This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• after feeding attitude

I just got a subadult red tail and was told that it was a good idea NOT to feed it in its enclosure,but have a rubbermate tub to feed in . My question is after she eats what is the best way to put her back in her tank since she is alittle snappy.How long should I leave her in the feeding tub after her meal.The second half to my question is, Is it really nessesary to have a second feeding tub? I feed my last RTB in its enclosure its whole life and had never heard to have a feeding tub .Please let me know your experiences regarding this issue thanks Jon ???

Re:after feeding attitude

I think it's a matter of opinion.
    I have 4 snakes, 2 Boa Constrictors, 1 Ball Python, & 1 Burmese Python (all adults when I aquired them). I feed all of them in their enclosures and have not had a problem yet.
    When feeding them in their enclosures, you do want to watch what you are doing. DO NOT reach in the enclosure before washing your hands!!!! If your snake is hungry he could mistake you for food and bite and wrap you. If this happens, it would be your fault. No matter how long we have had our snakes, they still rely on their instincts to tell them what to do. "If it smells like food and I'm hungry I'm suppose to strike at it, wrap it, and swallow it."
    We make sure when we reach into our Burm's enclosure we pat her body with our hand so she knows it's us and not food. When we place her food in with her, we slide it on the floor into her side so she can feel the fur.
    I have friends that remove their snakes and feed them in containers and like the results. Everyone has their own opinion, which is usually what has worked for them. So long as you and your snake are happy with what you decide you have it made.

Comment

Hello Rotoboy,

Welcome to the forums..

I have always believed most accidents come from feeding in a snakes house.. Now don't get me wrong, 90% of these accidents happened after many years of no problem feeding in their homes. My belief is that when that cage door opens, the last thing I want to cross any of my snakes mind is that it may be food.. They sometimes react before they figure things out, too late by then.. Remember a snake does not think like you and me, they go 98% on pure instinct..

OK your main question.. I feed my snakes in feeder plastic tubs, just the plastic totes that are available any department stores.. I put fresh paper towels in them, and then the snake. I then get the fresh killed or thawed prey and use 14 inch blunt tipped tweezers and offer the food to the snake. Some take it mid air, others wait till it drops. Then I close the feed bin and let them eat.. After I see they are finished I try to let them sit in there for 30 mins to settle their food. Most I do reach right in and take them out easy and place them back home.. For ones that seem to always want another one, I will sometimes wait till they start coming out on their own and just pick them up, or if one doesn't want to come out on its own, I will tip the feed cage in the opening of their tank and 99% they will just go back on their own..

Hope this helped..

Steve

Comment

IMHO it is best to feed in tubs. I like to play it safe and not take the risk of a snake developing a cage door opening with food, especially on larger snakes like a BCI. There are on occasion some situations when feeding in a tub just does not seem to work. We have a ball python that would not take f/t unless it is put in his enclosure and left for an hour or more with the cage covered. I do take precautions there though, rather than just dropping prey into the cage it is offered on a lid from a sterilite container.

Comment

I strongly agree with Sclark

Smaller snakes like corn snakes, king snakes, ect. can be feeed in there cage, but when you are dealing with a snake that can get real big, and is capable of really packing a punch I think it is safer to feed in a seperate container.

Comment

I know a guy who had a python the developed a lid opening/food complex. It got to the point where anytime you went near the enclosure the snake became extremely aggressive.
            Depedning on you substrate I wouldnt feed corns in their enclosure either. My 3 tend to play with their food a bit. Which can cause some accidential ingestion of your bedding. After I had to pick bed a beast out of my reverse okeetees mouth I started feeding all of my snake in tubs.

Comment

thanks for the replies I just fed her yesterday so that gives me a week to get a tub with a lid (The one I fed her in yesterday did not havea lid that is why i tried to replace her in her home to early.) I like the idea of letting her come out at her own pace thanks for all the great info. and providing the GREATEST SITE AVAILIBLE ;D Keep up the good work (Us newbies NEED it ) PEACE JON

Comment

I agree with sclark...
                When they are snippy I put the hole tub back in the cage and let the snake just clime out....
                Eric aka....Red

Comment

I never used bead a beast for my corns, that is the last thing I would use for any snake ( in my opinion ) and they never had a problem with there bedding when it was aspen bark.

Comment

Bed a beast sticks to pinkies.
                    May I ask why you dont like bed a beast?

Comment

My guess is bed-a-beast is well known for being infested with little bugs.. If your gonna use bed-a-beast just gook it off as good as possible and use some provent a mite to be safe..

Steve

Comment

I have used it for a few lizards, and its bad enough for them. I keep all my snakes on newspaper. Doesnt look good but I dont got to worry and scale rot, them getting dirty, anything. I just dont like it. But everybody has there own opinions.

Comment

I always feed in a tote and usually make at least 45 minutes before placing them back in their cage. Sometimes it depends on the attitude of the snake.

Comment

iam w/ every 1 else...use a feeding tub..also you have to look at this..why is it snappy,nippy , or have an attitude,etc?? you feeding live or pre-killed? temps ok ? also i always waited a full hr before placing back in the cage.

Comment

i feed in a tub as well but i take the lid off and let them come out when they want . when they get almost all the way out i scoop em up and back home they go !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X