This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me!! Im freaking out!!

I just went to get my Boa Mitch out of his cage and I noticed he has what appears to be a dent in his eye. I've tested his vision adn it is fine. It doesnt seem to be bothering him but its freaking me out !! Has anyone ever seen this before. Im really nervous for my boy. What should I do?

Re: Help me!! Im freaking out!!

another pic harder to see though.. ??? :-[

Comment

:-[ another pic ???

Comment

Don't freak out. It's a left over eye cap from shedding. Take a piece of scotch tape, sticky side out. Lightly put it over the eye and very lightly lift out. The eye cap will come off, not hurting the snake one bit. It takes about 10 seconds and he'll be good as new!! ;D

Comment

Wait are you sure it is a eye cap.. Because when I first had my boa it was in extreamly low humidity and it had this same problem... raise the humdity and it will fix it's self if it is not a eye cap...
          But if it is not a eye cap and you try to take one off it could be a bad thing... Be very care full when you do anything to an eye of a boa...
          Eric aka....Red

Comment

Thanks Im going with red on this one because its been awhile since my boy has shed and I would have noticed an eye cap. I am having humidity problems but my range has been good lately at about 65-70 does it need to be higher?? s1.gif

Comment

No that is fine the ideal is 60%...
              Ok so you have good humditiy in the cage how about in the hide... Some times it can be more or less humid in the hides..
              Also try to give the lil' guy a bath... Just a genral rehydration.. May-be some pedealite in the water... it has electrolites in it and will help you boa process the water...
              I hope this helps...
              Eric aka....Red

Comment

I would advise against the tape, a lot of things can wrong if you make a mistake. Honestly, from the pics, it does not look like there is a retained eye cap. I would advise a couple of soaks and make sure the humidity is correct. Humidity is the upmost reason for dented eyes and the eye will usually go back to normal within a few sheds if all is right.

Comment

rusty my younger baby when i bought him his one eye was like that but very very tiny. ive noticed it getting smaller as time goes by dont know if thats wht your experiencing but it sounds like the same kinda thing

Comment

Ok I am stupid for not asking this before... Do you use one of those humidity gauges that is just a niddle pointing at a number or a color on a strip...?? If so alot of the time these are way off on there readings... I would advise spending I think it is for a triple display (indoor/outdoor temp and humidity at the same time-snake terms that means hot side and cool side..) it is less then twenty I don't own one my self got the older modle... It was 15$.. I would try this... When I got mine I found out I had been keeping my boas at 45% humidity.. Cheap crap...
                    Eric aka....Red

Comment

HI,
                      WHere's your water dish in the cage , it should be on the cool side of the cage some snakes hate warm water. If your using the water dish to add humidity add another. Young boa's may like to soak so I always use a dish that big enough for them to get into if they wish. The large ceramic water dishes the big dogs use are great.
                         doug

Comment

The only reason I suggested the tape thing, was because that's what the cause of a dent on one of my snakes. He has just shed, and a couple of days later I noticed a dent in one eye. I quickly got the shed out of the garbage on unrolled it and noticed that only one of the eye caps were there in the shed. I very lighty placed the sticky side of the scotch tape on the dented eye and the remaining eye cap came right off, with no ill effects to the snake. That was about a year ago. Ever since then, I unroll the shed immediatly after I take it out of the tank. Only had one of them not shed off the eye cap since, but no more dented eyes. Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone by my suggestions!!

Comment

I use the digital gauges myself and they work great. I've never come across an accurate stick on dial, they always seem to be off. Evil, you didn't offend me and I hope I didn't sound like you did.

Comment

Good, I'm glad I didn't offend anyone by my suggestion. It just kind of sounded like everyone was ganging up on me b/c of my suggestion. Sorry, didn't mean to over react.

Comment

Thanks everyone its starting to clear up now...humidity was lower then i thought I traded in what Red likes to call the piece of s5.gif with the little needle and bought the walmart teamp/humidity digital I thought I was at 60 but it was more like 45!! Darn cheap stuff!! Thanks everyone. I wasnt offende by the scotch tape thing I just dont like to play with my boas eyes.

Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                              X