X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inherited Boas

Hello,

I have a "friend" that left his two boas in my care for a few months. However I have had them for 5 months and my "friend" now lives in Alaska and is not coming back to retrieve his pets and I am not the owner. However I am not sure if I want to keep them. The cage is a wood structure with a removable divider to seperate the male & female. I know my friend has had some sucess breading these two boas. The female has had two pregnancies, the first babies were born dead, but the second brood were alive. When he left them with me, he said he thought the female was gravid, but I am not sure. She is about 6 ft long and very fat and much darker than the male, but she does not have any bulges. She is pretty much fat through her whole mid-section. I have the cage on back porch and in the late afternoon I know the temp get up near 100. I cannot put them in my house because the cage stinks no matter how much I clean it. So, I would really like to pass them on to someone who could take better care of them. Do you have any ideas or suggestions. Should I be trying to sell them or just give them away.

Re:inherited Boas

Hello Crod,

Welcome to the forums..I do understand your situation. It happens more then you know. I am sure myself and alot of the members on this forum will be glad to help you resetup the cage so you can bring it in. It sounds to me like the cage was not sealed and the fecal mater and uriates have soaked into the wood and are causing the smell. To be honest there is no real way you can clean it 100%, but if you had two rubbermaid containers you could put the boas in for a few hours in door where they will not over heat, you could try using a 50/50 mix of bleach and water and scrub the cage out, but you will need to make sure the cage is 100% clean before you put the snakes back in. Bleach can hurt the boas if it is wet. As for if it is Gravid, It would be thick in its middle. Do you see her laying her middle on the side from time to time. That can be one way to tell if she may be gravid.

As for selling of giving the boas away. Here is the problem. Since you came here I will assume you do care that the boas get a good home. Boa's are available for free or small adoption fee's through several rescues. With adult boas, there are a ton for free or real cheap, just check the other forums.. The 100 degree temp in a cage outside can be real bad for the boas. Please try to take them inside.

If you are interested, I do a local rescue here in NY. The snakes that come in are 100% checked out and treated if need be. And then I find them good perment homes when they are 100%. Some end up staying with me for good. But that is done on a case by case. If you are interested I can talk you through how to package them for safe shipping and give you my account number to ship them to me at no cost to you..

Like I said if you choose to keep them, myself and many others will be glad to help you with information. If not I would be glad to take your two boas in. At present I have several open cages, so housing them would not be a problem..

I will email you..
    Steve Clark

Comment

I dont know where you are but I would also be interested in taking them myself, or at a minimum providing them with a place until they could be placed in a permanent home. I could also assist in a "boa" brigade to help get them to a new home elsewhere in the country.

Please do not turn them in to a pet shop as they will more likely be sold off to someone that does not have the experience of capabilities of taking care of them properly. Pretty much anyone here on this site or at reptilehaven.net would be a good choice for a new home though.

Comment

Hi,Crod,
        If you live within a reasonable driving distance , my wife and I would be glad to care for and find a good home for these orphans you have on your hands.
        I have seen, way too many animals mistreated. We would also be glad to give any advice we can to help you care for the boas.
        PLEASE, don't hesitate to ask anything you might need to know, to help you make a decision that is best for , both you and the snakes.

Comment

Hey Guys,

An update on Crods Boas. She is sending them to me Monday. They will have a safe and good home and get any treatment they might need.. I will keep everyone posted on how they are doing. I should have the Tuesday..

Steve

Comment

GREAT!!!!
            We all know that you'll make sure they get good care.
            Let us know how they are doing, if you would.

Comment

Count on it SnakeDan.. I still have no clue what they look like or what kind they are.. Really didn't care. Just want to make sure these guys get a good home..

Also have to give Cudo's to CROD. She was more interested in the snakes having a good home and proper care then anything else. I know when she is in a better position she will make a great snake owner..

Steve

Comment

steve keep us updated..ooh yea post pics ;D

Comment

Glad to hear they are going to a good home. stormy keep us updated with their condition and how things work out. Good luck.

Comment

wohoooo,
                    I am happy for the Boa's Good job to all ...
                    Thanks Again.
                    Doug

Comment

Thank you to everyone who responded to my posting and thank you Steve for taking my boas. I am so greatfull that this forum exist and I was able to get help. Keep up the great work guys! Thank you all!

Crod
                      Christine Rodriguez

Comment

Hey Crod,

The cages are all setup for the boas. The girl should enjoy her new 4 foot long by 2 foot wide, by two foot high cage. I will be putting a nice hide in for her tomorrow. The male will be going into a 4 foot x 18 inch by 18 inch cage for the first week. Then into the 4x2x2 cage I starting on yesterday. I will keep you and the others here posted on how they do and some pics..

Steve

Comment

Hey all,

Just to let those concerned, the two boas arrived and are now hanging out in their new home. Will keep everyone posted on how they are doing.

Steve

Comment

sclark post some pics of the beauties so we can see them to!!!lol quit being selfish over there with those snakes u just got!!! lol j/k i know u will post a pic of them when they settle down.

Comment

Hey anthrax,

I will snap some pics in the next 24 hours. I do that with all my rescues now so i can keep any potential problems on file and what treatments worked.. Tonight they both get a good soak. The male need some fluids. Keep ya posted..

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X