This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humidity & the use of ultrasonic foggers

I have had ongoing problems with getting the humidity in my boas enclosure up to 50-60%. I have tried misting the cage & it works but I have to mist it every 30 minutes to maintain the 50-60% humidity level.

So today I got an Ultrasonic fogger to raise the humidity with......The only problem is it gets the substrate wet.
    The substrate I am using is artaficial turf. I don't want my boa getting belly rot so what I am thinking of doing is running the fogger in the morning to raise the humidity up to 70% and then leaving it off the rest of the day.

I don't want my boa getting belly/scale rot, but I need to do something to get the proper humidity.
    What do you guys think?

Re:Humidity & the use of ultrasonic foggers

Best thing to do is buy a Boaphile cage, but if thats not going to happen, stick with the fogger. I think wet substrate is ok for a short period of time, just dont want it always wet.

Comment

Well I decided I am going to take back the Fogger because the substrate got to wet.

I don't know what I am going to do yet but I am not using the fogger that is for sure.

I will keep you guys updated on the situation but I will go ahead and mark this subject as solved. But please if you have any advice or suggestions please post.

Comment

Since the humidity just won't go above 40% without drenching the substrate like the fogger did, the only thing I can think of is if I take my boa for a swim in the bath-tub for about 30 minutes a day.

What do you guys think?

Comment

Try larger water dish/reduced ventilation. Dont cut off too much of the ventilation though. I have a Vision 48x28x18, and what I do is put a towel over a little bit of the the ventilation in the back were the flourescent light is. If that doesnt work and you feel like your cutting off too much ventilation, try putting the water source closer to the heat source.

Comment

Hey Chambers,

Yeah I thought of that and tried that already, & it only got the humidity up to about 42% which is why I tried the Fogger.

I think I have tried everything just about everything there is to try. The only thing I think I can do now is just let my boa go for a swim in the bath-tub for about 30-40 minutes each day. maybe combine that with spraying her down real good a 2-3 times a day. :-\

Comment

Just so you know you have probley not and probley will not ever try every thing to raise humididty...
              This is what will work though..
              Put a wet towl over two thirds of the top of the cage....
              Take clay pots or the dishes that go under them... no glaze and make them into hides.... by knocking a hole in the side...
              Then soak them for half an hour and put in you snakes cage... these two things probley will do but if not then a slite missting every couple days will help may-be...
              The other thing that will work is getting a humidifyer for the room the snakes are in.... keep the humidity up at 60% and there will be no problem and no wet substrate....
              Hope this helps...
              Eric aka...Red

Comment

Oh ya' what type of humidity guage do you have... If it is analog then it is crap...
                Buy a digital one... they sell them at wal-mart.... 15-20$
                Just a after thought...
                Eric aka....Red
                P.s. I had a analog that I usta' use that said I was doing good at keeping the humidity up but infact I was keeping it around 25%
                with the new humidity guage I have no problems.

Comment

Hey Viper,

I think everything was covered.. Glad you ditched the fogger. The risk for belly rot would be there and trust me, belly rot is not something you want you snake to go through.. Only thing other then what has been suggested that might help is make a humidity box for your snake.. Try getting a nice size clay pot, make a nice hole in it, get a clay saucer and place it under the pot with the hole with some spegittim moss (sp) or orchard moss(sp) that is wet. It will alllow the snake to go in to a humid area and humidify itself when it wants. Kind of like when you make a egg laying box for snakes. If you soak the clay pot and saucer for atleast 30 mins like Red suggested, it should hold humidity for the day..

Good luck, hope this helped..

Steve

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys.

With the type of enclosure I have for my Boa I can't do the wet towl on the top so I will just let her go for a 30 minute swim and maybe mist her down 2-3 times a day.

But I think I will do that wet towl thing for my Ball Python.

Thanks again for all the help. b3.gif b27.gif

Comment

I can't emagine what type of encloser you can't use the wet towl trick inless it is a front opening one... in that case use the clay pots... The soaks will do no good... It is the inside of the snake that the humiddity helps... the lung function and digestion will get screwed up with out the humidity... Do you understand.. IF not I can leave a link to a site that explanes it better... But you have to get the humidity up.... and I mean you HAVE TOO...
                      If you have screen any where in the cage cover that... with a wet towl... Get the clay pots and soak them It makes my cage go up to HI witch is 100% When I do it... It also keeps the humidity up for like two to three weeks.... Please don't miss treat you snakes... I can say around here people are perty down on that...
                      I hope this helps.. and Please take the addvise you have been given... It is good and will work... I live in a place that has 15-25% humidity even right after a rain in 90 degree temps... so I probley battle humidity worse then 90% of the rep. comunity.. so don't try to tell me that none of this is working... I say suck it up and figure it out....
                      Eric aka....Red

Comment

Oh and misting two to three times a day is very bad for your snake... I would not suggest doing so.... Once tops...
                        Eric aka...Red

Comment

Hey Red,

I am posting some pics of the enclosure and its top. maybe it will give you some ideas on what all I can do to raise the humidity.

I will try putting a wet towel over one of the small rectangular vents that you see in the picture of the top that I have posted. Hopefully it will work.

Thanks Red, I really appriciate your help.

Comment

Enclosure

Comment

Well I took Reds suggestion with the towels and put a wet towel over the two rectangular vents on the top and it worked, the humidity is at 50 % and rising.

I didn't think there was enough vent area for it to work but it did.

All I can say is THHHHHAAAAAAAANNNNNNKKKKKSSS!!!!

Only one question left:
                              What size towel would I need to use on a 40 gallon critter cage for my Ball Python?

Comment

Working...
                              X