This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding Questions For Clay Or Anyone

im fixing to get ready to order a large amount of rats, but i was wondering about something first. i went back to the care guide and looked at the feeding size comapred to length. and im feeding the right size (small rats) but im feeding them once a week, the care sheet says every 2 weeks. ok heres the question. rusty is approx 10 months and 4ft and he wont eat once a week more like every 10 days. should i be feeding him on the 2 week schedule with a small rat and dusty my pretty boy hes like 13-14 months and only just at 31/2 ft and he will eat every 7 days like normal should i leave him on small rats at once a week or move him to med rats every 2 weeks. id move rusty to med rats but the small rats are almost too big for his lil tiny head. sometimes he has trouble fitting the in his mouth lol. so all you snake-perts out there give me your opinions!!!!

Re:Feeding Questions For Clay Or Anyone

Hi Redtailedmel,

Not to disagree with the feeding post you mentioned. I know some folks are big on feeding schedule's. I will say what I have always done. With baby boas upto a year old I offer food once a week. The older boas I will wait until they are active, and I wait two to three days after they become real active before i offer food. Most of mine are eating from 9 days to 20 days. I feel that giving them some time to exercise and work the muscles out. Nothing worse then a lazy fat couch potato snake..LOL

I have had no health problem with doing this for my own snakes for years.

Hope that helped..
    Steve

Comment

well steve has a good point.and i can maybe help you on the rat size.something you can look at is..say you have a baby thats on pinkies but there not enuff and fuzzies are to big for him.what you could do is give 2 of the pinkies rats instead of 1 fuzzie 1.but if your boa wants to eat every 7 days then i would keep em on that.but as steve says the older the boa gets the longer it will wait to eat.but thats my 3 cents on it.

Comment

hmm i kinda wanted to keep them on the same feed schedule it just makes life so much easier. well i dunno feeding day is sunday, so i guess we'll see how it goes i figured id see alot more posts on this by now lol anyone else out there i want everyones opinions lol

Comment

Well, the average feeding schedule for babies to juveniles is around 7-10 days. Adults tend to do well on a 10-14+ day feeding schedule.

Comment

The feeding schedule that you mention (Mine ;D) was written and specifically designed for the 1000's of people that visit my care guides that may or may not have a clue how to feed their boa constrictors. Next to the forum itself, the general care guide gets the most hits on my site. There are links from all over the web, and I show up in most major search engines. So those guides are intended for the novice.

Beginners/Inexperienced people could follow that schedule to the letter of the law and have perfectly healthy boas.

Again it is a "Guide". You really have to learn your boas best feeding schedule. I actually never expected veteran keepers to use the guide.

Personally I feed EVERY Saturday. Period. End of story. That is just a schedule that works great for me.

I feed babies - yearlings, every saturday.
            Breeding females - every other saturday
            Breeding males - one saturday a month

Yes there are special feedings, based on shipping or delivery requirements, but it does not interrupt my Saturday feedings.

Find what works best for you and your boa and use the "Guide" as a guide or a starting point.
            To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
            -Clay English
            Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

whew i was getting kinda worried i wasnt feeding them right, before we had no idea( with our first baby) and fed live and fed her till she wouldnt eat anymore sometimes she'd eat 10 mice and still want more believe me i have learned alot since then!!!!! ill just stick to feeding them like normal then they seem happy with it! THANKS CLAY and steve and all. a little reassurance was all i needed!

Comment

Redtailedmel,

Keep us posted how they are doing... I love a happy ending..LOL

Steve

Comment

lol ok well its been 10 days( sunday was) and i fed they little buggers well i started with dusty my perty boy didnt know if hed eat or not shed cycle he just came out of the blue wham he waylaid it so i thawed the very last rat i had and got rusty out he always eats no matter what( so i thought!!!!) i stuck him and the rat in the 10 gallon tank with his hide box he dont like to be looked at when he eats and a little heat mad under him. ok he doesnt touch it, checked him later still there left him over night next morn still there so i took it out lmao! so now my whole he eats no matter what just proved to be a lie i hope he wants to wait another week or 2 to eat cuz my rats arent in yet!!! lol amazing how when you talk about them they prove you wrong lol. so thats my update im just gonna keep waiting 1o days and if they eat they eat if not oh well ill wait and see when he starts crawling round looking for that tasty rat he passed up a few days before lol heheh

Comment

Working...
                  X