This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stargazing?

my young redtail is stargazing alot more than a 4fter i was sitting for someone and im woried that it might have ibd. it spends most of its time on the cool side of the tank about 80-82 degrees, the warm side is about 84-88, humidity is 50-65%. i've had the snake for about a month and wanted to know, if it had ibd would it start showing more symptoms or how long should i wait to be sure it doesnt have it so i can get another redtail for it to mingle with.

Re: stargazing?

well the cool side is pretty hot it could be he is just to hot in there couse the warm side should be around 80-84 and the cool side 75-80 so drop the cool side in the 70's

Comment

Well is it pulling its head off the ground and holding it kinda up in the air... Like it is looking into the sky...??
      If so then that is really not what stargazing is... Sounds more like may-be a repatory infection (RI) But snakes boid more then most just sit and look at one spot for no reason and somtimes I have seen them do it for hours and hours... What you have to think of is they just sit in one potion in there hide for hours, days and even weeks I could emagine months... They are just like this.. You said that you just got this snake... Do you have any other red tails....?? IBD is perty bad and you should make sure that no other boid comes in contact with this snake intell it is made sure that it does not have it....
      Make sure to dissinfect your hands every time you hold it and be carful...
      I hope this can help...
      Eric aka....Red

Comment

when a snake is star gazing it is almost in a trance. if you walk by the cage or move your hands in front of the snake, what does it do? if it immediately recognizes your movement and pulls away then the snake is not stargazing. if the snake has no reaction to your movement and remains frozen then you may have a problem.

Comment

Sometimes it sees me and moves and sometimes it doesnt seem to notice me but ill have to test that more. And have no other redtails but have a python and am very carefull not to spread disease if there is one. How can i be totally sure it doesnt have it though?

Comment

HI,
             Somtimes snakes will do this when in the feeding mode, have you seen any specks in the water dish. Many retpile experts think IBD is spread by mites in the petstores and takes months to surface in the animal.
             If you turn your boa upside down does it right it self immedately.
              Lets hope its just hungry .... They know food comes from above... IBD is a 100 % fatal condition and I would not bring any new reptiles in a home with a sick animal.
             Here's some very useful post
            http://www.anapsid.org/stargaze.html
            This one covers IBD and the DX by Vets a rather difficult condition to DX. usally done by necropsy
            http://www.anapsid.org/ibd.html
             and in closing the most important thing to remember is,,,
            Due to the increasing incidence of this disease, it cannot be stated or urged strongly enough to QUARANTINE ALL NEW BOIDS upon acquisition for at least 3-6 months, and to take precautions when visiting other collections, pet stores and expos/swaps.
             one thing I do is to clean the new snakes cage last. this prevents the risk of cross contamination from the new snake to the healthy older snakes. Spray all new snakes cage monthly for mites for a couple month's. Some of my animals have been with me for over two years, I don't want some sniffling weezin new reptile rescue to wipe out my entire collection of boa's..
            Mites and RI ar extremly common in petstore animals the cages are not adequately cleaned  and to many boa's are in the same room or even cage with pythons..
             Geeze.... Doug

Comment

yea i agree with Doug my friends boa did that all the time and he just feeds him, then he goes back into his hide-away and thats it. but if your that worried i think we told you about all that it could be try feeding him like what doug said and if he keeps doing it take him to the vet and get him checked out, hell maybe your snake is just retarded!! ;D LOL

Comment

yea doug i know what you meen i went to a pet store and they had a 4 foot rtb and a 2 foot rtb in with a 3 foot burmese and a 2 foot rock python there such idiots!!

Comment

I was in a pet store one time had to pick up some dog food. I always go to the reptile section if they have one just to check things out. Well they had a JCP like 3months old there and there was a lizard in the cage. I told one of the people that worked there and he said that it was in there for the snake to eat! I wanted to choke the s5.gif out of those people! cwm23.gif cwm23.gif cwm23.gif

Tat

Comment

OH MY GOD what the hell were they thinking?? s5.gif
                    what kind of lizard was it or how big? what idiots cwm23.gif cwm23.gif cwm23.gif cwm23.gif

Comment

I can't rember what kind it was, but it was around 2 1/2" long.

Tat

Comment

Not to be taking sides but alot of people feed lizards to there snakes... If you look on alot of rodent sites they sell feeder lizards.. This is a normal practice... Like hogg nose snakes need frog and lizards so they stay on the healthy side....
                        Eric aka....Red

Comment

oh wow i never heard of that but it makes sence b/c you would think in the wild that they would eat pretty much anything, but it dosnt make sence that it would eat a reptile of pretty much its same kind.....LOL ;D

Comment

8)Yup i got a wild caught hognose snake and man he eats nothing but toads.. you wouldnt belive what i gota go thru just to make sure he gets his toads.... :-/ :-/

Comment

Well, there is some species of snakes that require strict diets such as lizards, toads, and even other snakes. It's part of mother nature, but trying to feed a snake that is a carnivore a lizard is stupidity. As many people know, most pet stores have no knowledge of how to care for what they sell. The best we can do is try to educate them. On to the topic. A lot of people get confuse with stargazing. Snakes, especially the ones that are brought into a new environment are curious and will sometimes show signs that may be directed as stargazing. If the snake recognizes your movements, then there is probably no problem. Lay the snake on it's back, if it struggles to flip back over, then that could be a bad sign. Read the articles posted, they are very well written. Keep in mind, that there is no cure for IBD. And if you ever happen to have one that gets it, you would definately not want to bring another snake into the environment until at least six months to a year.

Comment

Working...
                              X