This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing from mice to rats...

What is the best method of switching from mice to rats?

Re: Changing from mice to rats...

Well the first step is to see if your snake will just take rats... Mine did...
    When they refuse a pre-item there are some ways to praswade them..
    One don't feed them anything else inless the snakes gets real thin
    Two you can make the rat smell like a mouse... by defrosting a rat and a mouse in the same bag... Mice smell more so the rat will take on a mouse smell.. If you feed like then put the rat in a cage that has been housing mice... Also there is a sent stuff that you can buy that will make a rat smell like a mouse...
    Well You know right now I can't remember any more so there you go try these...
    Eric aka....Red

Comment

I'm about to go through this same situation. Yesterday I fed my new BCC baby a pre killed mouse because my shipment f/t rats will be delayed till next week. This babys first few meals have been killed mice so I'm gonna try converting her to f/t rats next week. I don't think it'll be a problem. Once the smell enters her cage while I shake the rat in front of her, I'm sure she'll strike.

Comment

Boas usually have no problem switching over to rats. There are some exceptions in some such as ball pythons, if they are kept on mice, they usually refuse rats no matter what. Red stated some good things, scenting should do the trick if your snake will not take a rat. You could also try offering a smaller mouse followed by a rat. Sometimes you may have to just keep offering a rat until they switch over.

Comment

Also there is a sent stuff that you can buy that will make a rat smell like a mouse...
          Eric aka....Red
          Where can i buy that spray that contains the scent? Does it work good?

Comment

Can't remember the exact site myself, but try www.lllreptiles.com or www.bigappleherp.com . From those that I've heard that have used it, I hear it's a waste of money.

Comment

Yup I have herd it does not work that well... But of course I have herd just the oposit... So I don't know... I wouldn't buy anything... changing the snake over is a somthing that just takes time in some snakes.... I would give it no other choice... They will take it if they are hungry enuf...
              Eric aka....Red

Comment

Working...
              X