This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BACKWARDS EATER

I've had my baby boa for almost a month already and 2 of the 3 times that i tried to feed him he tries to eat the mouse backwards. I know this happens once in a while, but is there something I can do to help him take it nose first or is my boa just backwards??? Thanks

Re: BACKWARDS EATER

Would not worry to much, it happens quite a bit. Mine even once ate a mouse sideways, just folded it in half with no ill effects. As long as your boa is eating don't worry as I don't think there is anything you can do to get it to eat it's food "forwards".

Comment

8)I got a argentine cross boa that likes to eat his rats backwards every now and then.. Are you feeding F/T if so then just take and cut the tip of the nose off and that should help...

Comment

It's normal and some do it quite a bit. It's also a sign that you may need to offer a bigger prey item, but that is not always the case.

Comment

XzyluM has a good point.. If the prey item is very small in relation to the boa, they will normally just grab it and start eating it.. Sometimes not even constricting at all.

Boas that are fed appropriate sized prey should be seen "sniffing" the rodent after constriction. They will often sniff(lick) for a long time, and with the incredible power of this sense they can easily distinguish the head from the rear.. Genetics insure they do this to make it much easier to swallow the prey item. This is the general behavior.

But there are many exceptions to this rule. The best example I have is when feeding thawed prey items to large boas for years. They become so accustomed to eating them, that many of them don't even constrict anymore. Just grab and eat. And during this process some will start swallowing however they grabbed it.... I have seen huge females actually fold a jumbo rat in half during the eating process. Of course their powerful muscles will straigten things out before long...

So check the size of the prey, but don't worry about the backwards eating.... Except of course they may poop it out backwards later on ;D
          To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
          -Clay English
          Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. One of mine insists that eating it backwards is the newest and hippest thing!!!! He has eaten his rats backwards since I've had him. It doesn't matter what size you give him. But you know, they say the butt is the sweetest part!!!! ;D As long as he's eating, I figure that's all the matters.

Comment

Working...
            X