X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needles
    replied
    Re: Defecation

Does seem a little small in size, did you notice any swelling around the cloaca, like he is ready to defecate?

Leave a comment:

• monkeywrench133
    replied

Originally posted by POSHO
    He is two and half year and is a 3ft long.
    That's seems pretty small for a boa that age, even a male. Is he a normal BCI? or one of the island localities?

Leave a comment:

• POSHO
    replied

thanks for the info

Leave a comment:

• POSHO
    replied

He is two and half year and is a 3ft long.

Leave a comment:

• monkeywrench133
    replied

Originally posted by shivaboa
    It should poop at least once after each meal. To soak your snake, soak in warm water for 1 to 2 hours. Either let it swim or manually swish the tail back and forth in the water. Either action brings water into the cloaca to rehydrate the snake. If you let it swim, let it swim for 5 minutes at a time, then rest for 5 minutes at a time.
    This is bad information. Boas will take several meals before defecating. It is not unusual for an adult boa to go a month without defecating, and have several meals in that time. Juveniles usually defecate more often, but there is no set schedule. But juveniles will also take multiple meals before defecating.

That is why I asked about the age and size of your boa.

Also, soaking may cause the boa to defecate, but at this point we don't know that constipation is the problem. Shiva is making an ASSumption.

I personally believe that soaking a boa unnecessarily stresses the animal out, and should only be done when there is a specific need. Swimming is not a natural action for boas, and that will stress them out even more.

And snakes do not rehydrate by soaking, that's the equivelant of saying that when a human is thirsty, they should go sit in the bathtub.

Leave a comment:

• shivaboa
    replied

Constipation is often due to dehydration. YOu can soak your snake to get it to poop. It should poop at least once after each meal. To soak your snake, soak in warm water for 1 to 2 hours. Either let it swim or manually swish the tail back and forth in the water. Either action brings water into the cloaca to rehydrate the snake. If you let it swim, let it swim for 5 minutes at a time, then rest for 5 minutes at a time.

Leave a comment:

• monkeywrench133
    replied

depends on how old/big your boa is.

Leave a comment:

• POSHO
    started a topic Defecation

Defecation

Should I be worried if my Boa hasn't gone in the last month and half? I've fed him like every ten days for that time frame and to this day he hasn't please advise?
Working...
X