This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• killing a mouse before giveing it to my snakes

how the hell can i kill a mouse?????i dont have the heart to swing it against something and it is way to mutch $ to get that gas stuff to knock them out or whatever it does i want a easy way to kill them without doind something brudal???what do i do couse right now he is eating live and i dont want him to get bitt.....

Thanks

Re: killing a mouse before giveing it to my snakes

Well there is no other way that you don't just kill the thing... Put it in a bag and swing it against a counter... Grab by the tail... swing against the counter...
    Take a dowl large diamater and place behind the head and roll forward...
    The gas stuff I have never herd of it... Do you mean dry ice... If so it is really cheap... You just have to find a butcher that lives near you they will have some to give up most of the time... All you do with dry ice is put it in a sealed container with a lil' bit of water and wamo you have a gass chamber....

But by far the best way to get the animals killed with out you doing so is buying frozen mice...
    www.cajunmice.com
    This is where I get mine from they are a lil' more then others from what i have herd but they send them in vacuum sealed bags and will put just about any amount in one sealed bag.. And just about as many bags as you want...
    Well good luck...
    Paying sombody to do it every week like a lil' kid could be cheaper maybe... I would not bet on it though..
    Eric aka....Red
    P.s. You might want to look in on feeding your snake rats... They will make you snake gain weight easyer with less lives lost...

Comment

another way is rodent pro.com or there are plenty of others i just dont know them all, i have ordered my first purchase through them and i am waiting for it to arrive any day!!!i found buying live then killing was costing me wayyyy more money.!!!! even when i add the shipping costs in i still come out almost 10 bucks cheaper.

Comment

8) If its a mouse put it on the counter or table, hold it by its tail and use the heavey end of a metal butter knife and wack it on the back of its neck, one good wack should do it.. i have no probs killing prey for my snakes, rats you need something alittle heavier to wack them with in the back of the neck.. And no bloody mess to clean up.. Just make sure the prey is dead.. ;D

Comment

what about putting it in a zip lock bag and letting it suffacate or how ever you spell it...will that be ok

Comment

HI,
            You should really try to switch to fresh thawed rodents that have been humanely killed with CO2 by the rodent breeder.
             The baggy idea will cause the animal to panic and he may actually chew thru the bag before his death.
              I have killed rodents along time ago and I have been bit a few times for my efforts by the rodents.
               I have found that holding the rodent on the counter or desk with a board or book( press the board on its head on the counter facing down )the remainder of the rodent should be clear of the board , I would then swiftly pull the rodent backend up by the tail you will feel the neck break and this stops its heart almost instantly, like throwing a switch. I feel this is the most humane method for killing the rodents. I to have problems killing rodents. I have  kept snakes for around four years and haven't killed a rodent in over two. I buy large orders from the rodent -pro rat breeder and thaw 4-5 rats in an ice cooler with warm water and blot them with paper towels and my boa's love them damp warm rats.
            This two and 1/2 year old guyana has only been feed thawed rats.

This hog island was a difficult snake to feed , I now have her conditioned to sit and stare at the rat and then I tap her side with the rat she grabs it and down the hatch, hey what ever works. If you find your snake would rather feed alone thats what I'lld do at feeding use a feeding box or ice chest.
              The longer your snake feed on fresh thawed they seem to actually calm down, they almost become tame when feeding, this prevents the need to become hostile when stressed it really improves the boa's disposition. This will prevent that accidental bite that can occur in stressed snake.
              Many people are over feeding , and that makes it really hard to convert, some snake strike at the live food defensivlely and then the feeding response sort of kicks in, in most case feeding less is better than more.   I track all my snakes on 3/5 cards one per snake this prevents over feeding.
             Review the care sheets and try to convert to fresh thawed its worth the time and effort, I have about 40 jumbo rats in the freezer and 30 med and 20 smalls they will be fresh until I need them and I have never been bit  buy any of them nor my snakes.
             And another big plus is when you freeze rats/mice you kill the worms' lice' and mites they may have  on and in them this prevents problems in your snakes and snakes can get worms from feeding fresh killed rats/ mice .
              doug

Comment

well the reason i am feeding him live mice is becouse he would not pay any attention to a frozen pinkey no matter what i did, and i think i found the reason was becouse he was way to big to be eating a small pinkey so i will try to switch to frozen again and maybe he will eat it this time so thanks alot for the help ya....
              ;D

Comment

how about putting them in a tupperware cont. and freezing them alive .its not very humane but does the trick

Comment

yea i might try that sounds mean but i dont give a sh!t couse i hate mouses..LoL ;D

Comment

Hold an object such as a ruler on the back of the mouse or rat's head and grab the tail. Jerk upwards in a hard and fast motion, this will dislocate the snake's spine and kill it instantly if done properly. Feeding frozen thawed prey is by far the best, especially with those without the will to kill a live mouse or rat. The freezing method would more than likely work, but think about the slow and painful death the rat or mouse is having to endure when it could die instantly. There is really no humane way to kill a prey item, but it's always better to kill it the fastest possible way then to make it suffer.

Comment

I have to agree with the rest. Buy them frozen there are many vendors you can get them from. If you dont want to go that route I reccomend using the hold by tail swing hit table method or put him in a bag and swing and hit table. If you don't have the stones to kill them yourself you should be buying prekilled. Ask the store you buy from some of them will kill them for you. I don't advice the tupperware in the freezer trick! For one thats ****ed up!! The rat is food for your snake..yeah I know hes going to die but at least make it quick for him. Freezing him
                      alive isn't to cool and not to fair for the rat. :-/

Comment

Ya the red and white blood cells pop when they get too cold like a can of soda in the freezer.. That is one painful death...
                        Eric aka...Red

Comment

yea not like i was going to do that..heres what happened....my bp wouldnt eat frozen pinkies i thought they were way to small but u tryed everything and finnaly i switched to common mice or cajun mice so i had bought 5 of them and kept them in a extra aquarium i had and i just thought it was a bad ideal feeding them live so i was looking for a easy way to kill them but i dont have the heart to do that so im just going to finish off the 2 i have left and then try frozen again maybe it will work this time...
                          and dont think i wanted to do something that was a slow painfull death so thanks for all the help ya....

Trevor

Comment

HI,
                            I see in your last post you have a BP, never leave a snake with
                            a stuned or so called dead animal they can wake up and  chew up your snake, the damage you see in the PICS was caused by a mouse.
                            http://www.koalaskritters.net/livefeeding.html
                            RAts are smarter and meaner..
                              doug

Comment

Working...
                            X