This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help

this is my first boa that i have the person that i got him from told me to live feed it but i've been reading what other people have been saying about live feed and frozen if i feed him frozen will he take it as live feed or iam going to have a hard time changing him over to frozen
    ???

Re:help

Hi Twisted,

All snakes are different. Most Boas take to fresh killed or Frozen thawed with zealous.. But some do need a little effort to get them switched.. Just make sure that you fully thaw the prey. The last parts to thaw 100% are the head and center belly.. After its 100% thawed, put it in a plastic bag and soak it in hot water for 20-30 mins.. Make it nice and warm.. And dnagle it in front of your snake.. It should take it pretty soon.. If it backs away just drop it in, and give him some time to find it.. Some boas will need you to leave the prey in the feed tank for a couple of hours.. If that doesn't work some additional things to try is making the prey item slightly wet, that will increse the smell of the prey. Some swear by putting some chicken broth on the prey.. There are may tricks.. Try these see what happens. if no luck post again and we can add some things to try..

Good luck and keep us posted.. Glad you are not giving him live..

Steve

Comment

Just to add to what Sclark said when you are dangeling it in front of your snake make sure that yoou use rubber tiped thongs rather than your hand. It is better to have the snake tag the thongs than your hand.

TAT 8)

Comment

You don't have to dangle it the first try, just place it where ever you feed it and see if the snake will go for it on it's own. If it doesn't work then try what the others suggested. Steve has tons of tricks. Just thought I would add that........
        I pre-kill my snakes food and just lay it in. (should be feeding in a seperate tub) My snakes only strike at it half the time. Usually they will just go right up to it and start eating.
        You will be amazed at how much more tame your snake will be and it's easier to build trust too. At least thats how I feel. Just my two cents........

**Beth**

Comment

I never did the dangle thing I would just wet the rat down with hot water then take the thongs and hold it by the tail and put the prey item on the opposite side of the feed tank then move it back and forth across the bottom of the tank to get Mitch's attention then just let go and mitch cruises over and tags it...

Comment

I pre kill mine to Its alot easier then thawing out.. When I pre kill I don't wet them down but, do the same trick...

Comment

if none of that works u could also try and i mean try this with tongs not your hands is tap the boa on the nose a couple of times and it should encourage a strike from the snake to the prey in feeding response and then just close the lid on the feed tank and come back in 20 to 30 min afterwards and vualla no more rat. lol works everytime for me if none of mine take it when i throw it in there i just pick it up with tongs and tap the nose and BAM.

LEE

Comment

Most boas have no problem at all converting to frozen/thawed prey items. Most of the time they will take it with no effort at all. A few times you may have to work with them to convert them. I have some who won't strike at all when you dangle the prey, but as soon as it hits the tote, they grab it. Afterall, it all depends on the snake.

Comment

I've never had a problem switching from live to frozen/thawed prey. My girl eats whatever you put in front of her. If you don't feel comfortable dangleing it, just drop it in, she'll get it.

Comment

Working...
                  X