This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striking while bouncing a Ball

Today my snake was in the hideout and i started bouncing a ball rapidly in front of the cage. My snake immediately started to come out and he struck into mid air. Not at the ball, but in mid air. Why would this happen? I didn't even feed him yet. Last feeding was on Monday.

Re:Striking while bouncing a Ball

The vibrations from the ball bouncing infront of the cage is what did it . I would not bounce anything around where my snakes are kept at all being that could cause stress and possibly concurr in sickness.

LEE

Comment

HI,
      My guess is that beings the snake is totally deaf to sound but ultra sensative to vibration you may have been irritating the heck out of your reptile. Sending all that viabration probably felt like a herd of horses to that snake. I try ad not tick off my reptiles they may bite the next time you enter the cage.
      I don't allow people to rap on the glass to see if the snakes hiding, my snakes like a quiet and calm approach. :.
      My guess your snake was just reacting to a very stressfull sensation. :P
      Doug

Comment

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Lee's right, its the virbations. The snake was probably in a defensive mode considering they can't see much and could've felt threatend. They use vibrations, heat and taste to sence there world when they hunt or to put up a defensive mode when they feel threatend. All that bouncing could stress her out and make her strike like that. And yea doug, people try that tapping on the glass stuff with my boa to see if she'll move and thats grounds for getting kicked in the butt or kicked out the house, which ever comes first. LOL I gotta let em know when they ask to see her.

Comment

Have to agree for the most part with what everyone else said.. The boa was put in defence mode because of the bouncing.. I would avoid doing that again. Too much stress on the snake could lead to many other problems..
            Steve

Comment

Yup I have to agree with everyone else.

TAT 8)

Comment

Why were you bouncing a ball rapidly in front of your snakes cage anyway, silly. Just kidding, I just had to tease you..........
                Everyone else gave you the answer.......... ;D

**Beth**

Comment

Does the vibrations from music affect the snake in the same manner. Is it not cool to play the radio in the same room as the snake. and how about surround sound movies and things like that
                  and while we are on the subjsect of irratating the snake how do they react to the smell of alchol and "smoke".....just wondering?

Comment

Hey all,

I wanted to add some thought on this subject.. Any vibrations over a period of time will stress 99% of snakes like crazy.. Since their whole nero system is based on vibrations, it would be like someone tapping on your head all the time.. Don't you think that would drive you nuts?

As for having a snake or lizzard over or very close to a TV, speakers from music, etc.. That could do more then just stress the animal, it could cause them to regurg, go off feed, etc... A lot of you have seen pics of Midnight, my real dark Boa.. She never skipped a meal in her life, till the one day I moved the room around and put her cage on a Unit that had a TV in it.. She went off feed for the month it was there, and didn't start feeding again till 24 hours after I made a stand and put her cage on the stand.. Now she is back on feed, no more issues...

Steve

Comment

very well put steve.

LEE

Comment

One day my sister in law was holding my almost 7 footer and was listening to loud music sitting at the computer. She says that Ezzie started hissing. I didn't hear it myself, but I am sure she was telling the truth. I've never heard my two bigger snakes hiss. She must have been really irratated.

**Beth**

Comment

I can see were Stevo is comming from, but I have always had my snakes and lizards near my TV, and VERY loud System. Plus I listion to hip hop soo all that booming. But over all the years of me owning snakes and playing my music loud from what I can tell they are still the sname snake. My current BCI has been with me in this loud room for more than a year now and she is perfect. I think as long as you dont play the music extremely loud, and give the snake some quite time everyday they should be fine. I actually think that a snake or lizard can get used to the sounds it hears everyday. But thats just my 2 centz!

Comment

I know a guy who tested the music thing out with his demurals boa and he said he got the most activity out of music like tool and bands like that. ??? He figured he liked it cuz the boa would come out for only that type of music but I would listen to everyone else here. Put your head right next to my subwoffers in my ride and let me bump that in your ear, dude, I tried that and it ain't pretty. LOL. ;D 8)

Comment

Working...
                            X