X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding Question: Dumerils Does Not Want To Eat

I need some ideas....
    Last night made week #4 and my 14" Dumerils still has not eaten... it came to me as a non-feeder but I figured that putting in the correct environment and type of enclosure with hides, proper temps and humidity, and a good substrate that it would come around and start eating.
    -Caging: Glass Aquarium w/ Screen Top (Covered on three sides) placed in a very low traffic area
    -Substrate: Cypress Mulch, but has not tried to burrow
    -Hides: One on hot side, one on cool side, and lots of leafy artificial plants to hide under.
    -Lighting: 12-14 hour day/night cycle
    -Temps: 90-92° basking spot, 88-89° ambient hot side, 80-82° ambient cool side
    -Humidity: 50-55% humidity (drops to 45% in the late afternoon after the heat lamp has been on it all day)

The snake spends most of it's time in the hide on the cool side but does cruise the cage frequently and spends some time hiding under the fake ivy vine with only the tip of his nose poking out of it.

I have not handled it at all in the 4 weeks it has been here other than about every once every ten days for about ten seconds to check for mites and general condition.

Weeks 1,2, and 3 he was offered f/t rat pups that I placed in the cage and left overnight.
    Week 4 (This week) offered live rat pup in the cage. (Dropped it in near it's hide and left it, then covered the tank)

I am at a loss.... I have read.... researched.... studied... .what in the world am I missing?
    Next week I think that I will try an anole and see if that works.

Any other ideas????

Re:Feeding Question: Dumerils Does Not Want To Eat

Seems like you have everything correct stormy. Have you tried often different prey items besides rats. Maybe mice or something other to see if he will take.

Comment

:-\ Yeah i think befour offering a anole i would try mice few times.. Have ya tried a gerbil pup just weaned??

Comment

I have a frozen small adult mouse in the freezer. I will give that a shot and see how it goes.
        Isnt it amazing how sometimes we dont notice the most obvious things
        Hopefully it will eat that!

Comment

Hey Stormyva,

Sounds like you have tried alot of things.. Let me suggest something that hasn't been said..

When the evening comes, after it has gotten semi dark. Take the snake and soak him for atleast 20 mins. After the soak, take him out, dry him up abit, and hold him for about 10 mins.. Then put him into a warm, not hot feed tank. Take the warm defrosted mouse and dangle it in front of him. See if he takes it. If not, now this part is gonna sound odd if you never did it. But take the mouse and start smacking the mouse in the nose of the snake to get him a bit mad. You won't hurt him, so don't worry about that. Keep smacking him to get him to strike it and get his blood moving. If things work the way I think your snake will grab it and will wrap it up.. When he does that, reach in with your tweezers or forcepts and shake the mouse a little to he wraps tighter and bites deeper. Then cover the feed bin fully so not light can get in and leave him alone for an hour..

Give it a shot, it has worked great for me with alot of non-feeding rescues I have gooten in. After one or two times he will be a pig if all goes well..

Good luck and keep us posted.
          Steve

Comment

Stormyva something else you might want to keep in mind is not feeding him in his cage. becuase if you keep doing that and when he gets back to feeding.every time you open the cage he thinks its feeding time.and before long he will start tagging you.becuase he will think that your hand is a fat rat every time the lid opens..you can get a tupper ware storage box at wally-world (wal-mart) for like 5-10 bucks or try a shoe box or a box w/ that you can secure him in.puts some holes in the lid.also something to look at is fresh killed prey,and try what steve said..and do make sure you leave him alone for an hr or longer if ya make em mad and let em chill out before you try to handle him.hope this info helps. keep us updated ..

Comment

Don't be afraid to offer live fuzzy/hopper mice to get him started. You are obviously closely monitoring the situation, so you could offer or remove as necessary.

Dumerils are picky eaters early on sometimes. I had a trio that I sold.. The male started out very picky, but the live mice got him going. Now these mice were very small, just fuzzy or so.. But it got him going.
              To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
              -Clay English
              Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

A quick update.....
                Tried all of the above, still no luck. I was sure it would eat this week when the snake left a small "pellet' of nothing but fur in the cage. So last night I offered a live hopper mouse and it even refused that meal. Now that I have offered live and see no different results from the snake I am going to go back to F/T and continue to offer once a week. Hopefully it will eat eventually.

Gun Lover, as for feeding in totes.....
                I am the first person that will recommend to people that snakes need to be fed in separate totes. On occassion, as I have learned, there is going to be a snake that comes along that refuses to live by what we say are the ideal feeding methods. We have to adjust our rules in those situations.
                I feed 7 of our 9 snakes in feed totes, our ball python and the dumerils are the two that are fed in their cages. I agree with the theory that a snake can become aggressive with in cage feedings but I have not seen this at all in our ball python. It is still one of the most docile of the gang and is the only one that I will allow my son to reach in and get out of the cage. (with my supervision that is) Dumerils Boas, as are Ball Pythons, can be very "shy" snakes that supposedly stress out very easily especially when young. They also are ambush predators that like to strike up from a hiding spot as thier prey moves by. It is sometimes needed to simulate this natural feeding response to get young Dums started. Hence the in cage feeding and offering live food. After it is well established and eating regularly then I will try to attempt to convert it to a eating in totes.

Comment

Woo Hoooo!!!!! The Dum finally ate! I offered the live mouse to it again and it FINALLY ate! Sometimes you just have to break some rules :O

Comment

great thats wonderful i know you had to be worried i get grey hair when mine dont eat!!!!!

Comment

Hey Stormyva

That is good news... Keep trying..

Steve

Comment

Good Job. As always, live mice is a good choice on picky eaters, when closely monitored.
                        To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
                        -Clay English
                        Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

8) ;D Hey stormyva, i think thats great it ate.. way to go!!!! ;D Little Mr live mousey to the rescue.. LOL!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X