This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay i have a question..

will a 10 gallon tank be ok to house a red tail boa for a couple months??

Re: Clay i have a question..

sorry i left it out its a baby and it is about 2 months old and pretty small

Comment

Hello diablo,

I know you asked Clay, so i hope you don't mind me chiming in. I know Clay gets real busy at times.. A 10 gallon for a 2 month old red-tailed boa is fine for a few months. Rule of thumb with snakes it your tank should be no smaller then 2/3's of the snakes body in lenth. Big is good for an older snake, but when there young I find that they feel more secure in a smaller tank. I had a 4 foot ball python that was in a 2x4x2 cage and he was always in his hide. I moved him to a 20 gallon for a few weeks and he was always surfing and chilled on top of the hide instead of in it..

Hope that helps, and I hope you don't mind I answered..
      Best Regards
      Steve

Comment

ok thanks for the help the only reason i am going to have him in a 10 g is becouse i am still looling for about a 55g.

Thanks ;D

Comment

A couple of months?  Yes.. Any longer and you will quite possibly run into other problems.  It is impossible to adequately provide a temp gradient for any snake in that small of a container.. You can provide the necessary heat levels but not the basking and ambient temps that are a necessity to the ongoing health of the boa..

So temporarily okay..  I tell everyone that a 20 long is the minimum recommended size for starting a boa...
          To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
          -Clay English
          Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

if you are looking for an aquarium, (though difficult to maintain exact temp/humid.), I got mine by getting to know the folks at the pet store, and they just let me know when they have a cracked tank, I pick 'em up for next to nothin'. Mine all have very small-unnoticable cracks that I just face in the back-No problem.

??? perpetually confused
            Lisa

Comment

oh really!!how do you get to know them??lol......but i will call the pet store here and ask

Comment

Working...
              X