This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flinching

Is it normal for my boa to flinch when i pet him? Is this a sign of him being frightened? Because after i pet him he move real fast into his hideout.
    PLEASE HELP>

Re: Flinching

i dont know what you mean by flinching but it sounds like he is scared just dont make fast moves toward him and work with him and maybe one day he will be better about it..

Comment

He's probably more startled then anything. Most of mine will flinch just a bit when I reach in to pet or pick them up. But as soon as they realize that it's just me, they start climbing up my arm. Like Diablo said, just work with them and hold them a lot. Eventually, he won't do it as much and if he does, he won't be so inclined to run to his hide as quickly. He'll get excited at the fact that he gets to come out of the cage. It just may take awhile.

Comment

I guess snakes go into a sleep like state... They don't really hear or see things somtimes.. Most of the time a snake is right on it... but somtimes you catch them sleeping... Or of course it is what they said before... One of the two...
        Eric aka....Red

Comment

HI,
          I ve noticed the younger snakes are more reflexive when touched, this is instinctive trait to fight or flight, as the boa ages this may take a year or longer they can learn to trust you and not recoil or threaten to strike, I have a young female boa that always assumes the (S) position when I enter her cage as long as I am not in her safe ( within striking distance) she leave me alone.  Shes never bit me to date I respect her wishes, if I take her out I throw a hand towel over her head and she's OK.
          She may never completely trust me, I don't mind she's ok once out of the cage. .  They are all different in personality a traits.
            The really nervous snakes probably do better in the wild than the really kicked back ones. hehe
            Doug

Comment

I just got a new female from Clay. She is over a year old and is verey flinchey snak for now. You just have to spend time working with them.

Tat

Comment

Working...
            X