the link www.theboaphile.com I would go for one of these cages ASAP I hate a glass cage verey hard to get things right in one. It took me almost a month to get things just right with my first cage. If you have anymore questions don't be scared to ask thats what were are here for.

TAT

Comment

also something to look at is how thick is your substrate ?
        are you just using 1 paper towel ? if so you might want to try using few layers of news paper. but it does seem like its to hot for your boa. whats your temp w/o the lamp ? you might be fine w/ just the uth since its a small tank.

Comment

Hi StarBomb....
          For substrate I use indoor outdoor carpet. If you don't mind spending the money you can get like 12x12 feet of the stuff for $20 at home depot. And 12 feet would last you a long time.
          And it kinda sounds like you have quite a lot in there for a little 10 gal.
          As for your snake hanging out on the cool side, one of mine does the same thing. So I have her temp just a little lower than at first, it's at 84 degree's with a UTH. (thats on the warm side) Where as my bigger RTB who is comfortable at 92 degrees. Like you, I am a newbie, so if I got anything wrong I hope someone would correct me. But this seems to work just fine for me and my redtails. Hope I at least helped a little. :P

Comment

thanx everyone for your help, i tried a few of the suggestions and now the warm side is at 85-86 with the cool side at 81-82 and halo is now exploring the entire cage at his/her leisure. so for now this works, when i get the money i'm gonna order a bigger cage with heating, lighting, a rack, and thermostats all installed from boaphile. thx so much. i was trippin'. peace.

Comment

Bmoore That temp of 92 is that at he floor on the warm side or is it measured an inch or so above the floor? If it is measured above the floor you might want to measure the floor temp. You just might find that it is to hot.

TAT

Comment

As far as taking the temp of the floor. I know some might disagree, but my floor temp on the warm side is always about 90. I haven't had any problem to date..

Steve

Comment

yeah, the floor temp as of 5 min. ago is about 91, close to 92( warm side ), and on the cool side it's 82. and halo seems to be alright.

Comment

90 to 95 is great for a floor temp. I just have found that with most UTH's the floor themp can get up to 120 or so > unless you have it hooked up to a thermostat or a reostat. So just make sure that you are checking every where in the cage for the proper temp's.

TAT 8)

Comment

When I said that a floor temp of 90 to 95 was great I was talking about the warm side of the cage just to make things a little more clear.

Have a great day ;D

Comment

Hey Tatdaddy,

The biggest problem with UTH's is most try to self adjust about 20 degree's warmer then the current air in the tank. That is why it is suggested that you either put a reostat on the line or make sure the heater isn't making direct contact with the glass. I have used a few things in between the heater and the glass when I used more tanks. One is, I would take 2, 3 pieces of newspaper folded like normal and put that down and then put my normal wood chip bedding down on top of that. Another thing that wored was 1/8 luan board. its thin enough and insulates well for that purpose. It will take longer for the heat to travel through the wood or paper, but it will prevent against burns. Until you get a solid setup, like the cage you mentioned or build your own, keep checking the temps. A 10 gallon tank is almost impossible to get a perfect temp that will stay that way. Just keep checking. Last thing you would want is a sick boa..

Good luck
                        Steve

Comment

ok, problem, all of sudden the temp on the hot side is increasing, slowly, but enough that i have to keep putting more newspaper down to keep it where it should be. and poor halo is probably scared stiff from all the moveing around and me going in and out of his cage every 30 min, and the last thing i want to do is stress her out, anyone have any suggestions. i need to fix this so my boa can be happy and healthy instead of stressed and scared. i feel like i'm torturing her...

Comment

Hey StarBomb,

Hate to be right, but I thought that might happen.. OK, quick temp fix would be to use a piece of cardboard on the inside of the tank to insulate the heat source.. Long term fix would be to go to your local hardware or home store and pick up a dimmer switch. Do yourself a favor, don't try to save 2 bucks and get the cheapest one they make.. Go for atleast a midrange priced one. Levertron makes pretty good ones. Now if your good with electrical, just splice that into the wire and use it to control the amount of power going to the heat pad. Works the same way you would control how bright your light would get with a dimmer. Just make sure you either hook it up right, or have someone help you. A suggestion that might work, if you go to a Lowe's or Home Depot you could just bring in the heater and ask them to show you how to hook it up. And make sure if you are going to have the dimmer just hanging there, that you insulate all wires and contacts so you do get shocks.. Good old electrical tape works wonders..

Hope that helped, and good luck
                            Steve

Comment

thank you, thank you, i'll do it and see what happens

Comment

Working...
                              X